Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
spuwcd
Follower
Follower

Initial set up - Base station not powering on - no green light

56 REPLIES 56
manfredz
Hero
Hero

you'd need to contact technical support using one of the methods by clicking on the Contact Support button on the bottom of each forum page.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You'll need to open a case in the country where you purchaased it.

Kittywu
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm facing exactly the same problem-VMB4000 Arlo Pro Station not powering on, bought from the US and using in Hong Kong.

Have you got a replacement?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

jittywu.  this is a user forum.  you'll need to contact technical support using one of the methods found by clicking on contact support at the bottom of each forum page.  Have you ruled out the power supply., and, I assume, the transformer you used if you don't have 110 volts?

Kittywu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. Yes, I'm also contacting the Arlo technical team by email. We are using 220 voltage here. I could not find information on voltage on the product page/manual.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Then that's where your problem probably is.  Unless you got a base station with a 110-240V power supply, it would have been 110V, It should tell you on the plate thats on the plug what the voltage is.

Kittywu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much. As I did not know the information before I bought and shipped from US, will I be able to get a replacement?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I'm just another user like you.  You'll have to contact technical support (see the link at the bottom of each forum page)

Kittywu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for helpping me. Hope we can get satifying solution.

Joanlay
Aspirant
Aspirant
Has anyone had a solution to this?
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Joanlay wrote:
Has anyone had a solution to this?

Are you having a similar issue? In the above comments, it's likely that a 110V adapter was used in a 230V country and that has fried the power adapter. I think the original Arlo HD power adapter was voltage specific whereas the Pro and Pro 2 base station power adapters are multivoltage 100-240V

Papaloco
Tutor
Tutor

I have 2 base units and this happened on only 1 of the units so I was lucky enough to swap units and cords to eliminate everything accept the broken unit. Arlo replaced the unit and everything works great. With the number of people having this problem it seems like there are a large number of unit that have had this problem.

Joanlay
Aspirant
Aspirant
the base station I bought came with Arlo Pro 2 cameras. It was bought in the US and I’m trying to power it on in the UK. Worked for a few days initially but now wouldn’t power on. Should I be getting a 220V ac adaptor cable to replace what was provided previously which was 110V (specified on the adaptor)?
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Joanlay wrote:
the base station I bought came with Arlo Pro 2 cameras. It was bought in the US and I’m trying to power it on in the UK. Worked for a few days initially but now wouldn’t power on. Should I be getting a 220V ac adaptor cable to replace what was provided previously which was 110V (specified on the adaptor)?

Yes, if you can get a 220V power adapter, especially if one from Netgear, but any that does the correct voltage and current capacity, then you can use that

peterv111
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo pro 2 base station stopped working (I guess power supply issue). Arlo/netgear could not help.A security system should be reliable. if it stops working after 1 day, one could hardly say that it is reliable.  What a disappointment. Returned it to Amazon and will be buying nest.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I've got 3 base stations, the first of which is nearly 3 years old. None of them have had any issues with the power supply adapters. If people are putting 110V rated power adapters into 240V power supplies, I don't think that's a problem with the reliability of the system

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Guess we should never buy cars, TVs, computers, cell phones, etc. WHo knows - one of them may stop working?

kevintravels
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had exactly the same problem. While travelling I noticed my camera was offline.

When I got back I found the base station as dead as a doornail. I happened to have another 12v power adapter laying around that fitting the Arlo, so plugged it in and it came back to life.

Just look on the back of the Arlo power adapter and jump on Amazon or Ebay and buy a generic replacement with the appropriate input/output voltage.

Eyeseeyo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem and contacted Support via Live Chat.

The problem with my base station (after only 3 days use) was that the power adapter was defective/faulty. They suggested I use a different power adapter (i.e. from my modem). The base station turned on after that and they sending me a new power adapter.

Happy they are doing that but it seems like a common problem with the Arlo Pro.

Ktownboss
Aspirant
Aspirant
My base station has suddenly stopped working as well...VMB4000. No lights whatsoever.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Ktownboss wrote:
My base station has suddenly stopped working as well...VMB4000. No lights whatsoever.

Do you think it could be power supply related? Have you got any way to test if it is?

Ktownboss
Aspirant
Aspirant
VMB4000. It’s either the Base Station or the power adapter. Power adapter used is the one that came with the system. System about 4 months old. I have no other adapter readily available to swap out.
Eyeseeyo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'd say it probably is the power adapter.

Really surprised that Netgear allows these cheap adapters to come in their boxes.

kevintravels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Then find a local electrical store or go to Amazon/Ebay. 

I was just lucky I had one laying around, failing that I would have had to use the above option.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that opening a case with support here can get you replacement hardware by using your 1 year warranty.