Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
jmartinus1507
Follower
Follower

Does any one know if it's possible to add an external antenna to the base station to improve the signal to cameras with a poor signal.  Part of the problem is that the base station is at the far end of the house and already connected to my internet via a wifi signal.

thanks 

John 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@jmartinus1507 wrote:

Does any one know if it's possible to add an external antenna to the base station to improve the signal to cameras with a poor signal.  Part of the problem is that the base station is at the far end of the house and already connected to my internet via a wifi signal.

thanks 

John 

MOVED TO TROUBLESHOOTING ARLO SECTION

It is possible if you have a bit of electronic knowledge...

That said, I tried a few and it wasn't worth the time ( tho I had fun trying )

In the end it was easier to do the following;

1) run ethernet to a central locaton for the base ( 100m +/- max distance )

2) use a wifi extender with an ethernet port to locate base central ( need 1mb+ thu put which is easy )

3 ) with #2 add a second or third base to maximize the connection to the cameras  ( there is no limit as to # of bases or where placed as long as you have internet access )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@jmartinus1507 wrote:

thanks 

John 

MOVED TO TROUBLESHOOTING ARLO SECTION

It is possible if you have a bit of electronic knowledge...

That said, I tried a few and it wasn't worth the time ( tho I had fun trying )

In the end it was easier to do the following;

1) run ethernet to a central locaton for the base ( 100m +/- max distance )

2) use a wifi extender with an ethernet port to locate base central ( need 1mb+ thu put which is easy )

3 ) with #2 add a second or third base to maximize the connection to the cameras  ( there is no limit as to # of bases or where placed as long as you have internet access )

Morse is faster than texting!
slickman
Star
Star

The range on these base stations are horrable, that need an improvment or a mod kit to add an external antenna.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Horrible range implies an issue with your environment and/or system location. Typical camera to base distances should be in the 30 to 100 foot range.