Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Won't Record Person only vehicles

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Leapfrog
Tutor
Tutor

I have my Arlo set up and it will turn on when a car goes through the field of view but when I walk out in that exact spot, back and forth, to and fro, it will not record that at all. I've changed sensitivity, moved the camera, but it still isn't working.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You may be trying to cover to large an area... the IR detection is good to a max of 20 ft for people... cars are seen at a larger distantamce due to the fact they are large reflector of IR ( which the trigger works on )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Leapfrog
Tutor
Tutor

That makes sense. How do I change that?

Thanks for your help!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Leapfrog wrote:

That makes sense. How do I change that?

Thanks for your help!

Position setup is really trial and error...  The best detection is across the field of view ( as opposed to straight on ) . also angle down a bit to avoid street view where cars are traveling on a reg basis... Concentrate on areas where you want to see and not worry about others like yard ( which usu isn't important )...Where would you break into your house and or hide at night for same ...think like a bad guy.

Leapfrog
Tutor
Tutor

I have it looking straight out onto a parking lot. Right now it's not mounted, just setting on a ledge for practice. I'll see if changing that angle helps. I need it to see out a ways...and up close too.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Leapfrog wrote:

I have it looking straight out onto a parking lot. Right now it's not mounted, just setting on a ledge for practice. I'll see if changing that angle helps. I need it to see out a ways...and up close too.

I understand you want to see all the area, Near and Far...  but I'll be honest with you, it's prob not going to work for you this way.

The Arlo/Arlo Pro work on a PIR devcie to detect motion ( the Pro has an improved dual PIR device which works better than the Arlo btw )... PIR devices work on the sense of IR to trigger. For people thats about 20ft as mentioned

As previous mentioned, in order for the Arlo cameras to work well ( without false triggers ) they must cover a smaller area than most consider doing.

What may work for you better is a Q camera ... the Q cam allows detection by pixel change ( detects changes in the actual picture ). This make it better to cover larger area and still detect motion well... detects people much further out and has a higher rez of 1080.

Here's an example... Q cam behind 2 pane glass window, street about 75 ft away and I capture vehicles ( video starts before truck appears due to pre-buffer recording ) on roadway and people farther than half way in to house ( Q cam is indoor rated only )

CaptureQ.JPG