Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Spatman
Guide
Guide
I just purchased and installed a video doorbell and am trying to connect an Arlo Chime via the Arlo app. When I Add New Device and select Chime, it tells me to connect my base station to my router, but I don’t own a base station to connect.

Is there no way to directly pair my chime with the video doorbell without a base station?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Engineering team is working on implementing compatibility between the Arlo Video Doorbell and select Arlo Smart Hubs and base-stations. Stay tuned for more details as we prepare to release more details surrounding this upcoming support in the coming months.

JamesC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Spatman wrote:

Is there no way to directly pair my chime with the video doorbell without a base station?

There is no way to pair the Arlo Chime to the Video Doorbell (with or without a base station)..

Spatman
Guide
Guide
The Arlo Chime works with the audio doorbell but not the video doorbell? That’s quite an oversight in the design.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Spatman wrote:
The Arlo Chime works with the audio doorbell but not the video doorbell? That’s quite an oversight in the design.

Indeed. And the documentation on how the video doorbell works is pathetic. So that is little help.

It does say:

The Arlo Video Doorbell requires a wired doorbell and chime
with voltage between 16V AC and 24V AC, and a 10VA
transformer.

But who knows what that means?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Spatman wrote:

Indeed. And the documentation on how the video doorbell works is pathetic. So that is little help.

It does say:

The Arlo Video Doorbell requires a wired doorbell and chime
with voltage between 16V AC and 24V AC, and a 10VA
transformer.

But who knows what that means?

Well, it means a mechanical or digital chime that works with an ordinary doorbell.  It's not strictly true, since the video doorbell can be set up w/o such a chime if you want to do that.  But you do need the transformer.

Not sure how to word that to make it more clear, other than to add a sentence saying that it won't work with the Arlo Chime.  Though it'd be best if they just added support for the Arlo Chime.  If they were to do that, I think they would require a base station.

vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is Arlo working on the ability for both to sync through a Arlo Hub?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Engineering team is working on implementing compatibility between the Arlo Video Doorbell and select Arlo Smart Hubs and base-stations. Stay tuned for more details as we prepare to release more details surrounding this upcoming support in the coming months.

JamesC

Spatman
Guide
Guide
Being able to pair the video doorbell directly to the Arlo Chime without the need for a base station or hub would be great. Ring already has this feature with their chime.
aasenjo
Initiate
Initiate
Please do provide an update soon.
I bought a video doorbell, chime, and Arlo ultra system only to find that the doorbell can’t talk to the chime or take advantage of the base station!
This seemed like a given based on all the documentation, marketing materials, and competing products. I don’t have a traditional chime at home so now I have a silent doorbell...
I’ll have to return the whole thing soon if I don’t know your plans for better integration.
😞
vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm in the same boat here too!  Think they are sending me another unit to try.  If that doesn't work; its time to return the product as it doesn't function as intended.  Similar to the audio doorbell issues I've had for over a year now - doesn't function as intended.  

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation