Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
singlet
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been using the Arlo system for approx 6 weeks now and have the following observations:

The system generally works well and mostly satisfies my requirements but it could use 2 major improvements

a) The delay between motion and capture is without a doubt the most frustating issue and needs improvement

b) The inability to rotate cameras 90deg is the most annoying missing feature and needs to be added

I would also like continuous record while motion continues and maybe simple security tethers for the camera's which may not totally prevent serious theft or vandalism but would at least deter mischief theft. 

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

singlet,

Thank you for the feedback!

Due to the cameras being battery operated they will sleep until motion detection triggers them to wake up and start recording. There may be a very slight delay between when the camera wakes up and when recording starts. Take a look at this article for ways to be sure you're getting the best performance out of your Arlo cameras: Optimizing motion detection performance on Arlo Wire-Free cameras

JamesC

singlet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks James, I already have they system optimized but reviewed the article to confirm. My comments stand, the delay is too long, they need to wake up faster Man Happy

I'm generally ok with the system, just providing feedback to help product improvement.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only realistic way to reduce lag is to get better positioning for motion detection. Having the motion move across the FOV as well as starting at the edges helps a lot.  It's not always possible to achieve this but many folks try to include too much in the scene for detection to work well.  A bit of trial and error with exact position and angle can help a lot.  The best you'll get is a 1-2 second delay before recording - if it's longer, it's likely the position/angle that's causing it.

LewisC
Aspirant
Aspirant

1-2 seconds isn't good enough. Is Netgear under the pretence that burglars and trespassers stroll leisurely onto properties?

I agree entirely with the OP and quite frankly 'Buy the next model up to fix a fundamental problem' seems to be the only solution offered around here and it's not acceptable when the upgrade isn't financially viable for most 'old gen' owners.