Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
toolpusher
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I think an automated firmware update to the cameras drained my batteries.

One camera was on 75%, the other one had relatively new batteries and bar was at full.

In the morning, the 75% camera was empty and the new one is now 25% (yellow).

Can you please reintroduce the functionality of turning off the automatic update!

Regards

11 REPLIES 11
AlexKrycek1970
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. This has happened to quite a few of us. The only solution is to replace them. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since it hasn't happened to all of us, it's possible that it's not the update that caused the problem but an Arlo server issue.  It seems that low battery notification and the battery display have become problematic again for some reason, perhaps before the update.  If the battery was low but there was no indication, the update may have caused the battery level to drop, causing the issue.  I'm not saying I'm right, just that it may not be as simple as the update.

Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Add me to the list of victims..

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

(Semi-)interestingly, I'm still on the old camera firmware on all 3 cameras.  Maybe it's because I'm using the R7000 router instead of the base.

toolpusher
Aspirant
Aspirant

I assumed it was the update, because the battery which went flat made the update the next morning when I replaced the batteries.

The other camera with 25% life on batteries continously tried to make the update but failed. Also the manual update would not work.

Two days later, those batteries went flat, too.

With the new set of batteries, the update ran smoothly.

Now, both cameras are on latest firmware, but burned two sets of batteries 😞

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

toolpusher,

Cameras with low battery will not allow the firmware update to complete. This may have been why you were having issues with the camera that was 25%.

Now that your cameras have fresh batteries and are on the latest firmware please monitor battery level and let me know if you experience any issues.

JamesC

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

I recently returned a camera that was burning through batteries too within a day or two (case # 26729765).

The reason was that whenever the camera would record or live view in lighting conditions that would require Night Vision to be used, there was an irregular ticking sound coming from that camera, which caused the rapid battery drain.

When inspecting the camera closely, I diagnosed the problem to be the IR-filter being moved back and forth in front of the lens. I was able to see a light reflection in the camera lens turn red and not red in synchrony with the ticking sound. That's how I figured that it must be the IR-filter being moved.

Perhaps your camera has that problem too. So, get close to the camera and listen to it. If your camera is defective in this way, for this to work you must have Night Vision activated on your camera and had it record or live view in lighting conditions that would require the switch to Night Vision mode. That's when you would hear the constant ticking sound of the IR-filter being moved back and forth. Turning off Night Vision mode (and saving the setting) will cause the camera to stop moving the IR-filter. Again, this is what I observed on my defective camera only. It's not a beavior of a healthy camera.

The IR-filter is used for recording under normal lighting conditions. In Night Vision mode the IR-filter cuts away from in front of the lens.

khines2751
Guide
Guide

That is about the Time that I stated having issues also and now batteries only last about a week. If this keeps up the system might as well go into the trash this was a good idea but it has major flaws

khines2751
Guide
Guide

Think I need to rreturn the whole system!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

khines2751,

Cameras dropping offline and rapid battery drain are commonly a symptom of poor signal strength between the base and the cameras. This could be due to range or wireless interference.

Are there nearby wireless devices that could be interfering? Consider relocating your base station. Try to limit nearby proximity of other wireless devices that could potentially be causing interference.

JamesC

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK- Mr Netgear tech- Blame on user error never a problem with the junk cameras. GIVE ME A BREAK !!!!!!!!!!!!