Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 41 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
GAHope
Guide
Guide

Every time I use the Arlo application it freezes my iPhone. I must wait 30 seconds or more before the phone stats responding again. In that time the phone will not respond at all. This is the only application that has this issue on my phone. iPhone 12 MAX.  All of my cameras are updated and my phone is updated. 

I have an H4 and H3 cameras also. 4 cameras total. 1 is WiFi at a different location. 

I have reinstalled the application. 

I see in the community that others are having the same issue. 

Please help.

41 REPLIES 41
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You said you reinstalled the app but did you reboot the phone, too?

GAHope
Guide
Guide
I have rebooted my phone multiple times and in different ways hard reset soft reset so on and so forth.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

echo191177
Guide
Guide

Same here.  My iPhone 12 Pro Max freezes completely for at least 10 to 20 seconds when I start a device.

Arlo devices I used/am currently using (always the latest Firmware):

• Pro 2 with Base
  • Pro 4 without Base
  • Ultra 2 with Base

iPhones used:

iPhone 11 pro Max and iPhone 12 pro Max with countless different software releases. Always the latest.

This problem is mentioned in a lot of threads throughout the Arlo Forums and other Forums and there is obviously no solution yet.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @echo191177

Can you provide more detail regarding this "freezing". Is the Arlo app itself freezing, closing out, or is the live stream having an issue loading? 

Thanks 

echo191177
Guide
Guide
As I wrote. The complete iPhone freezes. I cannot use the iPhone anymore for about 10-20 seconds. The Arlo app ist still Open but you can only here sound, the video freezes too. I cannot close the app and I cannot shutdown the iPhone. Nothing works.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@echo191177

Regarding this statement, "iPhone 11 pro Max and iPhone 12 pro Max with countless different software releases. Always the latest."

Are you referencing the Arlo app version or iPhone iOS versions?

Do you have the latest version of iOS installed on your devices? iOS v15.2 & the latest version of the Arlo mobile app v3.5.10?

Does this occur on any other devices iOS/Android?

Thanks

GAHope
Guide
Guide
I find it funny how every time something is submitted to a form all you get back is questions. Yes the phone has been rebooted yes the phone has been updated yes the phone has been rebooted and updated, the app has been updated the app has been deleted the app has been re-added the phone has been rebooted the phone was hard rebooted and soft rebooted. As stated in previous emails including the first one I am on the current version of iOS and the current version of the app I have listed out what type of phone I am using and have provided quite a bit of information already.
echo191177
Guide
Guide

@ShayneS  schrieb:

@echo191177

Regarding this statement, "iPhone 11 pro Max and iPhone 12 pro Max with countless different software releases. Always the latest."

Are you referencing the Arlo app version or iPhone iOS versions?

Do you have the latest version of iOS installed on your devices? iOS v15.2 & the latest version of the Arlo mobile app v3.5.10?

Does this occur on any other devices iOS/Android?

Thanks

Arlo devices I used/am currently using (always the latest Firmware):

• Pro 2 with Base
  • Pro 4 without Base
  • Ultra 2 with Base

iPhones used:

iPhone 11 pro Max and iPhone 12 pro Max with countless different software releases. Always the latest.

App Version at the moment: 3.5.10 (2888)

---------

By the way, this happens EVERY TIME i use the Arlo app. I wonder why you never had that issue in your tests since a lot of other users have the same issues and are complaining about it here in your forums.

echo191177
Guide
Guide
Any information about what the problem might be? I found dozens of similar support requests since 2018(!) in a 1 min. Google search, so this obviously is a well known issue.

Since restarting reinstalling rebooting does not help, what shall we do? I really like the Arlo approach, but every time I need to watch the camera, the app freezes my entire iPhone?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What version of iOS are you running on the phone?

FWIW, I've never seen this with my iPhone 12 mini (currently running iOS 15.2)

echo191177
Guide
Guide
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 15.2
  • Arlo App 3.5.10 (2888)
  • Arlo Ultra 2 (set of 4 cameras)

I had the same issues with the Arlo Pro 4 (no Base, just Wifi). After a 1 min. google search i found countless cases of "Freezing Arlo App" so it's not only me and it's probably not my connection or my router etc.

FYI: When the iPhone freezes, the sound keeps playing, so i can hear what's going on on the cameras, but everything else is not operational. Maybe that helps some developer at Arlo idk. if you need further information or some test that I could perform (besides rebooting/reinstalling/restarting), write me.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@echo191177 wrote:

FYI: When the iPhone freezes, the sound keeps playing, so i can hear what's going on on the cameras, but everything else is not operational. 

I'm wondering if changing the setup to record in 1080p would result in different behavior. So try going in the camera video settings and

• disable 2K livestreaming if enabled
  • enable auto track and zoom (which will result in 1080p recordings using H.264, instead of 2K recordings using H.265).
echo191177
Guide
Guide

It has nothing to do with recording. It occurs when I start the app and go to devices and start a camera live view, or two or three, no matter. I am not live streaming with 4k.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue with your app? 

bassinhuntin
Tutor
Tutor

Mine freezes also on my iPhone 12. Phone and Arlo app have been updated to latest software. I have noticed this for 2-3 months. Sometimes I have to turn phone all the way off to get out of Arlo app.

GAHope
Guide
Guide
Yes
bassinhuntin
Tutor
Tutor

I can’t because the app and iPhone is frozen. You can’t click anything and sometimes I have to turn my phone off to get out of the Arlo app.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@bassinhuntin

Which version of iOS is your iPhone running? 

bassinhuntin
Tutor
Tutor

jenelephant
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the Arlo Pro 4 XL three cam system and the app (newly installed and up to date) keeps freezing my iPhone 12 Pro Max (also up to date) The entire phone freezes and nothing is working (with the exception of the sound from the camera) I can't even force shut off the phone. Yes, I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app and rebooting the phone.

I see you've suggested that people update their apps and their phone and, if that doesn't work, you suggested turn down the resolution on their cameras. How about fixing the bug? The whole reason I bought this system was because of the resolution. I wouldn't have paid this much if I thought the hi res wouldn't be an option. The picture on these isn't even that great to begin with. Honestly looks like 480p. Not what I was expecting.

Summer4me
Guide
Guide
Exactly same problem. Just locks up, if you keep hitting the power button it make lock the screen and you can go back to Arlo. It’s always live view that locks up the screen.
I have 10 pages of apps and none lock up the screen. Even other security video apps , all work fine.
This is 100% an Arlo problem. They need to just get a current gen iPhone , updated and just try watching live views. Boom: locked up!
bassinhuntin
Tutor
Tutor
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bassinhuntin wrote:
Yep 100%

I am not seeing this on my iPhone 12 mini (running iOS 15.4.1).