Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
alisterr
Guide
Guide

In what represents a new low in my far-too-long dealings with the Arlo system, I checked my Arlo app this morning only to be told that a base station firmware update was required.  I really, really didn't want to do that, as I'm not in the same country as the system, so if anything bad happened, it'd be potentially impossible to resolve. 

Anyway, the vastly irritating app refused to carry out basic functionality like viewing live camera feeds, so I bit the bullet and selected 'update' from the Android app.  Some time later, it returned to say that the system needed updating again.  This never changed, so I couldn't really use the cameras from the app.  The base station firmware version hadn't shifted at all - clearly the app-initiated action wasn't getting the job done.

I then tried the web app on my laptop, and got the same "needs updating" message, with accompanying crippling of the user interface for no obvious good reason.  However, this time clicking the update did achieve something - the base station firmware appears to have now updated to a special version that doesn't work at all.  Thanks for that, Netgear.  There is no chance that the power went during the firmware update process - I have other systems in place to monitor stuff like that.

Obviously I'd love to be able to power it off and on again, sacrifice a goat, press 'sync' ten times to the rhythm of the Bee Gees' "Staying Alive" or whatever else nonsense people seem to be told to do when their expensive system goes off in a huff, but I'm not anywhere near it to do so.

On my next flight over, I'm going to be taking an alternative vendor's cameras with me (that don't depend on a base station with short range proprietary wifi and don't have serious self-image issues), bringing this junk back to the UK, then sending it back from whence it came.

Seriously - I've worked in embedded systems myself for quite a long time, and have seldom seen such a cavalier approach to system updates - this is hardly the first instance.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

EDIT: the base station has re-appeared - YAY.  The interfaces show "A firmware update is required for your base station and camera.  Let’s start with the base station." - BOO.

So functionality almost entirely crippled again, but the cameras should still record if a motion event occurs.  Clearly I'd be insane to attempt the update again.  Grrrr.

Current base station firmware version: 1.12.0.0_27099

Evil version that they insist I install: 1.12.0.1_27940

Strangely, I don't see any release notes for 1.12.0.1_27940.

53 REPLIES 53
j_r_n
Apprentice
Apprentice

So your system resolved itself? Mine is still showing offline. It's crazy that they brought the cameras offline until you click to install the latest firmware, then the firmware brings the system down. Do they honestly expect all users to have convenient access to their systems and reinstall the system? I've had Arlo for over 3 years. I really need an alternative and consider Arlo a sunk cost.

j_r_n
Apprentice
Apprentice

If that is what is necessary to fix (being onsite and resetting to factory settings) that is disappointing to say the least. 

haddis
Initiate
Initiate

I noticed that the motion detection was not working the other day so I went in the App to check what was happening, and was promoted by a message to install new firmware.

I hit install and waited...and waited... Nothing...

Now the base goes inn a constant bootloop. I've tried to restart with the button, power cord and even factory reset... nothing, just endless boot loops.

Any fix incoming?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If you can't otherwise fix it, physical access is needed, just as with fixing a car, TV, etc.

@meaghanmcb wrote:

I have followed all of the trouble-shooting options they list (reset, unplug, etc).  We do not have access to our router, which is a combined router/modem unit owned by our Internet provider (AT&T).  We didn't have issues in the first 6 months of owning the system - only since November.  Outside of calling my Internet Provider (which I am loathe to do lest I talk to some idiot who doesn't understand why I'm trying to accomplish) - are there any other suggested trouble shooting tips?  

PS - does anyone else have a WHITE LAN cord connecting their base to router? In all the images I've seen online, the cord is yellow.  Could I have a defective cord that is only providing intermittent Internet connectivity?  

Not likely it's the cord and typically the color doesn't matter (there are some special cases). You can always try a different cord if you think that's a possibility but first, what color are the base LEDs showing?

vint83
Guide
Guide

I chatted with Arlo support.

It was a fun and completely useless conversation.

Few highlights of how helpful they are:

1. please try to check on the computer Web browser  the upload and the download speed of the Internet. You will check it on speedtest.net. Please check if the upload and the download speed are atleast 1.5 Mbps.

2. how many Wireless devices connected to your router?

It matters as wireless devices may interfere the the internet. You will try to off them or you will change your Wireless channel to either 1,9,11, or on which channel your location is best at.

(even though I told them several times that is not the issue and obviously Arlo basestation is connected via ethernet and my network is fine and nothing to do with why Arlo basestation fails to perform firmware update etc)

3. Your devices only come with one year of Hardware warranty.

(So what I heard is that after 1 year, when warranty expires, Arlo can issue a mandatory firmware update that bricks my system and effectively make my system unusable and force me to upgrade to a newer system)

Reset the base station

1. Get a pin/paperclip.

2. Press and hold the reset button until the lights would go amber.

3. Wait for two green lights. 

Remove the base station under the Arlo account.

1. Go to "Settings"

2. Click "My Devices"

3. Select "base station"

4. Click "Remove Device"

Add the base station 

1. Access your Arlo account.

2. Go to Devices tab.

3. Click Add Device 

4. Select the base station.

So basically Customer Support can't suggest much except "factory reset your basestation and hope it works".

Sad.

alisterr
Guide
Guide

@j_r_n: Yes, mine's genuinely ok now.  Quick question / data point: you say you've been a user for over 3 years... is your base station therefore the original model?  I only ask, as I got mine with an Arlo Pro, and is the second rev (base station HW version: VMB4000r3).

Perhaps there was a bootloader/updater change between the original and newer hardware which made it a bit safer / auto-restart on a watchdog?  Pure speculation without tearing the thing apart or having a chat with someone in support who's technical.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

What trouble shooting steps have you performed so far? Did the support team ask for you to reboot or reset the base station?

FerhatC
Guide
Guide

So hard reset didint solve any **bleep**, it stil bootloop at that stupid version 1.12.0.1

WHY

I dont wanna pay for another base station, this is so bad Netgear.

I have 5 camera and they are useless now, you should stop send updates that bricks your hardware.

FerhatC
Guide
Guide

Hard reset diditn solve my issue, its stil bootlooping at same point.

This is soooo bad netgear sooo bad, i have spent so much many on my cameras and now i need to buy new baste station?

no way i will not keep buying your products if u dont solve this ASAP

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @FerhatC,

What troubleshooting steps did you take to try resolving the bootloop problem except for hard resetting? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Due to the amount of issues described I have opened a case for you. I will contact you via private message with further information.

Brett518
Initiate
Initiate
I’m experiencing the exact same issues as the above user. Could you add me to the work ticket, so that I can be aware of any fixes?
Danamic
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue.  It basically prevented me from viewing my cameras until I update firmware.  After clicking on update firmware, the power, internet, and camera LEDs stay solid green for a few seconds, then the power and internet LEDs start blinking green , while the camera LED stays solid green.  Then after approx. 20-30 seconds, the power and internet LED's blinking frequency start to slow down, then they shut off, while camera LED stays solid green.  This cycle repeats itself over...and over....and over....and over again.  It's an endless loop.  This is totally ridiculous!!! I'm ready to call it quits and trash Arlo.  System worked okay for the past few years until this crap.  Seems like Arlo is forcing us to upgrade our devices.  Good reason now to switch to another brand/company.

D2005
Initiate
Initiate
Same for me, app continues to tell me to update the base hardware and the base will not update. I have unplugged the base and tried to reset the base but it will not update. When I do get a different message it says the system is offline. Cameras do not do me any good when they are not working. This all started with the last update...
Danamic
Tutor
Tutor

Apparently, base station VMB3000 bricks with the latest firmware update.  There's another thread where others with VMB3000 have the same problem.  Rebooting, resetting, blah, blah, blah, does not work.  For me, I've had this system for several years, and only after this latest update my base station keeps rebooting over and over and over......

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This didn't happen to me but it appears that a system reset will clear the issue. Remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Hold the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. STart fresh, claiming the base first and then sync the cameras. Update firmware as you go if prompted.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello everyone,

Which Model version of the Base Station do you have that is experiencing the issue? VMB4000/VMB3000 etc.. Can you please name yours below.

meaghanmcb
Aspirant
Aspirant
@jguerdat
The color is variable. I wait until the power and Internet are green and then try to sync a camera. Inevitably the Internet then goes off completely or turns yellow even as my laptop also plugged in directly to router has no problems. Then the power will go blank as well. Sometimes they’ll both be amber or flash amber or flash green but I can’t get them to STAY green.

I was hesitant to try another cord only because that’s never offered as a troubleshooting option. I will grab a different one anyways, thanks!
Danamic
Tutor
Tutor

If you're referring to HW Version, it's VMB3010r2.  If it's firmware version, it's 1.12.0.0_27099.  Model is VMB3000.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd say it's either a bad power supply or base. I'll wager it's the base itself. If new enough, swap at the store. Otherwise, open a case with support here:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

meaghanmcb
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks @jguerdat, looks like I’ll be chatting with them later. We were gifted the system from my parents about 9 months ago so not only are we past the store return window... I’m not quite sure which store it’s from! LOL. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Boobooventures
Initiate
Initiate

Same problem here, and now nothing works. This happens every update. Very expensive system not to work. Guess it will be hard to get money back. Can anyone recommend what to do with a $1000 piece of junk? I going to have to get something that works. Also got the rechargeable batteries that run the cameras. Lights don’t work now either. Guess we need to add this to the App Store also, keep more people from wasting their money. Mine is from the Apple store, so it’s a netgear problem. I New I stopped buying their routers for a reason.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Boobooventures

Can you provide a little more detail on the issue you are experiencing, as well as any troubleshooting steps you may have performed?

Roblt
Tutor
Tutor
Hi there. I contacted Arlo support and they walked me through it.
schmulyank
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue.  It was escalated to second tier and, happily, fixed.  Here's what I had to do.  I have the base and two Arlo Pro cameras in my office.  The firmware update was done 4/22/19 and the cameras disapeared.  We did the entire re-synch protocol. We did the entire router/modem channel change.  The base was visible but not the cameras.  Arlo graciouslyf sent me a replacement camera after I returned one of mine.  It would not synch with the base.  Arlo sent me a new base.  It appeared in the app but neither the replacement camera nor the old camera would synch.  It was escalated to level two.  I was dumbfounded when I was told to take the base and cameras home, connect them to my router there and see if they would synch.  They did!!!  I took the cameras and base back to the office today and reconnected the base to the router in the office and all is well with the cameras and the base.  I was told that it has something to do with a "firewall" type issue in the office.  I have no idea what that means, but it appears that re-synching  cameras and base at another location may do the trick.  And by the way, the firmware upgrade which I originally blamed, produces a great picture and a much more stable connection.  Thanks Arlo, you did come through.