Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

video doorbell chimes continuously when power on

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
acpted1986
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased 2 video doorbells to connect with my existing Nutone intercom chime. I disconnected power, connected both chimes one for front door and one for side, when I turned the power back on the chime is on continuously. I tried attaching only one but still the same result. Suggestion 

45 REPLIES 45
vbnita
Tutor
Tutor

We are trying to install this Arlo Video Doorbell.  We put the power box in the existing chime and when we tie the outside video doorbell to the wires, the doorbell continuously sounds and doesn't stop until we take the wires off the doorbell.  If we don't get help, this is going right back.  This shouldn't be that difficult.  Did anyone get any help?

vbnita
Tutor
Tutor

On our system, it doesn't matter which position the power module in (o) or (x) the doorbell keeps ringing.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vbnita,

This could be acompatibilty issue with your transformer / chime box. Check your transformer voltage: How do I measure the voltage of my doorbell transformer?

JamesC

vbnita
Tutor
Tutor

Per a conversation with a tech on the telephone that was what he told us, we needed a new transformer.  We didn't understand why we would need a new transformer.  We went out and purchased a new transformer, spent another $27.00 and the doorbell did the exact same thing.  We hooked up the power unit before hooking up the doorbell and the chimes rang and wouldn't stop.  Disconnected the power kit and hooked up the wire at the video doorbell at the front door and the chime kept ringing without the power kit attached to the chime.    We checked the voltage on the existing transformer and it was in the range, and it was 16 VAC 10 VA, but we replaced it since we purchased the new unit.  The new transformer is a Utilitech Doorbell Transformer Item Number 63548, Model # LE- 125C-A

We set it to 24V-20VA 10 VA .

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am not sure I understand if the fix work or not? Did you use the power kit or not?  Did you put it on the chime after the doorbell?  

vbnita
Tutor
Tutor

We installed a new transformer.

We put the power pack in where the doorbell is.  

No, our system still does not work.  It rings and rings until we unplug the contact wires.

As soon as we connect the wires, the chime rings and rings completing the circuit.  We don't need to push the button for the bells to chime.   We set the power pack to 0 and it rang and rang.  We set the power pack to X and it rang and rang.

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

Horrible. Arlo needs to fix this.   The chiming has stopped on ours but every day, around 1 PM, I get a message that there is some tampering and to check to make sure it works . We never got a new transformer. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vbnita, aa1113

If you're still experiencing an issue after replacing the transformer, I recommend contacting either the Arlo Support Team or an install service such as HelloTech for further assistance.

For more information on HelloTech, take a look here: Where can I find professional help to install my Arlo Video Doorbell?

JamesC

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@vbnita wrote:

We put the power pack in where the doorbell is.  

To be clear on this - the power module is installed in the chime, not at the doorbell location.  Also, you want the power module switch set to "O".  "X" is bypass mode - the door chime shouldn't ring at all if you are using this setting.

10VA is the minimum spec for the transformer - you can go higher, and that might be advisable if you have more than one chime.  My current transformer is 40VA, and is working well.  My original (rather old) transformer was within spec, but didn't work well.

vbnita
Tutor
Tutor

StephenB

Yes, the power pack is installed where the chime is. I always called that the doorbell never referred to it as the "chime" until installing the video doorbell. We did not install the power pack at the doorbell button. We set the power pack to "O" and the chimes kept ringing. We decided to see what happens when we set the power pack to "X" and the chimes kept ringing.

The new transformer we purchased has 3 different settings, 8 VA/10VA, 16 VAC/10 VA, 24 VAC/20 VA. We tried it at all 3 settings and had the same results, continuous ringing of the chime which drives our dogs crazy. We don't just have a ding dong, we have the Westminister Chimes. Yes, the power pack is installed where the chime is. I always called that the doorbell never referred to it as the "chime" until installing the video doorbell. We did not install the power pack at the doorbell button (It wouldn't fit there anyway). We set the power pack to "O" and the chimes kept ringing. We decided to see what happens when we set the power pack to "X" and the chimes kept ringing.  I wonder why the chimes keep ringing when we have the power pack set to "X".  

The new transformer we purchased has 3 different settings, 8 VA/10VA, 16 VAC/10 VA, 24 VAC/20 VA. We tried it at all 3 settings and had the same results, continuous ringing of the chime which drives our dogs crazy. We don't just have a ding dong, we have the Westminister Chimes.  The tech we spoke with on the phone said the transformer we purchased should have fixed the problem,  He didn't say anything about purchasing a 40 VAC.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@vbnita wrote:

The tech we spoke with on the phone said the transformer we purchased should have fixed the problem,  He didn't say anything about purchasing a 40 VAC.

I wasn't suggesting that you needed to get 40 VA - just saying what I have.

If you've tried the 24v/20VA setting, then it's clearly not underpowered.

My own chimes are the "ding-dong" variety.  What model do you have?

vbnita
Tutor
Tutor

I wonder if we need the 40 VA.  It is just frustrating.  Something that should be so easy to install unless we have a faulty item.

We have the Westminister Chimes, it is about 9 chimes for the one series.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@vbnita wrote:

I wonder if we need the 40 VA.  It is just frustrating.  Something that should be so easy to install unless we have a faulty item.

Could be, I guess, but likely not.  It depends on how much power the chimes need.  It could also be a defective transformer I guess (though it was installed by an electrician, correct?  They should have checked the voltage and power).

@vbnita wrote:

We have the Westminister Chimes, it is about 9 chimes for the one series.

The chime model number should printed be inside the chime.  Though Arlo doesn't have a list of compatible chimes, Ring does have one.  If the specific chime is incompatible with Ring, then it is likely incompatible with Arlo.

It is also possible that you have a failed power kit.  If you set it bypass mode ("O"), the chime is supposed to be electrically unpowered, and not ring at all.  That doesn't seem to be happening in your system. So perhaps contact support and explore that possibility.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

vbnita
Tutor
Tutor

StephenB

We are waiting for a new Arlo Video Doorbell to see if that is the issue.  Our chime rings as soon as we connect the video doorbell wires without even connecting the power kit to the chime.

Maybe it is our chime.  Arlo should put conditions on the package so the consumer doesn't have to go through all this.  It is only easy to install given the correct conditions.  They should just start providing everything in the package.  I did read in some places when you purchase an Arlo Video Doorbell it comes with a transformer.

We currently have the Arlo HD  security cameras and thought we would stay with the same system for the video doorbell.  We also purchased an Orbi system from Netgear so we would be able to get an internet signal to all the cameras.  

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ours didn't have a transformer. We got it last month. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@aa1113 wrote:

Ours didn't have a transformer. We got it last month. 

I'm not sure what you are talking about exactly.

The video doorbell doesn't come with a transformer included.  But it does require that a transformer be powering the circuit, and the specs for the transformer are 16-24 volts AC and at least 10 VA.

Javi37
Tutor
Tutor

Hi everybody,

I purchased the 40VA transformer but I still have the continuous chime. I wonder if I have a bad "power" supply for the door bell. I put it in the "O" and the "X" but it continues to chime on both. 

Javi37
Tutor
Tutor

Hi @StephenB  I installed the 24V 40VA transformer but I still hear the continuous chime. Could it be the power kit is bad? Or do I need to wait for the camera to charge before the lights come on?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Javi37 wrote:

Hi @StephenB  I installed the 24V 40VA transformer but I still hear the continuous chime. Could it be the power kit is bad? Or do I need to wait for the camera to charge before the lights come on?

I'm not sure if the power module is bad or if the camera is defective.  You could try Arlo support, or perhaps exchange it with the seller.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Javi37
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you @StephenB I exchange it and viola! it works like a charm. I believe my power kit was bad. Once I got the new one, all is good. That 40VA transformer is the ticket for all doorbell problems too. 

Javi37
Tutor
Tutor

Well, I spoke too soon. Now the doorbell does not even power on. I have power going to the camera but nothing. I wonder if the 40VA was too much power. Anyways, I am done with Arlo, very difficult to find the right combination to make it work. I wish they actually had tech support or a real company to help instead of outsourcing like they do. It is puzzling that videos on youtube make it look so easy however, that is NOT the case at all. I tried, mechanical chimes, digital chimes, no chime, the Arlo doorbell camera is about worthless for what i see on this board. Well, I will be returning mine tomorrow and NEVER recommend Arlo to anyone. 

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation