Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
marcdevinci
Tutor
Tutor

I'm trying to understand how the power kit is working together with the Arlo Video Doorbell. If I understood it correctly, the "Arlo Power Kit" is mainly bypassing the Chime in order to provide 24V AC to the video doorbell. If the Chime is supporting 24V AC, and connected correctly, when you press the Doorbell, the "Power kit" is shortly stopping the bypass and the Doorbell itself is doing a bypass. This is the only explanation because the chime needs to get 24V AC during this stage. Can someone confirms my understanding? Furthermore, how is the VideoDoorbell communicating with the Power Kit? (Zigbee? Z-wave? Other?)

I would also appreciate a wiring diagram with some explanations how the entier system is working (24V AC transformer connected to the chime, Power Kit connected to the chime, Video Doorbell connected to the chime as well & wireless communication between the power kit and the doorbell).

I tried to search these answers in the community but didn't find any final confirmation. I think that a wiring diagram and some explanations how the entier system works is a must before you buy this product, especially because in the Europe most users will have to replace their transformer and chime. Thanks a lot in advance for any kind of help!

Thanks a lot in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The doorbell doesn't communicate directly with the power module. 

Instead the power module is triggering based on the current flowing through the connection.  If the current is small (e.g, the normal camera draw), then the module bypasses the chime.  If the current flowing is larger (because the doorbell switch is pressed), then the module stops bypassing the chime, causing the chime to ring.

Note I haven't attempted to reverse-engineer the circuitry.  This is just my understanding, based in part on conversations I had with Arlo a few months ago when my own power module was misbehaving.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The doorbell doesn't communicate directly with the power module. 

Instead the power module is triggering based on the current flowing through the connection.  If the current is small (e.g, the normal camera draw), then the module bypasses the chime.  If the current flowing is larger (because the doorbell switch is pressed), then the module stops bypassing the chime, causing the chime to ring.

Note I haven't attempted to reverse-engineer the circuitry.  This is just my understanding, based in part on conversations I had with Arlo a few months ago when my own power module was misbehaving.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation