Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

video doorbell chimes continuously when power on

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
acpted1986
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased 2 video doorbells to connect with my existing Nutone intercom chime. I disconnected power, connected both chimes one for front door and one for side, when I turned the power back on the chime is on continuously. I tried attaching only one but still the same result. Suggestion 

45 REPLIES 45
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@acpted1986 wrote:

I purchased 2 video doorbells to connect with my existing Nutone intercom chime. I disconnected power, connected both chimes one for front door and one for side, when I turned the power back on the chime is on continuously. I tried attaching only one but still the same result. Suggestion 

Did you connect the power modules to the chime?

acpted1986
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, that’s why I turn off the power.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@acpted1986 wrote:
Yes, that’s why I turn off the power.

What are the specs for the doorbell transformer (voltage and VA)

Tineke_C
Star
Star
I have similar problem. Doorbell chime has a low buzzing, Almost constantly. Sometimes it gives off a small chime. Someone in another forum elsewhere mentioned it may be because the doorbell is pulling more electrical load Than a normal doorbell , and Then is Activating the chime? I’m not an electrician, so not sure what that would mean in terms of a fix, But, if this isn’t an easy fix, then this doorbell isn’t going to work for me! (Yes,I connected the Arlo thing to the chime, as per instructions. I used a multi-meter and have 16 Volts at My doorbell. )
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tineke_C wrote:
I have similar problem. Doorbell chime has a low buzzing, Almost constantly. Sometimes it gives off a small chime. Someone in another forum elsewhere mentioned it may be because the doorbell is pulling more electrical load Than a normal doorbell , and Then is Activating the chime? I’m not an electrician, so not sure what that would mean in terms of a fix, But, if this isn’t an easy fix, then this doorbell isn’t going to work for me! (Yes,I connected the Arlo thing to the chime, as per instructions. I used a multi-meter and have 16 Volts at My doorbell. )

Do you know what VA rating is on the transformer? It also needs to be at least 10 VA.

Upgrading the transformer is probably the next step.  

arc3
Guide
Guide

Did the doorbell constantly ringing issue get resolved.? I’m having the same problem. The doorbell constantly rings when I turn the power back on. 

I shouldn’t have to upgrade transformers or any of that nonsense when the product was clearly marketed as a simple install.

Tineke_C
Star
Star
I don’t know the VA if my transformer . Haven’t found it yet. I assumed that since I measured 16 V at my doorbell with my multimeter, that I had enough electrical output for the new doorbell ??? Is that an incorrect assumption?
Tineke_C
Star
Star
To Arc3,
I’ve read Similar complaints on other forums for other video doorbell brands as well. I saw one YouTube video of a fix for our problem, but the guy just put a resistor wire across in the chimes (like the one that came with our doorbell to install). That fixed it for him. Still not sure about our situation, since it’s still doing it, despite having already installed the resistor wire. That being said, I've Realized my chime is buzzing only when the doorbell motion sensor is activated.
arc3
Guide
Guide

I’m having trouble finding the YouTube video you referenced in your reply. Can you give some hints as to how to find it?

Tineke_C
Star
Star
acpted1986
Tutor
Tutor

So I did get both video doorbells installed and running but here are the caveats; (1) I had to get an electrician friend of mine to get the correct configuration to power them and I have zero idea how he did it however  (2) he could not make it work with the digital chime in my intercom. As of now when the bell is rung it will send a ring to my phone but I have no other chime. I thought the easy fix would be Arlo chimes but apparently they only work with Arlo audio doorbell and NOT video doorbell at this time which really sucks big time... thanks Arlo. My next step is to install a mechanical chime that will connect to the video doorbells... sheeeesh!

arc3
Guide
Guide

Thanks!

arc3
Guide
Guide

It also appears that too much power might be causing the doorbell to constantly ring. In that case, Arlo support is telling me I’ll have to turn off power kit- meaning I won’t hear the doorbell ring. Kind of a lame solution.

acpted1986
Tutor
Tutor
And for the record... I do not like the fact that we, as Arlo consumers, have to figure solutions amongst ourselves instead of the genius’s that designed this product. Thanks Arlo, we’ll figure out how to make your sh*t work
arc3
Guide
Guide

I agree. It would be better if Arlo at least made more disclosures about solutions more readily available.

I was on a chat with Arlo this afternoon for about 45 minutes. Although the chat person was very nice and tried to help, I fault the front end support and installation material. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tineke_C wrote:
I don’t know the VA if my transformer . Haven’t found it yet. I assumed that since I measured 16 V at my doorbell with my multimeter, that I had enough electrical output for the new doorbell ??? Is that an incorrect assumption?

There's two specs - voltage (V) and power (VA).  Both matter.

My transformer was in my basement.  It might also be in an electrical box behind the chime.

@arc3 wrote:

It also appears that too much power might be causing the doorbell to constantly ring. 

With an ordinary doorbell, there is no power flowing through the circuit when you aren't pressing the doorbell.  

With a video doorbell, there is always power flowing through the doorbell.  Since the chime is part of the circuit, that means there is always power flowing through the chime.  That can cause the chime to sound when the doorbell isn't pressed (among other symptoms).  The power module acts as a bypass - some of the power runs through the power module instead of the doorbell, which should keep the doorbell from ringing.

Tineke_C
Star
Star
So, I found my transformer. It is 16 V and 10 VA.

As an update, the buzzing stopped after a few days. And then a few weeks later it started again. I disarmed the doorbell from my app, and also turned off the camera from the Arlo app. The buzzing persisted. I then removed the cover of the doorbell chime and just touched/slightly shifted one of the pieces that seemed like it was vibrating, as if it was touching something it shouldn’t. It seems to have done the trick for now, at least for the past few days. Just thought that might be helpful for someone else struggling with the same issues.
mjsnabe
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think you have something here. Mine has a 16v - 30va transformer on it and had the same issue only after connecting the battery pack. If I pressed on the chime housing it stopped, which made me think it was a vibration. Reading this seems to confirm it. Right now it stopped but if it starts again I may use foam tape for the battery pack, tape the battery pack wires back so they don't touch the cover and/or add a couple screws to the chime mount.
Tineke_C
Star
Star

So, another update...

my doorbell started chiming wildly for about 20 minutes. I took off the cover and could see the hammer going.  Again, turning off the doorbell; and disarming it via the app did not help.  After a while it stopped.  Then started again a few hours later for a few minutes.  Then it was quiet for a few days; then sometimes a very low buzzing.

It would be nice if Arlo tech people would chime in (no pun intended) and provide some guidance to ALL OF US here !!!  I haven't returned it yet, just b/c I don't have time to deal with this!!!

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

We have a chiming problem also. every once in a while it does a very soft chime. I have tried to figured out why and I think is when it detects noise.  Not sure, I am still working on it. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@aa1113 wrote:

We have a chiming problem also. every once in a while it does a very soft chime. I have tried to figured out why and I think is when it detects noise.  Not sure, I am still working on it. 

Make sure the power module is properly connected.

This might also be a transformer problem.

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

I also keep getting a notification that says..."Tamper detected. Check your doorbell to ensure it is still connected and working properly." 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@aa1113 wrote:

I also keep getting a notification that says..."Tamper detected. Check your doorbell to ensure it is still connected and working properly." 

I'm not sure what triggers that.  But I do suggest checking that the doorbell leads are tightly connected.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

aa1113,

Adding to what StephenB mentions about checking the leads, this could also be a transformer issue. If the Doorbell is losing power for any reason, it will result in the tamper detected message you're experiencing.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation