Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Station Firmware Updates Forced, Then Base Station No Longer Contactable

Discussion stats
alisterr
Guide
Guide

In what represents a new low in my far-too-long dealings with the Arlo system, I checked my Arlo app this morning only to be told that a base station firmware update was required.  I really, really didn't want to do that, as I'm not in the same country as the system, so if anything bad happened, it'd be potentially impossible to resolve. 

Anyway, the vastly irritating app refused to carry out basic functionality like viewing live camera feeds, so I bit the bullet and selected 'update' from the Android app.  Some time later, it returned to say that the system needed updating again.  This never changed, so I couldn't really use the cameras from the app.  The base station firmware version hadn't shifted at all - clearly the app-initiated action wasn't getting the job done.

I then tried the web app on my laptop, and got the same "needs updating" message, with accompanying crippling of the user interface for no obvious good reason.  However, this time clicking the update did achieve something - the base station firmware appears to have now updated to a special version that doesn't work at all.  Thanks for that, Netgear.  There is no chance that the power went during the firmware update process - I have other systems in place to monitor stuff like that.

Obviously I'd love to be able to power it off and on again, sacrifice a goat, press 'sync' ten times to the rhythm of the Bee Gees' "Staying Alive" or whatever else nonsense people seem to be told to do when their expensive system goes off in a huff, but I'm not anywhere near it to do so.

On my next flight over, I'm going to be taking an alternative vendor's cameras with me (that don't depend on a base station with short range proprietary wifi and don't have serious self-image issues), bringing this junk back to the UK, then sending it back from whence it came.

Seriously - I've worked in embedded systems myself for quite a long time, and have seldom seen such a cavalier approach to system updates - this is hardly the first instance.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

EDIT: the base station has re-appeared - YAY.  The interfaces show "A firmware update is required for your base station and camera.  Let’s start with the base station." - BOO.

So functionality almost entirely crippled again, but the cameras should still record if a motion event occurs.  Clearly I'd be insane to attempt the update again.  Grrrr.

Current base station firmware version: 1.12.0.0_27099

Evil version that they insist I install: 1.12.0.1_27940

Strangely, I don't see any release notes for 1.12.0.1_27940.

53 REPLIES 53
Voruk
Initiate
Initiate
Hello,

my arlo app forced me to make a basestation Firmware Update. Now the basestation is offline. It seems to be in a continuous bootloop. The power led is orange, turns green and then turns off. The camera led turns green for a short period and then power led turns orange.

Any suggestions how I can get this fixed?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a power button reboot first ( off - on )

You may have to do a factory reboot ( hold in reset for 10 secs till leds all flash amber ) and then reclaim the base ( start as if new )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
FerhatC
Guide
Guide

Ihave same issue, bootloop after trying to install new firmware...........

FerhatC
Guide
Guide

I have exacly same issue, my base is in bootloop now........ cant cancel the update

alisterr
Guide
Guide

Good luck - mine's not boot-looping now at least... it's settled into its "A firmware update is required for your base station and camera. Let’s start with the base station." state. 

Hopefully your base station will revert to previous known good firmware like mine seems to have done (for certain values of 'good').

I guess I could use the not-very-published Arlo API, which would presumably permit me to ignore this firmware update request and stream live cameras, etc. Actually, I'm wondering if producing an entirely different client interface might be the way to go - one that just does things properly.  But writing software for a system that I've already spent > £1000 on is a bit hard to swallow...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And did you try the suggestion above your post?

alisterr
Guide
Guide

... and now it appears that everything's fine - the base station reports the firmware version that it wanted to install is now operational.  How could you trust these things?

FerhatC
Guide
Guide
Did u done anything specific ? My camera is OK now but i cant see live.

Because vase station wants that stupid upgrade 1.12.0.1......
alisterr
Guide
Guide
No, nothing at all - it just started working having upgraded itself. Of course, now there's a new problem (recording times are wrong by several hours). And yes, I checked the timezone in the configuration. Ireland in winter is not known for being the land of the midnight sun - it struggles during daytime often.

Good luck, and don't forget to complain to them on twitter.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Reboot your base - that usually fixes timestamp issues.

Roblt
Tutor
Tutor
Omg! I’m having the same issue every morning for the last two days. Is your finally working properly?
PVjohn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  Logged into iOS app to find nothing was functional based on "Base firmware upgrade required", I have attempted this and when it seems to be complete, my cameras are still not functional, and I keep getting the same notification to upgrade firmware starting with the base.  I am curious if anyone with the same issue has been able to resolve and how?  Seems like everyone here is still stuck with the issue.

alisterr
Guide
Guide

I'm guessing the unit might have rebooted itself.  It was exactly -8 off UTC, so presumably its default is pacific time.  My settings in the web interface weren't showing that though - perhaps the base station hadn't applied those settings until a reboot or some other scheduled event that checked it.  You'd think / hope that if it were necessary, it would happen a lot faster than it did (but of course I don't have access to the unit's logs to determine this).  

alisterr
Guide
Guide

Yes, for now everything is working fine again... hopefully yours will sort itself out too.

alisterr
Guide
Guide

I got around the repeated "firmware upgrade required" message by using the web client.  I get the nasty feeling that the additional "are you sure" step that appears from the web client side is necessary, and that the Android / iOS apps just don't present that so it never really does anything.  Can't say for sure though.  I would be careful if you do apply the update though, as my system was then down for some time before it sorted itself out.

Roblt
Tutor
Tutor
I don’t know whats going on. Every morning mines is all messed up and it’s just frustrating. It also tells me that my router isn’t connected to my internet.
Roblt
Tutor
Tutor
Again today! This is annoying. I don’t know what to do.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Likely the best and fastest thing to do is to reset the system. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Hold the base reset button until the LEDs flash amber. Wait for the base to reboot with green power and Internet LEDs. Claim the base normally and sync the cameras, updating firmware as you go if prompted.

Roblt
Tutor
Tutor
Ok I will try that tonight. Thanks!
vint83
Guide
Guide

Ah so frusttrating.

Mine hit it as well.

Was promted with mandatory "Update base station" in iOS app yetserday.

Base station atempted to updated and ended up in a boot loop for several hours.

App showeed "No connection". I gave up.

By the morning base station kinda recovered, some cameras even recorded on motion.

But when I launch iOS app, I see same "A firmware update is required for your base station and camera.
Let’s start with the base station."

Try that and base station boot looping again and there is no ligth at the end of the tunel.

@JamesC Any suggestions?

Thanks.

ToddMcC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Jan 5, 2018 firmware update bricked hub and left my 10 camera system inoperable.

I realized the system was down on Jan 6th  at about 1am and called support only to have the operator have me run around my house looking for a replacement power supply, which I found, which was not broken, and she knew it, because after an hour of looking and finding a replacement, she confessed that she had been getting a lot of these calls after the firmware update on the 5th.

Then when I received the email for the RMA - the link did not work, not on 1, but on 3 different computers and 2 smartphones. So I called again, and the operator told me that he would be able to send me a replacement, but it would take a week to arrive which was not acceptable to me. If I don't need to have security cameras on my house for a week, why do I need to have them at all? I live in a high-crime area and I made a pretty substantial purchase when I bought 10 of these cameras and their system, and to have it break because of their own firmware update and not have them trying to send me a replacement item as soon as possible, really shows that they have no care about their customers Home Security.

When I refused the 5-day delivery, he went and spoke to his supervisor and came back and told me that I would be receiving it one business day, it would go out Monday and I would have it by Tuesday. 

So I asked support that if I were to go out and purchase a replacement hub, how do I know that it's not going to break as soon as it automatically updated firmware when it connects to the internet. He had no answer to that. Because we all know that if any of these big box retailers are holding onto any hub, they have a firmware on them that is older than January 5th. And with no way to be able to shut off automatic updates, how do we know that the next hub we buy is not going to get bricked as soon as it connects and updates.

He apologized for not having an answer about the firmware and told me I would have a replacement on Tuesday. This morning I woke up to a FedEx email stating that they are sending it ground and I will not be getting it until the 11th, just what I told him I would not accept.

I called again today Jan 7th, (now two days into having zero home security) and spoke to another supervisor who told me that the other guy was wrong, and that the overnight was not working for them, but if I wanted to have it shipped overnight then I could pay $29 and he would have sent to me. So to get this straight, he's telling me both, that overnight delivery is not working, but also that it is working, but only if I pay $29.

I've only had this system for 6 months, I pay $99 a year to beable to use the 10 cameras I purchased and this is the kind of service that I'm getting. As of right now I have no home security on my home and I'm looking at boxing all of this stuff up and returning it to all the stores I ever purchased it from for store credit, because right now it's worthless to me.

I really don't like the fact that I am going to have to spend the time reinstalling the system and hooking up all 10 cameras again, which will take me two or three hours because of the engineers not knowing how to roll out a firmware update. aAd where is our guarantee that this is not going to happen again? This is the reason I have automatic updates turned off on all of my computer systems: I cannot afford to be a guinea pig for your inept engineers.

I would like both help on this problem add to be offered an equitable solution to their mistakes.

FerhatC
Guide
Guide

Do anyone have any solution for this problem? its frustating that i cant see live and trust my cameras recording........

meaghanmcb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been having the same bootloop since the November firmware update. 

Sometimes the cameras (in app) say that my base station has a firmware update needed.  Then I tell it to proceed and I either get a brief live feed or 5-10 minutes later "Your base station is offline." 

I have followed all of the trouble-shooting options they list (reset, unplug, etc).  We do not have access to our router, which is a combined router/modem unit owned by our Internet provider (AT&T).  We didn't have issues in the first 6 months of owning the system - only since November.  Outside of calling my Internet Provider (which I am loathe to do lest I talk to some idiot who doesn't understand why I'm trying to accomplish) - are there any other suggested trouble shooting tips?  

PS - does anyone else have a WHITE LAN cord connecting their base to router? In all the images I've seen online, the cord is yellow.  Could I have a defective cord that is only providing intermittent Internet connectivity?  

TIA!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@FerhatC

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link below for you - Arlo Tech Support