Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo wireless switches off

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
donp36
Tutor
Tutor
Solar lights operate on and off 24/7 as required the fact battery recharges is irrelevant.  It is the system that is important - minimal current drain on battery until motion activates system, 30 seconds switches back to motion detect.

Arlo needs to stay in standby mode (minimal battery demand) until it activates on motion detect - record for 10 - 20 seconds then return to standby.  This should not pose a problem for lithium batteries.  I don't mind changing on a weekly basis.

No where is it made clear that you need to restart the system every 30 minutes - this is misleading marketing.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

manfredz wrote:

Also don't see how in scheduling you find a way to run cam 24/7.

I think they mean ARMED for 24/7 ...which is do-able in schedule  ( wasn't clear in the OP )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sorry, but I really don't understand the problem your putting forth.

This are "motion-detect, then record" type of system....  Not a 27/7 record type

The 30 min max time of view IS to preserve the batteries in case forgotten on... Since the max capacity of the batteries/pack is about 3000ma AND the camera can draw 150 to 250ma per hour in live view/record, you can easily see the batteries would be depleted in 20 hrs or  much less.

Arlo needs to stay in standby mode (minimal battery demand) until it activates on motion detect - record for 10 - 20 seconds then return to standby.  This should not pose a problem for lithium batteries

As to minimal current draw on the Cameras, they do exactly that as decribed above.  In Armed mode ( detection on ), the cameras are drawing a small amount of the actual run current to use the least amount of power.... Then when motion is detected they record for the set time, then shut down to motion detect again......  that results in the batteries lasting a long time.  I get an average usage of almost 4 months out of OEM cells.

donp36
Tutor
Tutor

I suggest you include instructions how to  operate Arlo in this manner.  I have now worked out how 24/7 operation can be done can be done - I hope.

It appears the failing is in the manual, nothing in the box to tell you, download manual tells you little.  It appears scheduling is where it can be worked out from.

If you  thought a little more you would know what I was talking about - see many other queries re 30 minute shutdown.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And see the many responses as to WHY there's a 30 minute timeout.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Very few, if any, battery operated items, are meant to be run 24/7.

I don't see the shortcoming is in the manual or box, but in the research done before buying.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

manfredz wrote:

I think they mean ARMED for 24/7 ...which is do-able in schedule  ( wasn't clear in the OP )