Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

N300 extender for Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CRomero72
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased the Arlo security kit and have had no major problems except that where one of the cameras is located the WiFi signal is somewhat weak.  I went ahead and purchased a Netgear N300 WiFi range extender in hopes of increasing signal strength to this area of the house.  I than began thinking as to how it works with the base station and the network and was wondering if an extender would actually help.  Has anyone had experience with this or know if the system will even connect properly with the N300 and the original signal coming from the router and base station.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The extender won't help you. The extender will extend your WiFi signal, not your Arlo Base signal. The arlo camera's communiate to your Arlo Base, not using your current WiFi network. Now if you use a extender and plug in your Arlo Base to the extender where it's more centralized to your camera's, that might help with the signal.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The extender won't help you. The extender will extend your WiFi signal, not your Arlo Base signal. The arlo camera's communiate to your Arlo Base, not using your current WiFi network. Now if you use a extender and plug in your Arlo Base to the extender where it's more centralized to your camera's, that might help with the signal.

CRomero72
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.  There is an ethernet plug on the N300 so I will try moving the base station to a more central location and run the Arlo off the extender.  I know I will loose some bandwidth through the extender but I think it should be fine.  We will see.  Thank you for your help.  I appreciate it. 

Chris

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No problem, you will lose some bandwidth if you go wireless bridge mode but depending on your speeds, you might not notice. I use an extender but it's wired in Access Point mode so I don't lose any bandwidth, and then i plug my base station into one of the four ports on the extender. My base station is upstairs in a 3000sqft house, and the camera's downstairs and outside all show full bars, how far away are your camera's form the base unit?

CRomero72
Aspirant
Aspirant

My home is only 2100 sq ft, single story,  the router is in the kitchen which is on the other side of the home from the Camera while is outside. I am guessing the signal is having a hard time getting outside. 

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yeah, seems like it. Let me know how it goes incorporating the extender.