Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jorro
Star
Star
When Arlo Video Doorbell button is pressed I hear the chime, my phone rings, I can answer ( talk and hear), But no video is showing - only gray screen with the rolling circle.
By the way it is the same with my Arlo Audio Doorbell and the paired camera.
I can answer, I can talk and hear, But no video is showing - only gray screen with rolling circle (like trying to load something). This has been like that for almost a year now with the Audio Door bell. And now the VideoDoor bell doesn’t show video.
I use iPhone XS Max with the latest updates for OS and App.
Any thoughts?

Any
Best answers
  • BigBenAZ
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

I had this exact same problem. I reinstalled the app and when it asked for permissions I chose "When using the app" and now it works. I have an Android phone, Samsung S21 Ultra 5G. 

98 REPLIES 98
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

vancouver,

Take a look at the following discussion. Are you running any VPN apps on your mobile device? If you try a different mobile device, do you still experience the same behavior?

Answering a doorbell ring with no video or audio.

JamesC

vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James,

I do run a vpn throughout the house network to protect the network.  The Arlo products (hub and connected cameras) have always been connected via that vpn router and they work.

I did try disconnecting the vpn from the apple airport bas station network that we run (we have three of them linked to a express vpn router, which is connected to our Telus main Telus router and you are right, it now shows video when the doorbell is pressed and communication is available.  

I did not see in any setup notes about this issue (ie using a vpn)?  Also, as mentioned above, the Arlo hub and its cameras have always been directly connected to the Apple Airport system which has always been protected by the express vpn router.

So, moving forward....how do I get this video camera to work with my network with the vpn?  I use it as a security feature, and would also like my Arlo network to be protected under that security feature.  

Look forward to response,

Vancouver

Danielito
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue, which then worsened to no notifications at all and when I reset the bell it remained on a solid-amber ring, meaning not enough power. Check your doorbell transformer, or better measure the voltage at the bell with a multimeter, and upgrade if needed to a 16V or 24V.

This solved one issue for me, though still no video on accepting calls. 😡

mobileste
Tutor
Tutor

I had this issue on my iPhone.

Ive managed to fix it by adjusting the privacy settings.

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Arlo > Always

Works a dream now!

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Jorro,  I have the audio door bell with a Ultra camera paired to it.

Mine has the same solid gray screen with spinning wheel.  It will normally answer the video call in about 24 to 30 seconds :(..

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JamesC 

I have the audio door bell and my front yard Ultra camera paired to it.  I also receive the solid gray screen with spinny wheel for about 24-30 seconds until it connects the video.

Set the privacy settings for location to 'always' maybe the fix but that it is not a great fix.

thanks!

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks @mobileste 

I am going to give this a try and report back if it fixes my Arlo audio doorbell paired with my front yard Ultra camera.

Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
I didn't read all the response, so forgive me if someone else suggested this.... I had a similar issue at times when responding to a call on my Samsung S10+. My solution was to replace the 16v 10va transformer with a 24v 40va transformer. Not only has the issue completely disappeared, but now my chime is super loud. I had a feeling it was underpowered when the chime went off. At first I thought I killed the doorbell with the new transformer, but then I just used the reset button on the back of the device and now it's working flawlessly.
windchil
Initiate
Initiate

I just found this on Arlo's kb:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062329/Arlo-Video-Doorbell-FAQ 
"What are the minimum requirements to use an Arlo Video Doorbell?
To install an Arlo Video Doorbell, you must have an existing wired doorbell and chime with electrical wiring to a chime box. The voltage of the doorbell transformer must be between 16-24V AC."

My transformer is 10v which may explain the video not working. Good find! Off to the hardware store to get a new transformer.

Jamesdean1974
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mine transformer is 24V. Still have the problem. Not always but 70% of the time.
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
I actually kind of take that back. It seems to be doing it again. I now think it's an app/software issue. I also now think that it started working after changing the transformer because I had to reset the doorbell after removing it from the app to get it to work again. The app seems to bug out after running for a while and cause issues with camera connections and doorbell video quality on a call. I have the issues with full Wifi bars and a full battery. Sometimes just restarting it will help, but deleting the cache memory works best. I've even had the "The Arlo app keeps closing" error a few times. This is quite irritating... This means that Arlo developers need to get their stuff together and develop functional applications.
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
We don't run one at home - only on unsecure networks. Also, it doesn't matter what device is used to answer the call. I believe it's the app, because things seem to improve for a little while after deleting cache memory until I have issues all over again.
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
I did that a while back. No change.
Tnhjohn
Aspirant
Aspirant
vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello,

So, this is what I know to date with both the video and audio doorbell units:

- They both do not work if you have a VPN router that they are connected to (Graysons or green screen issues);

- They work when 1) audio doorbell connected to Arlo base station directly and no vpn; and, 2) same for video doorbell when connected to house router, they work (video and audio work on both the video doorbell and audio doorbell (with camera connected).

Arlo cannot figure put how to get around the vpn router issue.  Been over a year now and still the have not resolved the issue.  From what I know they are working vpn issue connected to house router; and also vpn options that are now on many phones.

So, I figure it will be some time before they get this resolved.  May want to wait on purchasing any of these units till this is figured out.   

CoreyKellett
Aspirant
Aspirant
Had the same problem with mine answer call on phone video was grey screen with Spinny ball what fix the problem was taking the doorbell cover off holding the sync button and re-syncing the doorbell now it works great. First you have to remove Doorbell from your devices
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
I did that and it worked great for a little while. However, it got worse again.
mobileste
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve fixed the problem by returning all my Arlo cameras and switched to Eufy cameras. The response speed is 100 times quicker than Arlo and the 365 day battery is far superior. The amount of silly little issues that Arlo have is ridiculous for the expense and the customer service is almost none existent. My advise, check the trust pilot website out and compare Arlo to Eufy and you’ll see the results
ARLO_ROCKS
Star
Star

I hear you!  I'm done with them also.  Ran out and bought the doorbell when it was first released only to find out that they released it knowing there are issues.  Also, upgrades have rendered my older IPAD USELESS when it's perfect size for my kitchen counter.  Also, it seems that the cameras have a timed chip inside, as all of a sudden they just stop syncing, keep going offline, or just go dark.  Was a big investment for a product that has been nothing but problems.  

ArloMartian
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the black screen problem when answering the doorbell call, I was able to fix the problem in the phone settings. On my Samsung S10  1) Open the settings  2) Open the Apps  3) Open Arlo App  4) Go to permissions an move Phone form the Denied list to the Allowed list. 5) Go back to App info and turn on Draw over other apps. This has fixed the video on my S10 and my wife's S9 I hope this helps some of you to.

TCfla
Tutor
Tutor
Has there ever been a solution to this problem that works and is permanent?

Notifications/motion alerts come through with a picture Just fine, but no video when doorbell is rung or call answered, only audio.
I have tried everything listed here. I have Hi speed internet, no vpn, all latest firmware and software, 16v/30a transformer, all settings in app and iPhone 8 Plus are correct.
Is it best to return it and purchase an alternate? Really a shame that there is no Real customer support or Solutions offered.
mobileste
Tutor
Tutor

As much as i love the design part of Arlo cameras, the support just isn't there. Theres no support in terms of proctologist's support or customer service support other than obvious answers. Waiting back over two weeks from their email support for them simply saying 'Try switching the cameras off and on again isn't acceptable.

Fortunately i purchased my Arlo cameras through Amazon 10 months ago and they were kind enough to give me  a full refund. Ive since purchased Eufy cameras and im really happy with them

The response time is 1-2 seconds as apposed to nearly a minute with Arlo cameras. The fact that the batteries last a year too is also a major selling point for me.

There customer support is amazing too!

vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice
With no vpn, is interesting. Are you sure no vpn is on on your phones? Many phones can have that option.

Also, Arlo just informed me:

Please be informed that we have found a lot of bandwidth saturation when your doorbells are connected via VPN compared to when you are not connected via VPN.

“We only recommend two things. You can either increase your internet subscription or disconnect from VPN. Being connected to VPN will actually double the stream which in return slows your internet connection.

For other concerns with your Arlo product, please feel free to visit our Support Center at https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx so you can decide through which channel you wish to get in touch with us.“

Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
You haven't tried a 24v transformer it looks like. It might or might not help, but it's cheap and easy if it doesn't.
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
Finally satisfied with the doorbell. I returned it and purchased another AVD. This one seems to be working perfectly. Perhaps there was a bad batch of them or something.... Contact Arlo to get another or return it and buy another.