Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 19 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
PattyInTheSun
Star
Star

Good Morning!

I have some wonderful neighbors and some pretty unsavory ones.

Local LEOs have seen videos of harassment, trespassing and vandalism and won't enforce laws  so I need to provide new ones to an attorney. 

However, now neighbor is blocking recording and fuzzying image during destruction.

I put out better illumination and switched off night vision but am now getting next to nothing from motion sensors, even when I test for motion at fairly close range.

Can I block the blocking?

A little help, please and thanks : )

Patty O in Lake Wales, Florida

13 REPLIES 13
brh
Master
Master

@PattyInTheSun

Please explain how the neighbor is blocking your pictures.

Brian

PattyInTheSun
Star
Star

My guess is he blocks them by aiming LED at camera.

I can have video of good quality with exception of fuzzy area which later turns out to have been vandalized. (i.e. destroying plants, dumping pesticide, etc.)

brh
Master
Master

@PattyInTheSun

So you think this blocking is intentional? Does this blocking occur all night long? If so, in the daytime do you see the device he is using? Is the fuzzy spot look like a light is shining on that part of the image?

Brian

PattyInTheSun
Star
Star

Yes, it is definitely intentional.

97% of video is clear. One spot will be fuzzy with obvious activity but unrecognizable face & figure with result of damage after the fact to whatever object he vandalized.

These are multiple occurrences on a daily (nightly) basis.

He also blocks whole system from recording for blocks of time and/or keeps cameras "busy" thereby draining battery while recording nothing.

This guy is getting help from someone - I believe he's hired professionals. I don't have the resources for that.

Arlo will appear to be recording, but when I try to end recording I will get various error messages as to no such recording exists, streaming service temporarily unavailable, etc. These are happening when and while vandalism occurs, not just Arlo glitches.

He has made threats and made good on these threats. As I said, LEOs will not help, so it is paramount this situation is corrected.

Thanks for trying to help figure this out.

I would also like to geofence but on my laptop (need big screen, not itty bitty phone) and am unable to find instructions or if it is even possible.

Patty O in Lake Wales

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If blocking of your cameras is intentional... then you have to change the way you use the cameras.

You can put out cameras in the watching area but not use them ...ie ; dummy camera.( even without batteries)

While the person is fixating on the dummy camera, use another to capture the video.

usually, this will require a person to sit by and manually operate/observe the area.

Or another method we use to use is bait ...  On your property use something to attract the subject that he has damaged before...usu they will find it attractive to re-damage ( so pick something not overly important )

Use a second camera ( covert camera ) to cover the object and also use a possible dummy cam.

You may have better luck capturing video if the subject is looking/blocking at the wrong camera.

It is going to require some watching tho either way.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
PattyInTheSun
Star
Star

Thanks,

I've been trying to do what you recommend, but he is fixated on me, and I have been unable to "hide" anything as he surveils me 24/7.

I tried to get a restraining order, but those are based on LEO reports. Last LEO was so annoyed, all he did was escalate situation and complain about paperwork. "Against my better judgement, I guess I'll file a report." Seriously, that's what he said. And that a stake light that I had in the ground horizontally, on the boundary line, was "stalking."

This week I get an 8 foot fence. Hope it makes some difference : )

Thanks again,

Patty O in Lake Wales

brh
Master
Master

@PattyInTheSun

You want to be very careful, as he might follow through with his threats and do some serious damage to you or your property. Trying to isolate yourself away from him as much as possible is probably the best course of action short of moving. The fence is a start. The more isolated you are from him the sooner he will take his focus off of you and put it on someone else. Open feuds rarely have happy endings.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@PattyInTheSun

My guess is that he has hacked into your router and was able to find your Arlo account information and mess with your recordings. If that is the case, no telling what he has access to. I would strongly suggest changing your passwords to very long and very strong ones and see if the problem still exists. If so, then he is probably finding a different way of interfering with your recordings.

Brian

PattyInTheSun
Star
Star

Yep, changed passwords a while back - Thanks for suggestion.

I think he "accessed" our house while we were gone for Irma.

Does anyone know if you can setup a separate Arlo network with a Wifi Booster/Repeater/Enhancer?

We also have a solid minimum 20 second delay due to pathetic internet performance (comcast). Download speed not too bad, but upload the absolute worst and is clearly reflected by Arlo recordings. We see the tail end of many things, and people like my neighbor know this and exploit it. We're in central Florida and have limited internet options.

I would really like to Geofence the property. 

Does anyone think this will help?

Can it be done on a laptop?

Can it be done on any equipment that stays on the property?

I know my soon to be eight foot fence will help, but with hateful people like this, I doubt he'll stop.

Thanks again for input.

All advice is appreciated.

Patty O in Lake Wales

PattyInTheSun
Star
Star

He has followed through with his threats.

I've had Sheriff's Deputies here on numerous occasions.

Neighbor is clearly intoxicated and drops f bomb repeatedly.

I am calm and respectful and sober. Does no good, makes no difference.

They make excuses for him and another neighbor.

I say I want to press charges and Deputies say for what?

I say harassment, trespassing, vandalism, threats.

Deputies say things like "This is why he made that threat", etc instead of actually arresting them for making threats ...

LEOs here are worthless. The good police are in the city proper and we fall outside their jurisdiction.

I need a really good attorney.

I can't afford a really good attorney.

I have motion sensor/beepers around property.

They all are on same channel.

The only way to trip mine is to trespass.

Neighbor bought same brand of sensor and sets it off all day so the sound is coming from my beepers.

This one guy is just pure hate with way too much time on his hands. And a lot of beer. Like a beer every 20 minutes starting at 8 a.m.

I would sell but I moved here to take care of my elderly parents and they don't want to move.

I'd post a video of him here but don't want to be sued.

Ugh.

brh
Master
Master

@PattyInTheSun

Patty, I am going to offer a lot of advice here so hang on.

Firstly, you have to find a way to de-escalate this feud before you get yourself killed or you home burned while you are away or worse while you are home. If he thinks you are spying on him the situation can only go downhill. Ignore him as much as possible until he turns his attention off of you. Risking your life is not worth it over some property damage.

The first thing you need to do is to purchase a professional security system that works on cellular. I chose Frontpoint due to their reputation, high business ratings and reviews and because the system is easy to install and a customer representative will assist you on setting the system up. Your neighbor will not know that you are installing an alarm system. I think the monthly fee is about $35/month with probably half of that being the cost of cellelar. My wife almost walked in on our home being burglarized, (I think their lookout spotted her coming down the driveway and made a fast exit. Imagine what might have happened if she had walked in on them. $35/month is a very inexpensive way of protecting your property and possibly your life or other family members.

Secondly, remove all valuables including important documents and place them in your bank's safety deposit boxes. Shred all mail, bills that have been paid etc. that has your name on it.

Thirdly, if possible, upgrade your internet service. Comcast may be the only provider in your area, and if so you are stuck and that may be why you are getting these messages. There is a minimum requirement for the Arlo cameras to work properly. I am using Time Warner Cable and while it is a little expensive, it is very fast.

All cameras use wifi so if he cuts your wifi, your cameras will no longer take pictures until the wifi is restored. So the object is to try to get good photos as soon as someone enters your property. Possibly, if you want to purchase a couple of more cameras and put them inside pointing out a window, The Arlo Q or Q Plus would be a good solution. He might not see them for awhile, and when he does, if he is shining an LED at the cameras, he won't be able to disable all of them.

Change passwords often make them long with a combination of letters and numbers.

In summary, Your slow internet might be causing much of the problems with the recordings, but he is probably finding a way to make the fuzzy areas happen.

Brian

jeanemelton
Initiate
Initiate

Having troulbe with vandalizing neigbor who is apparently tech savvy...interferes with video feed, rendering my arlo cameras worthless.

TheWatcher24
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm currently in a similar situation, and have consulted an attorney. In the meantime , I went to costco and picked up a 4 camera wired system. that can record 24/7 , and is far more reliable than arlo , since their firmware disaster last month. The problem with that system is you have to run wires and install cameras. But they cover a far larger area and the motion detection is way better , and u dont need wifi , except to view remotely on your phone
If you could discreetly hook up one of these cameras & monitor an area he concentrates on vandalizing without him knowing about the new camera , it might get the proof u need to file charges that stick. Good luck, keep a written record of your ordeal for later use. eventually he will leave, die , or go to jail.