Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jgarrison64
Tutor
Tutor

For the last month or so (since the end of July 2020) the Arlo IOS app has been very slow to respond.  When I start it, it says all my devices are offline, yet I just received a notification that one of my cameras was triggered!  Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 minutes or longer before it will display what the current Mode setting is, which is very frustrating.  Often I have to kill the Arlo app on my IOS device once or twice before it is usable.  It seems like this problem might have started beginning with a recent Arlo IOS app update from sometime around July 2020.  Lastly, I am not using 2 step verification, because we have a number of IOS devices in our house and it is a pain if I have to get a text every time I use a different device to interact with my Arlo camera systems.  Could this behavior be the result of us not using the 2 step verification?

Regards,

Jim

9 REPLIES 9
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you updated to 2.19.2 just released? It works ok here but some say they still have the problems you described. Not sure if 2FA will help but you will will need to go to it Sept 30 so you can try to get used to it. 

Jgarrison64
Tutor
Tutor

I’ve updated the app to 2.19.2, but so far no improvement.  Question: if I enable 2FA does that mean every time I login to one of my 4 IOS devices, I’ll have to repeat the authentication for that device? Also is it possible to stay logged into the Arlo app on all 4 IOS devices at the same time?

Thanks,

Jim

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Jgarrison64,

What iOS version are your devices running? For your iPhone, is it still slow on cellular data and/or WiFi? Have you tried rebooting your devices to see if that helps too?

And as long as you don't log out the Arlo app (just close out the app; not force closing out the app), you should still be logged on.

Jgarrison64
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry for the delay in this reply.  All of my IOS devices are running IOS 13.6.1.  It doesn’t seem to make any difference whether the device is using WiFi or cellular.  What does seem to make the biggest difference is if I make a change in the mode with one device and later want to change the mode with a second device.  The second device will show the last mode that it was used to set rather than the actual current mode status.  It often won’t update to the current mode status unless I kill the app and restart it and wait 2-3 minutes.  And that is the main problem- I want to set the current mode to Disabled and it takes so long to do that, that I end up just giving up and triggering the cameras repeatedly.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

When you change the mode status through the web client, does it show the updated mode on your iOS devices on the Arlo iOS app?

Jgarrison64
Tutor
Tutor

No, after that the IOS devices usually show whatever Mode status they last set, unless I kill the app and restart it and even then it may take a few minutes before it finally gets the current status, which it has to do before I can change the status.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would suggest to contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Jgarrison64
Tutor
Tutor

Okay I think I have figured out how to reproduce this problem.

First I enabled 2 Step Verification.  I have an iPhone 11 and an iPad Pro, both running IOS 13.6.1 and Arlo app version 2.19.2 (993).  Here are the steps to reproduce the problem.  
1. log out of the arlo app on both devices.

2. log into the arlo app on my iPad.

3. log into the arlo app on my iPhone.  This causes the arlo app on my iPad to log out.
4. Now start any other app, and let my iPhone go idle, IE screen is blank, but it will still ring if someone calls me.

5. log back into the arlo app on my iPad.  Now because the arlo app on iPhone is not currently running (it’s still in memory) it cannot log me out, and because of that the arlo app on my iPad is unable show me any recordings and cannot get or set the current mode setting (because it still thinks the iPhone is logged in).  

One last thing.  The problem seems worse if both devices are using WiFi rather than cellular.

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am experiencing the same issue.  I however do have 2 step verification enabled.  iOS 13.7 on an iPhone 8 and iPhone SE.  The app is extremely slow, reports the wrong status and if an event is triggered the library also fails to show the clip for ages too.  

WiFi, LTE/4G it makes no difference, app still rubbish.  

On Saturday I also had all 3 cameras drain the batteries from 70% to nothing over night, no events and the cameras/base station have been in the same location for 18 months.  I was also going away meaning i hadn't time to recharge

Yet again Arlo render my security system useless!!

I was going to get the Arlo video doorbell but this is making my question that

Its been fine for 18/24 months, what have Arlo done???