Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
locutor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed my wired Arlo Doorbell a few days ago and set up a monitor dedicated to showing the web client so I can watch as I work. But the video works for only 5-10 min. before switching to a faint image with three superimposed white dots continuously cycling. Eventually I get a "request timed out" error or "an unexpected error occurred -- please try again." If I don’t jump on it, it logs me out of my account. Keeping the video going requires constant clicking past error msgs. and restarting. No good.

What do the cycling dots mean? That’s where it starts going wrong. This can’t be normal; it’s offline more than it’s on. The Wifi signal at the doorbell is strong.

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suspect the issue may be that you're depleting the small onboard battery in the doorbell. It's my understanding that the purpose of the battery is to supplement the limited current from the transformer during high current usage. Perhaps by constantly streaming you're using the camera outside of the design criteria and get into an unknown condition.

I would use a separate camera for this purpose if my suspicions are correct.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the specs of the transformer you are using with the doorbell? voltage (VAC) and Amperage/VA.

locutor
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. I couldn’t find the transformer for my doorbell – looked everywhere for it; there’s no way to trace it. So I was unable to install the power pack. But I confirmed 22V at the doorbell with a meter before installing it. Amperage: my ammeter needle barely moves off zero (0-6 scale) with the cam on and working, if it moves at all. I can see how the symptoms I described could point to a power issue, though.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@locutor wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I couldn’t find the transformer for my doorbell – looked everywhere for it; there’s no way to trace it. So I was unable to install the power pack. 

Do you have a chime?  Normally the powerpack is installed at the chime. 

Also, when you measured the voltage, were you seeing AC voltage or DC?

locutor
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, I found the chime and transformer hiding in the back of the loft and installed the power kit. But I’m still getting only 5-10 min. of video until it goes to the three dots and eventually quits. Measured 17.7 VAC. But the transformer is rated at 16V, 10VA. I’m guessing that’s not enough juice.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@locutor wrote:

But the transformer is rated at 16V, 10VA. I’m guessing that’s not enough juice.

It is at the bottom of the spec range.  Still, it could be the transformer, so you could replace it.  Check the chime specs for the max voltage it can handle.  You can go over 10VA in any case, as that is the max power it can deliver.

Another option is to exchange the doorbell, under the theory that the charging circuitry might be defective.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation