Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
varxtis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Explaination of circumstances:

My wife and I have had a problem with a neighbor tresspassing on our property in our back yard, using our yard as her dog pooping grounds. And she doesn't pick up. I'm not talking 5ft in, Im saying 80-100ft in. Due to circumstances that I wont go into, closing the back off with fences is just plain not an option. We've asked her to stay off our property, she says "go to hell. We also have two designated turn-abouts in the bach as a curtisy to the residence that live on the street behind us. Their street is very very narrow and U-turns are dificult and even unsafe. So we put clearly marked no tresspassing signs, also stating no parking at any time.  she violates the signs, tresspassing, as well as parking. We got camers. But its a fairly large property, and the cameras signal only extends so far from the base. so the image doesn't pick up details. You can tell its her, only if you know her.

Secondly someones stealing our mail, which we think is her aswell as I've caught her parked in front of our mail box. The mail box is across the street. we've placed a camera at the edge of the propertyfacing the mailbox. But even with cars that are 10ft away, we cannot make out liscence plate numbers, let alone ones on the oposite side of the street near the mail box.

These cameras are turning out to be border line useless.

To the Point:

Question 1: Aside from the option in settings to adjust video quality to "best" is there anything to make the clarity better. "Best" isn't cutting it.

Question 2 (on a slightly unrelated matter): is there a way to RECORD video continuously during scheduled times, not just "arm" motion detection. And Im asking for a solution that doesn't require subscribing to CVR which would cost at least $80 a month since we have 4 cameras.

We had a $50 Time Lapse Camera that was able to do this. Admittedly, Arlo provides a great deal of conveniences over the TLC. Camera placement, Notifications to phone, live stream from phone and other devices, and you don't have to deal with any SD Cards. But so far as we can tell, thats about it. Whats the point of any of that if you can't catch the face or plate numbers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Q1 ;  ... Prob not...these cameras are really meant for close up pictures, not at a distance.  ( tho at ten feet you can get plates if the car is still with the correct angle )

The max distance to detect people is ( for a Pro, Pro2 ) is about 25 feet .... the observed area should be less then the detection range for good result.

Q2 ; No... theses are motion detect then record cameras... if you want continous, you need a powered camera and the CVR option..OR a different camera.

The only option Arlo has for distance beyon the range of the bases is a GO camera.  The work on mobile data ( like cell phone ) and will function as long as you have cell service... that option can be costly for you.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Q1 ;  ... Prob not...these cameras are really meant for close up pictures, not at a distance.  ( tho at ten feet you can get plates if the car is still with the correct angle )

The max distance to detect people is ( for a Pro, Pro2 ) is about 25 feet .... the observed area should be less then the detection range for good result.

Q2 ; No... theses are motion detect then record cameras... if you want continous, you need a powered camera and the CVR option..OR a different camera.

The only option Arlo has for distance beyon the range of the bases is a GO camera.  The work on mobile data ( like cell phone ) and will function as long as you have cell service... that option can be costly for you.

Morse is faster than texting!
varxtis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Fair enough. Thank you very much for your time and input!

Jonjonajamieson
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’ve said this before. And I’ll say it again. Arlo needs to create dedicated signal boosters like ‘Ring’ has.