Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell(AVD1001) -- Article ID: 000062414 question (install without a chime)

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
David1011
Follower
Follower

Hi,

In this article (000062414) "Install ...without a chime", the last instruction says:

1. At the end of the installation process, select None as the Traditional Chime option to avoid any damage to your plug-in AC power adapter.

My question  is, how can the AC power adapter (or in my case the AC doorbell transformer) be damaged by the doorbell?

I ask as I have had an issue with the doorbell damaging several transformers.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@David1011 wrote:

My question  is, how can the AC power adapter (or in my case the AC doorbell transformer) be damaged by the doorbell?

When you press an ordinary doorbell, it is a simple switch that closes and completes the circuit to the chime.  The chime is the load on the circuit.   If there is no chime, then pressing the ordinary doorbell will create a short circuit that could potentially damage the transformer or cause the power breaker on main circuit to pop.

The AVD1001 isn't an ordinary doorbell, and is always drawing some power.  I'm not sure if it switches all the power to the chime when the doorbell is pressed (taking advantage of the small internal battery), but there certainly will be a lot more current flowing through the system when the doorbell is pressed.  Setting the chime to NONE will prevent that switching.

Not sure that this explains what's going on with your transformers, but you should be setting the chime to NONE if you don't have a chime.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation