Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
MrDF
Follower
Follower

Is there any plans for the Video Door Bell to have a Battery option instead of wired?

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MrDF,

The Arlo Video Doorbell is designed as a wired solution and does not operate via battery like an Arlo wire free camera. A battery only option isn't available for Arlo Video Doorbell at this time.

JamesC

DeepBlueImagery
Aspirant
Aspirant
If you don’t have an existing power door bell, Can you Power the video door bell some other way?? Are the power requirements the same as the power for the cameras? If not, What are the power reQuirements?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DeepBlueImagery wrote:
If you don’t have an existing power door bell, Can you Power the video door bell some other way?? Are the power requirements the same as the power for the cameras? If not, What are the power reQuirements?

It has to be powered with 16-24 volts AC (at least 10VA).  So you'd need to get a doorbell transformer (even if you don't have a doorbell), and connect that somehow to one of the circuits to your house, and then get the lower voltage wires to the doorbell.  This amounts to wiring a traditional doorbell (without the chime).

BTW, @JamesC:  I believe there is a mistake in the FAQ here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062329/Arlo-Video-Doorbell-FAQ

To install an Arlo Video Doorbell, you must have an existing wired doorbell and chime with electrical wiring to a chime box.   This is also in the quick install guide.

In fact you don't need a chime, and there is a mode where you can directly connect the power module to the transformer.

Chrisbhall
Aspirant
Aspirant
I would also cast a vote for a wireless version in future. We don’t have a wired doorbell now, and it sounds like a lot of work to set one up.
DaWeav
Guide
Guide

Sorry, but not having a built-in battery like all my other Arlo cameras is a deal breaker for me. And I really like Arlo's implementation of the wide angle camera technology too.

But I'm curious why the Arlo Video Doorbell was designed without a built-in battery when most all of the Arlo security cameras have built in batteries? If I had to guess, Ring must own a patent on this technology?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation