Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
alisterr
Guide
Guide

In what represents a new low in my far-too-long dealings with the Arlo system, I checked my Arlo app this morning only to be told that a base station firmware update was required.  I really, really didn't want to do that, as I'm not in the same country as the system, so if anything bad happened, it'd be potentially impossible to resolve. 

Anyway, the vastly irritating app refused to carry out basic functionality like viewing live camera feeds, so I bit the bullet and selected 'update' from the Android app.  Some time later, it returned to say that the system needed updating again.  This never changed, so I couldn't really use the cameras from the app.  The base station firmware version hadn't shifted at all - clearly the app-initiated action wasn't getting the job done.

I then tried the web app on my laptop, and got the same "needs updating" message, with accompanying crippling of the user interface for no obvious good reason.  However, this time clicking the update did achieve something - the base station firmware appears to have now updated to a special version that doesn't work at all.  Thanks for that, Netgear.  There is no chance that the power went during the firmware update process - I have other systems in place to monitor stuff like that.

Obviously I'd love to be able to power it off and on again, sacrifice a goat, press 'sync' ten times to the rhythm of the Bee Gees' "Staying Alive" or whatever else nonsense people seem to be told to do when their expensive system goes off in a huff, but I'm not anywhere near it to do so.

On my next flight over, I'm going to be taking an alternative vendor's cameras with me (that don't depend on a base station with short range proprietary wifi and don't have serious self-image issues), bringing this junk back to the UK, then sending it back from whence it came.

Seriously - I've worked in embedded systems myself for quite a long time, and have seldom seen such a cavalier approach to system updates - this is hardly the first instance.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

EDIT: the base station has re-appeared - YAY.  The interfaces show "A firmware update is required for your base station and camera.  Let’s start with the base station." - BOO.

So functionality almost entirely crippled again, but the cameras should still record if a motion event occurs.  Clearly I'd be insane to attempt the update again.  Grrrr.

Current base station firmware version: 1.12.0.0_27099

Evil version that they insist I install: 1.12.0.1_27940

Strangely, I don't see any release notes for 1.12.0.1_27940.

53 REPLIES 53
schmulyank
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue.  It was escalated to second tier and, happily, fixed.  Here's what I had to do.  I have the base and two Arlo Pro cameras in my office.  The firmware update was done 4/22/19 and the cameras disapeared.  We did the entire re-synch protocol. We did the entire router/modem channel change.  The base was visible but not the cameras.  Arlo graciouslyf sent me a replacement camera after I returned one of mine.  It would not synch with the base.  Arlo sent me a new base.  It appeared in the app but neither the replacement camera nor the old camera would synch.  It was escalated to level two.  I was dumbfounded when I was told to take the base and cameras home, connect them to my router there and see if they would synch.  They did!!!  I took the cameras and base back to the office today and reconnected the base to the router in the office and all is well with the cameras and the base.  I was told that it has something to do with a "firewall" type issue in the office.  I have no idea what that means, but it appears that re-synching  cameras and base at another location may do the trick.  And by the way, the firmware upgrade which I originally blamed, produces a great picture and a much more stable connection.  Thanks Arlo, you did come through.

Lukebisby
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having trouble with the forced update and it says my app won’t work after September 30 if I don’t download new app so I did and now it won’t connect to my hub or cameras I’ve tried everything troubleshooting tips provided and factory reset removed and added devices again nothing is working I basically have to buy new cameras and not from arlo I have been happy with them up until now two years they have been fine I didn’t want to change anything so why do they force you to change stuff I bought these coz this is what I wants not something different don’t fix what’s not broken arlo geewiz not happy at all !
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

schmulyank
Aspirant
Aspirant

i had the same symptoms with my Arlo Pro cameras (2) and base at my office after the last major firmware update.  After repeatedly trying the regimen recommended by customer service and replacing the base and one camera under warranty -- without success, the matter was escalated.  I was then told to take the camera and base home and try to pair them there on my home network.  Although I was thoroughly skeptical, I did that and everything paired immediately.  When I took the base and cameras back to the office,  they continued to work perfectly.  I was told something to the effect that the problem was based in the firmware update and the firewall on the system in my office.