Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Wireless installation ?'s

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Boyblue
Tutor
Tutor

Greetings and salutations all,

I am new here so please bare with me. I just purchased a 4 camera Arlo wireless and installed it a day and a half ago. 

I would like to say its up and running but its not, it works for a few hours then intermittently. 

So far I installed 1 camera, motion detection, record video, 15 seconds. I noticed after installation it worked for perhaps 5 hours then there was a firmware update for the camera. Installed then no longer detects motion. Pulled cover off camera and restart base station and it worked again - for awhile then no detection again. Changed camera, it worked for a few hours and then no detection again, nothing in the library.

This A.M. removed cameras from base station, factory reset base station and used new account and setup again. Its working now but its only been about an hour or so. When it works its great but I need it work constantly. I read through quite a few threads but would like to get this up and going.

I am not clear on a few matters so ask here.

According to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-optimize-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-camera-s-mo...

the base station should not be too close to other routers (but no recomendations). I have 2 routers, one 1 foot away from the base station.

1) What is the minimum distance recommended between the base station and a router?

Thanks

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
boyblue2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings and Salutations all,

I wrote a longish response which for some reason would not post, the message kept bouncing and since I was at work I quickly forgot about it.

I am happy to report that since the last base station reboot at ~ 0800 Hrs yesterday, Arlo has been keeping eyes open like a champ! No issues since, I am getting email alerts and the cameras seem quite responsive.

I have no idea what happened, whether it was a glitch or the base station suddenly began working properly. I would like to believe an update or patch of some kind was pushed out to the unit. I noticed the front door camera (My front door camera gets the use) seems quicker to respond (all cameras have motion turned on), previously on several occasions there was no one in the recorded video when played versus now there is always someone in the recording, within a couple seconds.

I also noticed my W/L signal has gone from 2 bars to the full 3 bars as well as I am getting email alerts in very quickly, possibly in less than 20 seconds this afternoon.

In any case, Arlo seems to be now working as advertised and its good.

Thanks

Andrew

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hi Andrew....

I Run my base about 6ft or so from my primary wifi router....just went the cable length to the other side of desk on a shelf.

The base will be on the same channel of router when within about 20ft of a router,as to min distance I'd go at least two feet (being close and on same channel,Netgear states it will operate better)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Boyblue
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks TomMac,

I ended it up mounting it on a bracket on the wall about 5 feet away from my closest router. Just finished extending the power cable. 

Arlo was working fine until 1316 Hrs, that was the last recording in my library. After that time no recordings despite my 

going 2 feet in front of the camera. 

I have the single camera pointed at my front door, I had it 18 feet away. I did a test indoors and noticed it would only pickup movement up to 12 feet away so moved the camera, its now its 8 feet away from the front door and the Arlo still behaves the same way.

I don't understand why it works fine for an hour or two then nothing. 

I just reset the base station again.

I can manually view the camera without issue, it seems the motion detection just stops working after a couple hours, and with two different cameras.

Wish I had a spare base station to verify. Unfortunately I do not live in the U.S.A. 

I saw it in Best Buy last week and picked it up since I was looking for something wireless for outdoors to compliment my Piper used indoors.

Still working the problem 🙂

Andrew

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As you found out, the max distance for people and the PIR is at +/- 20 ft. .... and works a bit better <15ft.

The fact that both cameras do the same thing is strange.  When they stop detecting, check out the status of the "running man" above each camera.

Black means motion sense is ON, Gray is OFF, Amber means recording from trigger event

Make sure for some reason the base isn't turning off the detection mode

After this, contact Netgear and put in a trouble ticket so you can get one on one assistance.

Morse is faster than texting!
boyblue2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Greetings and Salutations all,

I wrote a longish response which for some reason would not post, the message kept bouncing and since I was at work I quickly forgot about it.

I am happy to report that since the last base station reboot at ~ 0800 Hrs yesterday, Arlo has been keeping eyes open like a champ! No issues since, I am getting email alerts and the cameras seem quite responsive.

I have no idea what happened, whether it was a glitch or the base station suddenly began working properly. I would like to believe an update or patch of some kind was pushed out to the unit. I noticed the front door camera (My front door camera gets the use) seems quicker to respond (all cameras have motion turned on), previously on several occasions there was no one in the recorded video when played versus now there is always someone in the recording, within a couple seconds.

I also noticed my W/L signal has gone from 2 bars to the full 3 bars as well as I am getting email alerts in very quickly, possibly in less than 20 seconds this afternoon.

In any case, Arlo seems to be now working as advertised and its good.

Thanks

Andrew