Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
badhatmedia
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

If anyone has setup the Arlo System on the BT Infinity Homehub router in the UK please let me know how they did it.

I need step by step instructions... ALL Port forwarding, Firewall settings etc etc.

I have tried everything and cannot get the cameras to stream Video. I have tried turning the firewall off completely and still no joy.

What is the trick here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

D

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Does the router show that the base station has an IP address?

badhatmedia
Tutor
Tutor

Yes it assigns an IP address to the Arlo Base Station.

GJH999
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

Has anyone got this working correctly with a BT Infinity Hub 5? Mine works OK when first setup but if I go back to it a few days laters, the hub shows as offline. All 3 expected lights on the front are green and motion sensing is still working however, I can't change any of the rules or modes!

If I reset the hub it all works fine for a short period of time but it's not practical to do this everytime I want to change the rules or mode. Also, it means I cannot stream live video.

Rather annoying tbh....

g

badhatmedia
Tutor
Tutor

Hi G,

Unfortunately nobody seems to know how to get this working properly using the BT Home Hub/Infinity.

I gave up waiting for a constructive reply and purchased the TP-LINK N600 VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router.

This works a treat... just plug it in, add the the required port forwarding and you won't look back. 🙂

Goodluck

Best

D

GJH999
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi mate,

Thanks for the quick reply. Very annoying! I just sold a router when I got the hub....

Grrr!!

g

GJH999
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

Is this the one you went for?

Tp-Link TD-W9980 Wireless Gigabit VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem Router- N600, Dual Band

Just take the Home Hub out of the equation altogether and setup http and https port forwarding (80 and 443) on the N600? Think I may end up doing this, another £60 odd ....tut tut - bound to be an issue with the hub...

Cheers, g

JamesFairhurst
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I've just set mine up without any issues, I would try logging into your router and disable Smart Setup (Advanced Settings -> Home Network -> Smart Setup), it basically hijacks first time connections and forces you through a BT setup for each device. Hope that helps!

nickmobbs
Apprentice
Apprentice

First post... please be gentle!

I have had Arlo working for approx 3 weeks, using the BT HomeHub 5 with infinity fibre connection.

All connected first time without having to make any changes to the HomeHub settings.

I have seen issues with the older HomeHubs not being able to manage similar connections in the past.

Hope this helps somebody!

Cirrus
Tutor
Tutor

I have the BT Home Hub 3 and Arlo does not work at all with this. The Home Hub 3 blocks Arlo from communicating with the Netgear servers. To compound issues, the DMZ and port forwarding functions on the Home Hub 3 don't actually work.

My neighbour has a Home Hub 5, so I borrowed that from her to do some testing. Arlo worked fine with the Home Hub 5. I just plugged it in and voila!

For those having trouble with the Home Hub 5, it might be worth opening ports 443 and 80 to see if that helps.

Despite my success with Home Hub 5, I've purchased a TP-LINK N600 to get away from BT hubs completely.

GJH999
Aspirant
Aspirant

I eventually sort of got round the BT Hub issues by setting up the Arlo with a Netmeeting profile (thinking this can't be too different from what the Arlo is doing). Actually works very well although I cannot connect to the Arlo when I'm logged onto the network! Have to login via the moby or tablet on 4G. Not a big deal as I am normally remote when I want to monitor or change things.

I hope that Netgear put out some hardware to be able to switch on motion detection without actually having to login - maybe a keypad or something which would switch it on with a delayed start. Then you could set it when leaving the house. Maybe even some kind of proximity thing.... 🙂

g

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

GJH999, I was doing some testing with Arlo, and I borrowed my neighbor's Home Hub 5. Hers is a Type A. I don't know if there is a Type B for the Home Hub 5 yet.

Anyway, I got Arlo working with the following configuration with the BT Home Hub 5:

Set a fixed IP address for Arlo in the Home Hub
Disable Smart Setup
Disable extended UPnP security
Add ports 443 and 80 to port forwarding for Arlo.
Restart Router and then restart Arlo (changes won't take effect until you do this).

With that configuration, I was able to access Arlo over the wireless network on both the PC and Android device, as well as externally over the internet.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

CloudHopper,

Thank you for sharing. This information could prove very useful for other Arlo users!

JamesC

SSJJLL
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for these bits of advice. I got my Home Hub 4 working eventually, and after some experimentation I think the key points are:

a) Set a static ip address for the (Arlo Base Station) device. Mine showed up as VMB3010

b) Enable port forwarding for http and https for that device

c) Restart the Home Hub 

d) Restart the Arlo base station

The order of the steps is important.

It would be nice to have some proper technical documentation available.

TaraR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I have just upgraded to BT Infinity with a SMart Hub and now my Base Station and cameras have stopped working too. I have seen all the advice offered, but how do you actually go about doing this step by step please (non tech)

a) Set a static ip address for the (Arlo Base Station) device. Mine showed up as VMB3010

b) Enable port forwarding for http and https for that device

Thanks for any help

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TaraR.

You may need to contact your ISP to ensure the proper ports are open allowing Arlo to connect. For more information, see here: My Arlo base station is offline; how can I troubleshoot it?

JamesC

TaraR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately BT will be an Indian call centre who are scripted and I know will tell me to ask Netgear Arlo.