Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Elboydo
Guide
Guide
I have activity zones setup on my new video doorbell in an attempt to stop cars going by sending notifications. However the app keeps flagging motion in the non-active area. Is there an update or a work around for this issue?
163 REPLIES 163
Pro-666
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Jsmitty66 wrote:
I gave up and removed my Arlo Video Doorbell. Not only is product engineering support lacking, the customer service at Arlo is non-existent. For anyone within the return period, I would suggest returning yours. I will no longer be purchasing Arlo devices and will be slowly replacing the other Arlo cameras and lights that I own.

Good luck finding a reliable video doorbell product. Ring sucks on performance. Their customer service is great what I've experienced. But who knows if it's just a network war between companies or not. You never know if one company hires internet hackers to bombard the other. I mean come on, you know it's possible, and you know it's recently been done by other companies to attack their competitors.

So all you can do is hope you picked the "best" company possible. Just don't don't get one of those "bottom of the barrel" low price camera systems. I'm sure those janky/spying Chinese companies would thank you if you did.

Chronoxeno
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the latest firmware for my Arlo Video Doorbell and my activity zones are still not working. The amount of notifications I get every hour for each passing car means that any motion that I want to be notified of is lost within the noise.

Pro-666
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Chronoxeno wrote:

I have the latest firmware for my Arlo Video Doorbell and my activity zones are still not working. The amount of notifications I get every hour for each passing car means that any motion that I want to be notified of is lost within the noise.

Wow. By what I've been reading it seems this problem has been going on for many months now, 8 months or more looking at the original post.

Does Arlo even know of this bug? This seems like abandonment to me.

Are they even supporting these devices anymore?

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice
I had this issue before and it went away. About a week ago it started again. I keep redoing the zones and nothing helps. Yesterday I got over 100 notifications, mostly for vehicles and motion. I have those turned off due to the amount of notifications, it seems the Camera doesn’t know what is what or is aware that I have those turned off. We live on a busy street and some days it’s over 300. Very annoying. I have been noticing that something happens the day our monthly subscription renews. I have chatted with about 3 agents, 2 were clueless, third one said I need faster internet. I am not doing anything until Arlo get it’s act together.
sparlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here.

Activity zones simply not working...

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can't believe Arlo is still selling this thing.  I've been happy with my Eufy doorbell for the last several weeks.

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

I am not sure why they asked me to open two different tickets (one for each of my issues) several months ago and I have never hear anything back.  They need to resolve the issues with the activity zones and getting notifications for things not turned on (IE getting notifications for vehicles when not on).  Also I have noticed in the past few weeks answering the doorbell has become slower when you answer and try to see the video.  I have mine directly connected to WIFI and not through the HUB the other cameras use (it gets a better signal this way).

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree with you on both things. The lag between ringing the doorbell and actually get notified. Also the zones and the notifications. I get over 100 notifications a day for vehicles. I turned vehicles off due to the fact that they are out of my zones but still was getting notified. I turned it off and I am still getting notified

GBMaryland
Tutor
Tutor

Apparently, if you post a message potentially unflattering to an Arlo product, they appear to delete the message...

I too, am not seeing any options for setting up a Custom Mode with an Arlo Video camera.

Frankly, I'm wondering why that would be and if Arlo is purposely not advertising that?

...or was this disabled due to the activity zone issues?

(If this message gets deleted, I will start posting EVERYPLACE in the internet.  I will even go so far as to call the local NBC affiliate.  Don't test me.)

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
Not sure what you mean by custom mode. I have a custom node set on my doorbell camera.
AvaNick1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm just getting through these posts, on page 3 of 7 at this point and I couldn't agree more. I overpaid for the Arlo system with multiple cameras once the doorbells came out so I could have an all-in-one system. Since I've had the doorbells installed almost a year ago I've been trying to dial in the correct settings to avoid notifications on my front doorbell but cars still activate notifications. Why have activity zones if they don't work? Also, yes I've been paying the added cost for the monthly monitoring and Arlo has still yet to get back to me and take ownership of the issue and fix it since it came out in October/November 2019. Unreal but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one that is incredibly disappointed with the entire experience so far. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Unfortunately I will have to agree with everyone here.  I have been fiddling with the video doorbell activity zones for some time now and can only achieve some degree of sanity by dropping the motion sensitivity to 4 to limit the number of triggered events.  I just installed 2 Ring doorbells, 1 Ring floodlight security cam on a rental property of mine and their activity zone works perfectly.  Will be getting rid of my 5 Arlo cams in the near future.  Certainly feel like a fool having paid the monthly subscription for features that are non-existent for a year...

As others have previously mentioned about Arlo deleting unfavorable posts, I will also be tracking this post closely.

aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

everything is bad about this camera.  Ours now keeps switching the Other notifications off.  I have to have it on to get the persons or it won't send notifications.   The app is slower that slow and keeps freezing. What is the sense to have a camera when you can't move to see what is going on.  I also feel I am donating the monthly fee as we are getting horrible service. OUr sis under ayear old. I chatted with them and to replace it they want you to send this one back at your cost.  Really, and I will have that mess outside my door. They also send refurbished ones.  Horrible, bad, they should be ashamed of themselves.  

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice
I finally received a refund yesterday from my return of the video doorbell after opening a case on Feb 2. This was a complete fiasco and I will never buy another Arlo product.