Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Geofencing does not work

Discussion stats
heisian
Guide
Guide

I have geo-fencing enabled such that when I am within the radius, the system should be disarmed. When I get home, the app notifies me that I have entered the geo-fencing area, yet the cameras will still notify me that they detect motion. Broken.

103 REPLIES 103
Jamokebob
Guide
Guide
It work great for me for about 6 months up until this last app update. I tried all the uninstall, reinstall, delete configuration etc with no help. Anyone know how to go back to an earlier version of the app?
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

You will need to either have  backup copy of the app that is signed for your userid. You can't download an app copy directly from any site that I am aware of.

NelsonTeleco
Tutor
Tutor
Geofencing randomly started working again for me last night / this morning. I’ve made no changes to my iPhone X or the Arlo app. I hope it continues to work....
RodMJ
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue, Geofence had been working perfectly with an iPhone 6 and a iPhone 5, now it is useless. Sometimes it recognizes the main phone, the 6, but not always.
And yes the phones have names with no punctuation in them.

Please fix whatevet was broken.

johnbois
Aspirant
Aspirant

As of yesterday geofencing started to work with no changes or modifications.  Both iPhone 6s using latest version of iOS are showing the correct location status changing status when both phones have left the area.  Noticed there was an Arlo app available this morning v2.4.8 but fix apprears to be working regardless of new app version installed. 

My two cents... on the phone name.  I've got underscores in both phone names and has been like that since i've brought my arlo's online.  I wouldn't worry about changing the phone names.

NelsonTeleco
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo geofencing ha been working reliably for 2 days now. I made no changes to my iPhone X, no app updates... my phone name includes special characters. According to the Arlo app I’m running version 2.4.7 which was released on March 4th (the same time geofencing stopped working.) Not sure what changed 2 days ago, would be nice if Netgear would acknowledge what they did to fix.... maybe they opened a ticket with Apple who fixed the way the location services communicate with the Arlo app...? Would be nice to know. 

Jamokebob
Guide
Guide
In addition to an Arlo update, iOS released 11.3. I haven’t installed either yet. But now it started working normally again yesterday. This is so confusing.
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine  started working immediately after I reset the locations on my two phones and then reinstalled the apps and reset up the sharing. It has worked ever since. No idea if it was related to anything they did as they never seem to give you any feedback on what the problem was or if they even did anything.

Xraykid
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine starting working again two days ago, out of the blue.

RolfC
Aspirant
Aspirant
Works here in Sweden as well. Since two-three days or so.
philthompson69
Initiate
Initiate

Mine and my Mrs geofencing started to work again after a week not working at all, they updated the iPhone app yesterday seems to have fixed it fingers crossed 

AntonioG
Guide
Guide

Any updates on the problem with arlo not updating geofencing HOME/AWAY modes?

Jamokebob
Guide
Guide
It’s fixed for me. But I do not know how. I did not upgrade iOS or the app and it’s been flawless since the end of last week.
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

The fix didn't have anything to do with the update. There have been several folks that did nothing. I was able to get mine working before the update came out by just reseting location services on both devices and performing the equivelant of a new install on my two phones. It most likely was something they did on the cloud interface, but doesn't look like they will provide any information,

Jamokebob
Guide
Guide
Stopped working again this morning
CBSoccer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I removed special characters from my iPhone name (' and spaces) and geofencing starting working again.

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine has been working fine with the exception of about a 2 hour windows back on 4/3. Must have just been a short blip because it straightened out without me doing anything.

jjdjyu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing does not work for me either.  I have Android 7.1.2.

AzMurse
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not working for me either.  Pixel 2 XL here.  Latest updates installed.  When is this going to be fixed?

speedf1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Geofencing still not working for me.

Have two phones connected:

Oneplus 3T - Android 8

Samsung S7 Edge - Android 7.1

Geofencing has always been a bit flakey, but nothing that an uninstall and re-install of the app seemed to fix.

Now nothing - done all the normal things, uninstall & reinstall, made sure that the Arlo app are not set to go to sleep.  However the Oneplus 3T left the geofence area over 3 hours ago but still showing in as "In-zone" in Arlo.

Really don't understand why it's so difficult for the Arlo devs to get this working!  All my other apps that use geofencing work 100% reliably.  For a product that is sold as a security camera system, it doesn't give much confidence.

HenryWuSC
Aspirant
Aspirant
Android sometimes puts Apps into sleep mode, and as a result, the Arlo app doesn't know your location until you open the Arlo app (which defeats the purpose of Geofencing).
Phones like Samsung has ways to select applications that can be blacklisted from Android power management. My Geofencing started to work reliably after that. I haven't noticed power drain from the Arlo app at the moment.
rbach2
Aspirant
Aspirant
Update: Moved from an iPhone 6 to an 8 and geofencing has been working seamlessly since with two phones in the household.
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the iPhone X and mine has worked pretty much trouble-free since they corrected the original problem with the exception of one time when I had to restart the app. 

phatjap1
Guide
Guide
Hi. I have had Arlo 1 with 2 cameras for around 2 years, geofencing has been iffy, at best for most of that time. Occasionally it works great, most of the time not. Ive noticed that when i log into the app on my android phone, the geofencing updates there and then to armed or unarmed status. I really feel that i shouldn't have to do this after all this time, it seems most of the time the system is unarmed, or home mode. I am thinking about Blink system quite seriously now they have outside cameras. Does anyone have any ideas why it only changes mode when i log in to the app?
Kind regards
Neil.