Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 42 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
FakeName
Tutor
Tutor

Background: I don't want Arlo to call my phone ever when the doorbell is rung. It's obnoxious and completely unnecessary most of the time especially when I'm on calls during the day and packages are being delivered. Enough customers complained about this issue and Arlo released "Silent Mode" which stops the phone from ringing.

HOWEVER...

I just realized, and Arlo support agent Mr. Syed confirmed, that when Silent Mode is activated, the "leave a message" is also forced on; there is no ability to turn off "leave a message" mode. What this means is that if you don't want to be harassed with your phone ringing every time the doorbell is pressed, your doorbell will prompt visitors with a loud message to press the button again to leave a message. Yes, even if you have the "Leave your message" option under "Call Settings" turned off, it ignores that setting and still asks callers to leave a message.

Has anyone else found a hack for this? Perhaps driving a nail through the doorbell speaker to stop the voice or disconnecting the doorbell speaker somehow?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FakeName
Tutor
Tutor

I'm thrilled to say that I threw away my Arlo after a year of problems (including the ones listed on this thread and many others) and upgraded to a Eufy doorbell. It was easier to install, works better, and no monthly fee!

However, I had to file a BBB complaint against Arlo to get them to purge my personal information as they don't provide any way to open a support ticket anymore! Arlo is a disaster.

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • phlyphish
    Tutor
    Tutor

I have found a work around for this problem (on Android) that works for me. This solution affectively nullifies the Arlo call when the doorbell rings, and keeps the "Push button again to leave message" from playing, because the app is not set to silent mode.

It requires some technical ability on android and uses Tasker. I used a Tasker profile to turn my phone to "mute" status when the arlo doorbell is pressed. I still receive the Arlo Doorbell call, but, on activation of the call, a Tasker profile mutes my phone, including vibration, for thirty seconds while the arlo call rings. At the point, the Arlo call ends and the Tasker profile resets the phone to normal volumes and virbration. So effectively, the Arlos phone call still comes through, but there's no tactile or sound notification to disturb me. The only issue is if I'm using (looking at) the phone, it does still interrupt the display with the Arlo call, but that's easy to dismiss with a single tap. I could also delay the mute process for a second or two if I wanted a short sound and vibration from the Arlo call for when I'm where I can't hear the actual doorbell. 

I used AudioManager Pro profile shortcuts provided by Tasker to set and reset the volumes within Tasker.

23 REPLIES 23
LexCo61
Guide
Guide

I don't have a hack, but I see the same problem.  Just like the OP, I have Silent Mode ON, Incoming Call OFF, Traditional Chime ON, and Call Settings -> Leave your message set to OFF.   

I just want the doorbell to ring and capture a video.  I don't want a phone call and I don't want a voice message.  Just let the doorbell ring.  It's simple, yet Arlo has imposed this ridiculous mode of operation.  To make matters worse, in testing I've done, the beginning part of the announcement typically doesn't get announced (and what is announced is very choppy) so what you hear when you ring the doorbell is "...Please ring the doorbell again.  Thank you."   

Arlo customer support (via chat) confirmed this was normal, but promised to escalate it to a "higher department".  Arlo, please fix this!  

DizzyGillespie
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same issue!  It is incredibly frustrating.  The call into my phone is annoying.  I want it to just ring in my house, not call my phone, and not ask to leave a message (in a very broken up, choppy voice).  I really hope they get it fixed soon!

DizzyGillespie
Initiate
Initiate

My case was also "escalated to a higher department" (after having to provide WAY too much information).  Do we hold out hope that this will ever be fixed?

LexCo61
Guide
Guide

I'm not holding my breath for it to be fixed.  I'd love to be surprised and see it resolved, but in my experience with Arlo they don't seem to take customer issues very seriously, especially if it requires something other than responding with a prescribed set of troubleshooting tasks.

dbg60
Initiate
Initiate

Disabled video call, it never would video connect and I don't want the feature anyway.  Normally no issues with accessing live view or motion detection videos.  Just installed yesterday.  Leave message also junk.  Choppy voice request and message not recorded well.  First impression is hardware ok, software has some functionality but half of it is junk.  So far support via phone call or chat is non-existent.  I turned speaker volume to 0% so leave message request is not heard but then you can't do any other communication either.  Probably will return it.  No wonder on sale.  I liked resolution and 180° camera spec.

jdw1976
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same issue.  There must be a simple fix for this from Arlo.

pinkfloydfr
Guide
Guide

Same problem here, and we are in august, please update this  buggy firmware !! thanks

Truelaw
Initiate
Initiate

I have to say that a lot of things are frustrating. My doorbell connects to Arlo through WiFi and has terrible lag making any communication with someone at the door impossible (more than a 20 second lag from speaking to broadcast) try that some time in a conversation.

I don't want to be called every time someone rings the doorbell (I can hear the doorbell) and lag would prevent me from talking to them anyway. 

Give us the option to turn off the invitation for someone at the door to talk to us if we turn off the phone call. Get a clue, we don't want to be bothered

Dmlodder
Initiate
Initiate
I’m having the same issues. It’s Insane. Who is the product manager responsible for this piece of garbage. I can’t believe how many useless features are crammed in to an underperforming piece of hardware yet the main features you’d expect from a smart doorbell don’t exist or don’t work. I’m going back to Ring.
Truelaw
Initiate
Initiate

No Hack no solution and once you raise this issue you get endless emails requesting you to update your request. It is tech support purgatory. Foreign tech support agents all have the same script for the same problems and it does not include a real solution (there is none, that is the way they set up the system) but instead of acknowledging that they just keep asking you the same questions until you get the idea and give up. But then they keep asking you for updates anyway and the cycle repeats. and repeats and repeats.....

LexCo61
Guide
Guide
What really irritates me is that this would be an easy fix for the engineering team. But the lack of any response by either customer support or Arlo engineering just proves that Arlo doesn’t care.
pinkfloydfr
Guide
Guide

Create a Forum, but no official admin to read it ....

pinkfloydfr
Guide
Guide

My bad, they have some :

ShayneS 

Arlo Moderator

Please, create a ticket for the dev team !!!
Soccerchamp43
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is this for real? Finished setting up my doorbell and ran into this game issue. Either you get a call, or you don’t and the doorbell asks someone to leave a voicemail.

There’s really no way to skip the call AND voicemail prompt? I’m seeing threads about this issue from over 2 years ago, so clearly they aren’t changing. Guess this doorbell is getting returned. Too crazy.
camman21
Tutor
Tutor

I'm also on the verge of returning this. The call feature is worthless. I never wanted it. I just want a doorbell that records visitors for my smart home system, gives me motion events, and rings a chime. While at home, the ringing phone is beyond irritating. As I am walking to answer the door, my phone is blaring. I have to shut it up and answer the door at the same time. I do not want this feature, and turning it off asks them to leave a message like it is a 90s voicemail system! I am WALKING TO THE DOOR. Leave me alone.

On top of this, it is also useless for multiple family members. If I am in meeting, and want this stupid thing to stop calling, I have to disable it, which disables it for everyone at the device level. This is real simple...

Feature request:

1. Add an option to the app to disable calls for device on which it is installed. That's it! Now multiple users can be supported, as well people that have no interest in fighting with a lagged out video call.

I am starting my return ASAP. If this gets fixed, I'll consider a followup purchase.

Nicknacker
Guide
Guide

Yes, just an awful feature, to have Arlo force "leave your message".  I NEVER want someone to do that.  Therefore, I turned it off in the settings but when on silent mode, it does it anyway.  Brilliant.

FEATURE REQUEST: ALLOW CUSTOMERS TO TURN OFF THE VOICEMAIL FEATURE DURING SILENT MODE

The jimmy fix for now (and maybe until I finally return the unit) is to turn the speaker volume to 0.  This obviously won't allow you to talk with people outside, but I rarely want to do that anyway.

Coming from a Ring Doorbell, I was really expecting more from Arlo in the way of customizing things.  I'll keep trying this doorbell but may try out a Eufy.

FakeName
Tutor
Tutor

This: “I'll keep trying this doorbell but may try out a Eufy.”

That’s exactly where I am. I stopped paying Arlo and I’m getting a Eufy for Christmas. I will never buy another Arlo product again.

Nicknacker
Guide
Guide

For those who are frustrated by the forced/limited features of Arlo... last week I bought a Eufy video doorbell.  I mounted it with double stick tape, next to my Arlo, to compare.  I can say unequivocally, Eufy is better.  I sent the Arlo doorbell camera back to Amazon this afternoon.  I can set Eufy to simply notify me (not a phone call!!) and without asking the person to leave a message.  Also, there is more customization that I like with this camera.

The other pretty big deal to me is that the delay is minimal compared to Arlo.  My Arlo doorbell had at least a 2 second delay in video while Eufy was fairly close to real time.  Therefore, with Eufy, for the most part, what you saw on live view is what was really happening in real time (very little delay).  One thing that I do prefer with the Arlo doorbell camera are the looks.  It appears a little sleeker.  However, the functionality of Eufy is clearly better in my one week test having the cameras side by side.  

The only con so far with Eufy is there is a well-known over exposure issue when you first watch a video.  It only lasts a second, but it's there (when you have a blue sky in the background).  There are threads on this issue, and what I've read recently is that there is a firmware fix.  I haven't yet explored that, but the company has attempted to address it and based on other Eufy customers, the fix resolves the issue for the most part.

User_1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did anyone find a solution to the issue? I have Leave a message turned off and it still asks people to press the button again to leave a message and even if you do not press it again to leave a message it records it anyway and send me a notification. I contact support and they wanted me to jump through hoops factory resetting my device. I don't want to spend all freaking day with this.

I wish Amazon had not decided to use Ring devices to share  your wifi (you can disable but I don't trust them) or I would still have it. Arlo has been difficult and horrible to use.

Nicknacker
Guide
Guide

I can't believe support is acting like it's a problem with your device.  It's a known issue with the app.  You can turn the speaker down to 0 - that's the only way not to have the doorbell ask to leave a message.  And if you don't want the doorbell to call you when you the button is pressed, you have to set it to silent.  However, if you do that, then you won't get any notification at all.  This is why I now have a Eufy doorbell.

Arlooos
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue as OP. A horrible thing. Glad, I read the thread and was able to find a work around(turn the volume 0). It would disable the 2 way audio, but I was not planning to use it anyway. I never even used once or tested. I got Arlo doorbell after hearing about it(Arlo commercial camera) from a friend, but would never recommend the doorbell to anyone.

FakeName
Tutor
Tutor

I'm thrilled to say that I threw away my Arlo after a year of problems (including the ones listed on this thread and many others) and upgraded to a Eufy doorbell. It was easier to install, works better, and no monthly fee!

However, I had to file a BBB complaint against Arlo to get them to purge my personal information as they don't provide any way to open a support ticket anymore! Arlo is a disaster.

phlyphish
Tutor
Tutor

I have found a work around for this problem (on Android) that works for me. This solution affectively nullifies the Arlo call when the doorbell rings, and keeps the "Push button again to leave message" from playing, because the app is not set to silent mode.

It requires some technical ability on android and uses Tasker. I used a Tasker profile to turn my phone to "mute" status when the arlo doorbell is pressed. I still receive the Arlo Doorbell call, but, on activation of the call, a Tasker profile mutes my phone, including vibration, for thirty seconds while the arlo call rings. At the point, the Arlo call ends and the Tasker profile resets the phone to normal volumes and virbration. So effectively, the Arlos phone call still comes through, but there's no tactile or sound notification to disturb me. The only issue is if I'm using (looking at) the phone, it does still interrupt the display with the Arlo call, but that's easy to dismiss with a single tap. I could also delay the mute process for a second or two if I wanted a short sound and vibration from the Arlo call for when I'm where I can't hear the actual doorbell. 

I used AudioManager Pro profile shortcuts provided by Tasker to set and reset the volumes within Tasker.

Discussion stats
  • 23 Replies
  • 42 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation