Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Seriously
Guide
Guide

I spoke with a Netgear/Arlo representative in July 2016 and specifically asked if there would be any new versions in production/coming to market with such features as Voice/recharable battery functionality as I had read many user reviews that stated those were pretty much to 2 features lacking/unavailable.

I was told affirmatively NO....So, I went and purchased a system through Best Buy.

NOW..I find out the Arlo Pro is being released within a few weeks and am stuck with a unit that will eat batteries-depending on usage-vs being able to re-charge as well as having audio both ways.

Any recourse/rebates since it is not returnable at this point to Best Buy and other than signing up for an account have not set the units up outside/used them and was debating at this point because of upcoming Winter in WI.

31 REPLIES 31
Steviemontana
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes it is draining the batteries. I have 3 cameras all with rechargeable batteries with only one camera being magnetized having the battery drain at a faster rate than the other two cameras. And don't call me Stevie.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

What do you mean one camera is magnetised? All of the cameras are magnetised to allow them to be mounted to the ball / half ball mounts

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Magnets have no effect on batteries any more than magnets around your fuel line on your car increase gas mileage. 

georgebalanchin
Tutor
Tutor

In my opinion, while comparing Arlo camera and Arlo Pro, there's not a big difference and there's aren't many reasons for current Arlo owners to upgrade. Arlo camera provides like 80% of the Arlo Pro.

Herkdrvr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can anyone share their experience with rechargeable batteries, specifically how long they last vs. activations? We have five cameras and leave our summer home for another during the winter. We can't just pop in and change batteries when they die. Last year I bought Panasonic batteries, used the optimum setting for battery, and only activated the cameras a few times a week. We also do t use the IR lights or motion detection. Batteries on all cameras lasted about ten months. I noticed when they went, it was pretty fast - from "half full" to near dead in one day. I wish the battery voltage measurement was more accurate. 

I also saw a battery eliminatore for Arlo, but can't figure out how you shut the battery compartment with wires sticking out. 

Thanls in advance!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

you won't find rechargeable batteries lasting as long as regular batteries, maybe 70-80% as long, so it you're getting 10 months out of regulars, it probably isn't worth switching.

If you find you're picking up more action, resulting in more recordings and shorter battery life, you might want to revisit for times you're available to swap out batteries.

Jiffer
Tutor
Tutor

ig name brand The problem you face is not rechargeable batteries or non-rechargeable. Its the cold that is causing the drain fast issue. Are the cameras inside or outside the home?

I live in MN we have our cameras outside our home year round in the winter some days the batteires are 0% dead because they are frozen, then when it warms up the batteries are back to 90% and working fine. in the summer months, we don't have any issues. I've been buying batteries online called "Ravpower"non-rechargeable because they last very long and are cheaper than most. Our big name brand Energiser Dur died in a few months of use.