WIRING A RELAY INTO THE CHIME OF A WIRED DOORBELL

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
nedkelly1899
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can someone please provide me with a wiring diagram to wire in a 24V AC relay to a 12V AC powered chime?

The power needs to be around 24V AC for the system to work.

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@nedkelly1899 wrote:

Can someone please provide me with a wiring diagram to wire in a 24V AC relay to a 12V AC powered chime?

Do you mean a transformer?  Is the chime receiving 12 V AC from the existing transformer, or is the chime receiving mains power?

nedkelly1899
Aspirant
Aspirant

The chime gets 12V AC power from the transformer which is fed by 24V mains.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@nedkelly1899 wrote:

The chime gets 12V AC power from the transformer which is fed by 24V mains.

I think you must mean 240V mains.

Anyway, the AVD1001 needs 16-24V AC, not 12V AC.  The AVD2001 would be compatible (8-24V AC), and it would trickle-charge from the 12V AC.

If you mean the power kit when you say Relay, then it is wired across the connection in the chime (one part connected to the wire coming from the doorbell, the other going to the return).  So it is in parallel with the chime mechanism.  However, the AVD2001 doesn't need the power kit (it is only used by the AVD1001).

nedkelly1899
Aspirant
Aspirant

For some reason I had seen on another post that with a setup like mine usingh 12V AC, that  by adding a 24v AC relay it would make the chime feel like it was getting 24V so the system would work with the arlo power module without having to change both the transformer and the chime with the wired doorbell.  Not being that savvy with circuitry I wasnt sure if it a valid was a solution.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@nedkelly1899 wrote:

For some reason I had seen on another post that with a setup like mine usingh 12V AC, that  by adding a 24v AC relay it would make the chime feel like it was getting 24V so the system would work with the arlo power module without having to change both the transformer and the chime with the wired doorbell.  Not being that savvy with circuitry I wasnt sure if it a valid was a solution.

Not something I recall seeing here, and I'm not thinking of a good way for it to work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@nedkelly1899 wrote:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Video-Doorbell/New-Video-Doorbell-with-8V-Chime-UK-Installation/m...

Thx, I'd missed that particular thread.

Unfortunately @Rograt doesn't describe the wiring he used.  When I googled, I found a wiring diagram for Ring, which I think will also work for Arlo.  But this isn't something I've tried (my own chime uses a 24 vac transformer).

FVSX5MSK7C9FW43.png

nedkelly1899
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ive gone down the other track now.  Bought these on amazon

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B019BW9TX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07R6HNDDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wire the transformer in place of the existing one in the roof space and replace the chime. around $45. extra over and above the video doorbell.

For the advice of anyone else that has this issue.  Many existing chimes dont work due to the low AC voltage they use so the best way is just to replace both items.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation