Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Emyr
Guide
Guide
Is there a solution to the motion sensitivity changing with ambient temperature? On a cold day (5deg C) 85% sensitivity works fine. When ambient increases to 15deg C, sensitivity has to be manually reduced to about 50%. Is there no temp. compensating circuit?
2 REPLIES 2
tinokremer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why does the sensitivity needs to be changed?

The motion detection is infra red detection. That means it basically sees warmth. On a cold day, it's able to detect much more as the surroundings are very cold and a warm human or creature makes a big difference. On a warmer day, the surroundings are also warm, making it much harder to detect humans or creatures. So if you would like to change it, I would say you want to increase the sensitivity when the temperature goes up.

That said, mine are all on 90% and work flawlessly. It works when it's winter or summer or in between (like 10 degrees Celcius). I do see more cats and such when it's really cold outside, but human beings are always detected, no matter what the outside temperature.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While there may be a temperature effect, it may be that the biggest difference is in the sun's angle.The sun is a huge IR source and reflections from various objects change according to the season/sun's angle.

There may be other factors at work, too.