Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base setup fails (VMB 3500)

Discussion stats
NoniBare
Initiate
Initiate

I cannot get past the setup of this base station (VMB3500, part of the VMS3330 security system).  The power and internet lights are both green (camera sync light is amber). I am able to begin the setup process,, and the base station is recognized, but the process fails after I try to assign a name to the device. When attempting the base station setup via my PC, I get the error message "Aria Account creation failed." When I attempt it through the app, I get "We're sorry, Arlo is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

Neither of these error messages are remotely descriptive. This is a new setup and I've factory reset the base twice. Anyone got any solutions?

122 REPLIES 122
Tgrldy
Initiate
Initiate
I plugged in the Base station, the top two lights are green just like it says they should be. I go in the app and select to add a Base station, then it finds the serial number or whatever it is, I change the name of it, and then it says that no devices are found. Please help.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try it via the web to see if it's the system or app....

https://arlo.netgear.com/

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Tgrldy
Initiate
Initiate

When I try it on my laptop it says "aria account creation failed".

alynne84
Guide
Guide

alynne84
Guide
Guide
I personally feel that if it cant be fixed within the 4-5 days I should have a replacement base sent to me that is at the least equal to the 3500.
I also wonder how long this has been an issue, my system was bought on Black Friday, given to me as a gift.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you already created an account, don't use the New to Arlo selection - just log in. Use the Add Device selection on the Devices tab to claim the base. If that doesn't work, hold the base reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Let the base reboot and try again.

I'll bet this is a VMB3500 base - there are a number of similar complaints here. If needed, open a case with support here:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

matto4896
Initiate
Initiate

i am having the same problem. Using my PC i get "Aria account creation failed". Using my iphone i enter a base station name, then hit continue and the next screen tells me i have no alro systems connected please try again. 

please help

DavidStracener
Guide
Guide

I'm having the same issue and looked through numerous threads on here and found nothing much, but a bunch of mad people with like issues in the past. Seems like Arlo blames it on your ISP, I connected my Alexa,Roomba,Roku, etc without any issue to my WIFI.

Using my android Arlo app (after connecting everything as instructed), it's says "base found" and then ask me to give the base a name, but it fails there with a message like "Arlo is currently unavailable, try again later". I tried about 20 times during the day yesterday and once again this morning, but failure again. I have even did the base reset and tried using my sons Iphone and it still fails at the naming of base. Pretty frustrating. I may try using my work laptop tonight and see what happens. I will update after I try it.

Guess I should have read up more on these before buying, but I can take it back.

Lrdoneyko
Aspirant
Aspirant
We’ve tried two different phones as well as our lap top. We’ve called now three times and the reps have absolutely no clue what we are talking about. One even literally told me I was wrong and not getting the error I’m getting. They keep saying it’s a known issue and they are working on it. Truthfully, well probably just return our system. The most frustrating part is that there is no support from Arlo! Ridiculous!
I was told to email support@arlo.com ... it returned as undeliverable.
I also got this email “Your Case 40663727 is waiting for closure.
If you didn't respond it will be closing automatically in next 3 days.” I tried to respond to that email and it returned as undeliverable as well. The issue is clearly still an issue. I’m over it!!!!
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link below for you - Arlo Tech Support

Spiba
Tutor
Tutor
I was told to wait 3-4 days as they will have a fix. That was on Jan-11-2019. So far cannot connect. Anyone else been told the same?
DavidStracener
Guide
Guide

I hear you.

Tried mine at work. Failed, didn't find device. Took it to my neighbors and used his ISP, it found device, but got the same failure when trying to name base.

He has a system like Arlo called the Blink XT and it looked really easy and he had no problems setting it up at his house. We took it down to my house and the Blink XT setup with no problems. The Blink XT does not use a LAN line and is totally WIFI (cheaper also).

Going to Lowes to swap out the Arlo with a Blink.

Good luck to you man.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is this a new base station or is it pre owned? 

Sue1957
Star
Star

Hello, Im wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to set up my arlo cameras for the first time. When I get to the page that you name your base I get a message saying that aria account creation failed. When I try on my phone I get the message no arlo device found. Model number VMB3500 set of 3 cameras. First two lights are green and the third light is yellow. I have uninstalled the app and and rebooted the router and modem and still got same results. Thank you

DavidStracener
Guide
Guide
Welcome to the Arlo pit of misery. 1/2 the threads on here are about this and they just ignore it. They have no clue or care.

Trust me , return it and get a Blink XT.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'll bet this is a VMB3500 base which has a number of similar issues recently. Swap at the store and/or open a case with support here:

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the base a VMB3500? There's recent reports of the same issue. Swap at the store and/r open a case with support here:

Sue1957
Star
Star

Thank you for you reply. That’s really disappointing to hear but I think I will take your advice. Is there any other cameras that you would recommend along with the blink xt. Thank you for your help. 

Sue1957
Star
Star

Yes it is. I think I will return it and find a different brand. Tech support was gonna charge me 199.00 to help because it was over 30 days old. The web site says 90 days. Thank you for your reply. 

DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

@Sue1957 sorry to hear you are experiencing this. We have reported this to our engineering team and they are investigating. And also note that we do not charge to receive support at this time, so it sounds like you spoke with fake tech support. We do what we can via our legal team to stay on top of getting those taken down, but unfortunately a new one pops up each day. When you need to contact us, go to our support site to ensure you are contacting real Arlo tech support: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx. For more information, you can read our KB article "How can I avoid Arlo support scams?".

arlofrustration
Star
Star
ya I’m having the exact problem as described above. 2 laptops 3 smartphones bypassed firewall nothing works. Tempted to purchase arlo pro Base station but worry it’ll be same ol story. Very disappointed with this BS!!! Hope arlo owns up ASAP
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

They have owned up:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/quot-Arlo-is-unavaiilable-quot-while-setting-up-Can-t-find-a/m-p/...

Part of the problem is that there are many threads on this so getting the info to each one can be an issue.

arlofrustration
Star
Star
Well the reset fix ain’t it. Arlo is crap! I’ll throw some puts on their stocks since this is a common problem with them I’m sure shares will tank.....
Sue1957
Star
Star

Basically the same problem here. 

DavidStracener
Guide
Guide

@Sue1957 wrote:

Thank you for you reply. That’s really disappointing to hear but I think I will take your advice. Is there any other cameras that you would recommend along with the blink xt. Thank you for your help. 

No,  a few no name brands(none I would trust). Blink is the only one that has the same wireless camera setup and gets good reviews. Blink does lack a few of the bells and whistles that Arlo has, but it's solid and the setup seems to be much easier.

Some pros to Blink

They have been around longer than Arlo

Better price

No LAN line needed to base,  just WIFI, so the power cord is it.

Battery life is 3 times better over Arlo

Lowe's has them, so I'll head over this weekend to swap Alro out with Blink.

Lots of Youtube videos on them. Here is one. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcJBSqrSTE