Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

There seems to be a problem with the latest version of the Android Arlo app (v. 2.3.2)

I use the Arlo app on three different devices, two on Android (different phone brands) and one on Apple. When using Android app (v. 2.3.1) I had no issues. Everything worked perfect.

Yesterday I updated both Android apps to the latest version.
Now I have the following, very annoying problem, on both my Android phones, for info; the Apple App still works perfect.

When I open the Arlo app on one of my Android phones the app keeps saying “GETTING STATUS” and after a while “SYSTEM IS OFFLINE”. Well if I then open the Apple App, I see the status of the camera’s and base station so the system is not offline.
Occasionally when I open the Android app on one of my phones it immediately displays the status of the camera’s and the app operates like before. But most of the times the Android app keeps saying “GETTING STATUS”
Strangely, when I logout from the Android Arlo app, then restart the Android Arlo app and login again, the app immediately shows the status and operates like it should be.

Are more users facing this same problem?
I really think it is something with the latest Android app, because the Apple app has no issues and the old Android app (v 2.3.1) had no issues as well.
For info: The base station and cameras are online

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is a new Android app update available (2.4.0) for download through the Play Store. Please download the latest update and let me know if you still experience this issue.

JamesC

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

FOR INFO:

I just removed the Arlo App from my device and installed the previous Android Arlo app (v. 2.3.1)

Now the app operates as it should be and as it used to.

So I really think there's a nasty "login" bug in the latest Android Arlo app (v. 2.3.2)

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First , you say android but no mention of device or OS used...

Second... but also wondering if you accessing by wifi or Cell data?

As to the two versions, I'm running an S7 with OS android 6.01 on wifi;

I loaded the older version v 2.3.1 three times and timed it...I then upgraded to v 2.3.2 and did the same.

Average load times between the two was the basicly thesame and really saw no difference between versions.

This is not to say you don't have an issue, I just I don't see it here.

BTW, I don't sign out ( that may make a diiference if you really log out ) but just hit the HOME button and it sends the app to the background

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

EXTRA INFO REGARDING THE PROBLEM DESCRIBED ABOVE

I have two Android devices:

Blackberry Priv – running Android 6.0.1 (Build number AAJ919 / March 5th 2017)

Sony Xperia Z5 – running Android 7.0

The problem I am facing occurs both on WiFi & Cell data.

The Apple app (iPad OS 10.2.1) still works without any problem.

The Android app (v. 2.3.2) has this problem, when I reinstall the Android app (v. 3.2.1) it works without any problem.

To TomMac:

I have one account, using it on both Android devices and on an Apple iPad.

So when starting the app on one device it automatically signs out on the other.

Just wondering, what happens when you sign out and close the app (app v. 2.3.2)

Then start the app and sign in again (On both my Android devices the app now operates normal!)

However, if I close the app (don’t sign out) and restart the app the app shows “GETTING STATUS”

Just repeat these steps without signing out, just close the app and restart it. Does the same happens as I described above in the first post?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TKNT81 wrote:Just wondering, what happens when you sign out and close the app (app v. 2.3.2)

Then start the app and sign in again (On both my Android devices the app now operates normal!)

However, if I close the app (don’t sign out) and restart the app the app shows “GETTING STATUS”

Just repeat these steps without signing out, just close the app and restart it. Does the same happens as I described above in the first post?

Just checked...

When I sign out completely next time I hit the icon I must add my password and it then goes to LIVE view screen

I see the 'getting status' for about 1+ sec and then the LIVE button pops up on each of the cameras.

It takes 2-4 secs for the total misc info to appear such as battery info , etc.

I close out by just hit the HOME button that takes me back to the main phone screen... Arlo is sitting in back ground but idle.

On second login ( not having logged out completely),  I  hit the icon , only I do not have to enter password....all the remainder is the same as above,

"getting staus" appears a very short time then the LIVE button for each camera and within 2-4secs  it fills in all the misc data

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No problem here with 2 devices on 7.1.1.
comlab
Guide
Guide

I have exactly the same issue like TKNT81. 

We have 2 Android 6.0.1 mobile phones and seeint the exact same "getting status" and "offline" issue with the Android App 2.3.2_16308.

From time to time when we want to switch the mode or we seeing for a long time the getting status and then the offline message. I doesn't matter if we are on WIFI or 3G/LTE data. The Arlo system is not offline and working perfectly fine from a browser, but not from the android app. What I can confirm too, if you have the getting status bug, you can log off out of the app and logon again, after that it works quick and fine. After a while we see the same problem again. We see that version since the last update, no issue before. 

Our phone, OnePlusOne and OnePlus 2.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have not been able to replicate this issue as described on an Android device with the latest app update. Are you still seeing this behavior?

JamesC

TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi JamesC,

Yes, unfortunately nothing has changed, the app behavior is still the same.
On one of my Android devices I reinstalled the previous version of the app (2.3.1), this version has no issues for me. On the other device (with app version 2.3.2) the problem is still the same.
TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is strange that user Comlab and myself have this problem, but not every user on Android. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

do you two have the same model, or close to same, model phone?

comlab
Guide
Guide

over here I see the probelm on 2 Android 6.0.1 phones with version. 2.3.2_16308 of the app.

Once we downgrade to version 2.3.1_16068 the issue is fixed for me.
It's allways working fine with a Internt Browser such as Chrome.

Here some details about the my hardware:

Phone: OnePlusOne, Android 6.0.1, OS: Cyanogen 13.1.2

Phone: OnePlus2, Android 6.0.1, OS: OxygenOS 3.5.6.

HW Version: VMB3010r2

Firmware: 1.8.1.1_10234

For the moment we stay on 2.3.1 and can work with the situation, but it's very strange at all.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I wonder if its an issue with either the phones and/or the OS. I'm using both stock 7.1.1 as well as a LineageOS 7.1.1 on a Nexus 6 and a Nexus 10, respectively. I also have LineageOS 13 on an old Galaxy Nexus and have no issues like this on any of them. Maybe there's some customization for the phone or OS that's causing the problem?
tchin1
Initiate
Initiate
I am having the same problem as too. Using the app i am always getting and iffline message and the last thing I did was to disable my cameras (as people were home) and now I can't turn them on again!!!. Very fustrating.
I am ising samsung s7 edge android 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Server issues this morning.  Try again.

TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi jguerdat,

Problems as described above still excist.

I know not every Android user experience this problem, however I have seen multiple posts where users have the same issues.

The newest Android Arlo app takes much too long before the status of the camera's is shown. It sometimes even takes longer before I am able to change modes. The app sometimes really shows "getting status" for more than a minute. I have two different Android devices using Android 6 and 7. I never had problems and the previous Android version (when I re-install) works perfect.

Point is, for some users, the newest Android Arlo app (2.3.2) is buggy regarding connecting time.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this topic to engineering for further investigation. I will post back with an update when I have more information.

JamesC

TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

Good news!

In my support case Arlo / Netgear just confirmed to me that the root cause is known and will be fixed soon.

Good job Arlo!!!!

Dinmi
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is good news TKNT81 but your message is from 7 days ago, there still hasn't been an update in the playstore. 

There have been numerous complaints concerning this issue and no clear or prompt reaction from Netgear. To be honest, I am fairly annoyed about this whole thing. Paid a lot of money for this system and expect a decent working app or a quick reponse in case of bugs. 

But, at least I learned here from all of you that the problem is known and not an isolated issue. Keeping fingers crossed for a speedy fix. 

wtdnielsen
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am experiencing the same issue on my Nexus 5x. The app is very buggy and I need to force close it several times. The login Activity relaunches multiple times and I always need to force close and then open again. On a daily basis I get errors like “SYSTEM IS OFFLINE", "No subscriber", infinite "Getting Status ". Often I just need to do the same actions twice before I get a successful response
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That's odd since I have no problems with multiple Android devices running Nougat. Hate to say it but I suspect something in the phone is causing the issue. You could try safe mode or do a factory reset on the phone. I don't think it's the app by itself.
Dinmi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why would it be the phone? Everything worked perfectly 2 app versions ago. I don't remember whether an update of the base was performed but all of a sudden I was having the issues as mentioned above. Something seems to have gone screwy in the previous app updates. I am running Android 6.01 and again, it used to work just fine. I have no intention of doing a factory reset since I feel the cause of the problem lies with Netgear and a speedy fix on their part is warranted. There are many more users experiencing the same problem, also users running Android 7.
Tonstar1
Luminary
Luminary
How do you go back on the play store? 2.31??
Dinmi
Aspirant
Aspirant
@Tonstar1 Going back one version is definitely worth a try (I am not sure either how to accomplish that). However, I suspect that that is not going to fix the problem. I think there may have been a firmware update in between app versions 2.3.1 and 2.3.2. I now recall I experienced the problem while running 2.3.1. I updated to 2.3.2 expecting a fix was offered in that version.
I have firmware 1.8.9.0_11528 on hardware VMB4000R3. App version is 2.3.2_16308.
Latest Android 6.01.
wtdnielsen
Aspirant
Aspirant

do you guys use finger print for loggin in? might be worth mentioning.