Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

galevelasco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted it because one of the cameras would not connect. The base station shows a solid amber light. I reset my router and Arlo multiple times. Any more ideas why it won't connect? Thanks

429 REPLIES 429
txsteph4
Aspirant
Aspirant
Internet led is always amber. router worked for 6 0r 7 months. did notice it wasn't recording periodically. I added ports 123, 80 and 443- no change factory reset my Verizon router after these port changes didn't work yes, I have replaced Ethernet cable-still not working factory reset 3 or 4 times- still not working Model VMB3000 MAC DCEF09B3033B
txsteph4
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same issue.

internet LED is amber.

things I've tried:

factory reset arlo router

set ports 123, 80 and 443 on verizon router

after port additions didn't change anything, I factory reset my verizon router

switched ethernet ports on verizon router to arlo router-no change

replaced the ethernet cable from arlo router to verizon router, 3 different cables-no change

factory reset arlo router again-no change

Uninstalled router and now it wont discover device because of internet connection.

MAC DCEF09B3033B

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd suspect a bad base.  Is the system new enough to swap at the store for a different one?  If not, you'll need to open a trouble ticket for additional troubleshooting leading to an RMA.

Frustrated2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello my unit stopped working after 6 months. I have reset it several times and only get the power light to come on. I've pressed the reset button along with the sync button without success. my unit serial number is 48935B74A725A. Please assist.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Frustrated2016,

If you are getting no Internet LED this indicates the base station is not connected to the router.

Consider trying a different ethernet cable and/or plugging in to a different port on the router.

You might also try connecting a different device to the router via ethernet and see if it gets an internet connection to further isolate the issue.

Additionally, a factory reset can be performed on the base station by pressing and holding down the reset button until all LEDs flash amber. (the sync button is not needed for a factory reset)

JamesC

Frustrated2016
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello JamesC,

I have reset the base station and I am still only seeing the power led light up the other two lights are not lit. I have tested the ethernet cord in my router with my PC computer and the PC computer is working just fine. I had this unit since 2/13/2016 and haven't had any problems until just recently. Prior to this, I was have issues with the night vision working, but I was able to trouble shoot the issue on my own.  What do you suggest I do to get my unit running again? Is this a defective unit?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you used the same port on the router with both the base and laptop, sounds like a bad port on the base.  A trouble ticket would get you an RMA.

RalphRoss
Tutor
Tutor

My cable modem/router got reset and right after, like many folks, my Arlo Base Station won't connect to internet now. It has run fine for 1 year. I tried all the various resets and power on/off stuff to no avail. Time Warner tired to help but they could not. I think the Base Unit died. However I had a little WNCE Wireless adapter, tried to connect with that and it didn't work. Then I connected the WNCE wireless adapter to a NetGear 5 port switch and then plugged the Arlo Base station into a switch port and it did light up amber then green for the internet connection. Puzzling to say the least. I don't know if I could configure the Base unit in this setup to work properly but expect it would lower connectivity distance. Anyway that's a fact and maybe an expert could have a clue to figure out something more about the initial problem i.e. the Base Unit won't connect anymore to the cable modem ports that it once used. I know the cable modem ethernet ports are working since I can plug a PC into any of the four ports and the PC connects. I'll have to assume for now that the Base unit is not handshaking with the Cable modem ethernet ports anymore and therefore it is nfg.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RalphRoss,

If the base station got an internet connection when using the switch, this would mean there is an issue with the modem/router.

Using the switch shouldn't affect connectivity as this has no affect on the cameras ability to communicate with the base station.

JamesC

RalphRoss
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC, Thank you for the reply. You are absolutely correct. I was pretty sure since the Base Station got connected via my switch and wireless adapter, that Time Warner's router had to be bad or bad settings. Ultimately Time Warner agreed they must have messed up my router when they fixed another problem; and they reset the router to factory and presto everything connected.  Although of course I had to collect all my cameras and resync etc. The Arlo software is really good and easy to use so re-setting up is like 5 minutes or less. One detail that may be important is that when I reset the router via the little button on the back it doesn't really do a full reset (since I noticed my password weren't reset etc.). But for Time Warner and probably others you need to go to the web page of your router and go to Utilities and select factory reset from the options. Sorry this is a long note, but I see lots of people thinking the Base Station went kaput and I'll bet their service provider router is bad. TW wanted to put me in Bridge mode, but that's not what fixes the problem (that's for using your own router and WiFi box). So don't be misled by that.  

bwperry
Aspirant
Aspirant

Amber light stays on ...... Will not connect to internet...... Checked plugins, cables, modem..... Etc... I see several others have same problem...... I spent a lot of money on this and doesn't work. Can't get setup on 

IPhone.... " Netgear Genie".... Will not open !!!!!!    I need an answer !!!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

bwperry wrote:

Amber light stays on ...... Will not connect to internet...... Checked plugins, cables, modem..... Etc... I see several others have same problem...... I spent a lot of money on this and doesn't work. Can't get setup on 

IPhone.... " Netgear Genie".... Will not open !!!!!!    I need an answer !!!

Try and re-set the Arlo base... hold in the reset button for about 10 seconds till front led's falsh, then try to install again.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And if that doesn't work, open a ticket with support using the Support link at the top here.  I don't understand why folks battle endlessly with a problem when it can be resolved using the proper method to get bad hardware replaced.

banking
Aspirant
Aspirant

I used a new Ethernet Cable, reset the Base and it the GREEN Arlo indicator does not come on. The Internet connection indicator just blinks that is it. I do not know what is going on guys.

RalphRoss
Tutor
Tutor

Here's an excerpt from how I solved it. In my case it was not hardware and it may not be hardware for you either. I presume you are connected to a Cable Modem/Router via one of its ethernet ports. If the settings in the CableModem/Router have been messed up it WILL cause the failure you see. Reset the cable modem to factory settings and you may resolve the problem. Now notice in my text below that resetting via the button on the back of the router does NOT reset it completely, you must log into the routers web page and go to Utilities or Tools (may be different for different cable modems) and find the reset to factory option and execute it. Of course you still may have a bad cable modem op a bad Arlo Base Station. Good Luck.

Ultimately Time Warner agreed they must have messed up my router when they fixed another problem; and they reset the router to factory and presto everything connected.  Although of course I had to collect all my cameras and resync etc. The Arlo software is really good and easy to use so re-setting up is like 5 minutes or less. One detail that may be important is that when I reset the router via the little button on the back it doesn't really do a full reset (since I noticed my password weren't reset etc.). But for Time Warner and probably others you need to go to the web page of your router and go to Utilities and select factory reset from the options. Sorry this is a long note, but I see lots of people thinking the Base Station went kaput and I'll bet their service provider router is bad. TW wanted to put me in Bridge mode, but that's not what fixes the problem (that's for using your own router and WiFi box). So don't be misled by that.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

banking wrote:

I used a new Ethernet Cable, reset the Base and it the GREEN Arlo indicator does not come on. The Internet connection indicator just blinks that is it. I do not know what is going on guys.

The Internet LED should never blink.  It should be off, amber or green, solidly.  If the suggestion above doesn't solve your issue (if it's your own router, you may need to do this yourself), open a case using the Support link at the top here.  Or, if the system is new enough, return to the store and swap for another system.

Frustratedjrw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just bought this thing after a recommendation. The first thing I'm told to do is connect the hub. It doesn't connect to the main internet hub although the Ethernet cable is plugged in. Only the power button is on. Have pressed the reset and sync buttons until all lights flashed amber. Then the green power light stayed on. Nothing else

Serial number 48E3637YA159A

I will wait two days for an answer and if not it's going back and the reviews will be shared throughout the web

Frustratedjrw
Aspirant
Aspirant

What does "power cycle the base station" mean?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The reset process with the newer firmware is to use only the reset button to reset the base.  Hold it until the LEDs flash amber and let it reboot.

ALso, no Internet light at all means no connection to the router.  That can be a bad cable or a bad port on either the base or the router.

Frustratedjrw
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I've used the cable Arlo included in these pack. I'm using the router ports for other devices without problem. Do I go buy another cable, in case that's the problem - or should Arlo send me a new one?

RalphRoss
Tutor
Tutor

I would do a factory reset on your router (not the Arlo). DOn't just push the little reset button usually on the back, instead go the routers web page and go to Utilities and do a factory reset there. This cleared up my problem. The factory reset should not harm any important settings in your router - you will have to enter WiFi passwords again though. If yoiu want, you can call your provider and they will do the reset. If the Arlo doesn't work after this action, I would take it back.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Frustratedjrw wrote:

So I've used the cable Arlo included in these pack. I'm using the router ports for other devices without problem. Do I go buy another cable, in case that's the problem - or should Arlo send me a new one?

Just swap temporarily with a known good one and go from there.

RalphRoss
Tutor
Tutor

I don't think it is a cable. It is your cable modem from your internet provider most likely, at least that's what it was for me. YOu need to reset the Internet providers router that you are plugging into - a factory reset done from the web page of this router. Your internet provider will do it for you if you don't know how. Settings in this router can get messed up and block the Arlo from doing it's job. Don't just push the reset button on the back of the internet provider's router, that does not do a full factory reset. I know this stuff because of what happened to me. Good luck.

Frustratedjrw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. Got connected, and all good. Now need to learn how to reduce the sensivity of the cameras - the slightest breath of wind or motion sets off an alarm.

I'm grateful for your help.

RalphRoss
Tutor
Tutor

Glad you are working. To set sensitivity, open your Arlo program then selecrt settings. You'll have to repeat this for each camera. Select a camera, then select 'Motion Detection Test". You'll see a slide bar probably set at 80%. Set it lower to reduce the sensitivity of the camera. Arlo does it like this so you can go test if it see's motion and keep making adjustments . When happy click the little green check mark at the end of the adjustment bar or it won't be saved. Some settings also require you to click on Save, but this one just uses the check mark.