Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jorro
Star
Star
When Arlo Video Doorbell button is pressed I hear the chime, my phone rings, I can answer ( talk and hear), But no video is showing - only gray screen with the rolling circle.
By the way it is the same with my Arlo Audio Doorbell and the paired camera.
I can answer, I can talk and hear, But no video is showing - only gray screen with rolling circle (like trying to load something). This has been like that for almost a year now with the Audio Door bell. And now the VideoDoor bell doesn’t show video.
I use iPhone XS Max with the latest updates for OS and App.
Any thoughts?

Any
Best answers
  • BigBenAZ
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

I had this exact same problem. I reinstalled the app and when it asked for permissions I chose "When using the app" and now it works. I have an Android phone, Samsung S21 Ultra 5G. 

98 REPLIES 98
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jorro,

Are you able to live stream without any issues using that same device?

JamesC

Jorro
Star
Star
Yes, I can stream live, I can hear, I can talk using the Mic button - all trough the Arlo App. Just do not have a picture when someone presses the button and I answer on my phone.

Again it is the same with the Audio Door bell and the paired Arlo Pro 2 camera - no video when answer on my phone ( has not been working for almost a year).
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jorro,

If this is happening for both, it's likely to be a permissions issue with your iOS device. For video calls to be received, the Arlo mobile app needs to have permissions enabled for these. Check your iOS settings to make sure permissions are enabled for the Arlo Mobile app.

JamesC

Jorro
Star
Star
I am on iOS 13 latest version and I believe I have enabled everything for the Arlo App. Would you help where to look for what to be enabled on my iPhone, so I can see video?
Thank you!
bncmiller
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue with the Arlo Video doorbell. I purchased new, set up and installed. Contacted support and they recommended a hard reset, which I did and same result. We are observing the same exact issue on both my iPhone 8 plus and the wife's iPhone 10. Both phones have the latest iOS 13. I contacted support and they said they escalated the issue and will contact me in 24-48 hours. Did you have any resolution?

bncmiller
Tutor
Tutor

Also I have the newest Xfinity modem and Xfinity wifi pods. I DMZ'd the arlo video doorbell in the router and port forwarded the 80, 443, and 123 ports in the router for the video doorbell. Same results. I'm at a loss. The Xfinity XFI app shows the video doorbell is connected to my office Xfinity pod, 2.4 ghz wifi and has good signal. My download speed is 49 mbps and upload is 29 mbps. I even tried the video settings in the camera and turned them down to 720p. Same result. Ive tried everything. Im at a loss. Waiting to hear from support. 

bncmiller
Tutor
Tutor

I checked my phone and all permissions are enabled. Notifications are enabled and I attempted to disable FaceTime to see if there was any change. More of the same. When the doorbell is pressed, I get a call, I answer it, I can hear audio and talk to the person at the door but the video screen is grey with a circling ring for over a minute, no video. 

Jorro
Star
Star
I called support. They are escalating the issue to upper level support. I have scheduled a call from this upper level support for Tuesday morning.
I hope they are going to be able to resolve it.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bncmiller wrote:

I DMZ'd the arlo video doorbell in the router and port forwarded the 80, 443, and 123 ports in the router for the video doorbell.

I'd undo all of these.  Comcast isn't blocking those ports, and the doorbell doesn't need to be in the DMZ.

Gary-T
Initiate
Initiate
I am having the same issue also. When the button is pressed I get notifications almost instantly and then a gray or a green screen and no video. When I go to a live view in the app it can take a minute or two before I see anything live. I have for Arlo cameras that I am pleased with but I’m not impressed with this doorbell at all. If I can’t find a solution in the next couple days I’m returning it
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gary-T,

This could be due to your mobile device not supporting the resolution in which the video call is made. Try reducing the video quality within your doorbell settings and test again to see if you experience the same behavior.

This can be found under Settings > My Devices > select your Arlo Video Doorbell > Video Settings > Video Resolution.

JamesC

Jorro
Star
Star
It doesn’t work with iPhone XS Max, with iPad Pro and Samsung Galaxy 6.
Why would Arlo make a device that would not be able to work at full capacity with some of the latest and most widely used phones and tablets?

I will try to go down on Video Door Bell resolution, but if this is the issue - all I can say about The newest Arlo Video Doorbell is - Too Bad!

I have an open case about this issue with Arlo technical support. Still no solution. But I was told this was a known issue and they presumably work on it.
Again I still do not have Video from the paired camera to my Audio Door bell and it used to work. On the same iPhone. It hasn’t been working for almost a year now.
What do you have to say about this issue?
Thank you!
Gary-T
Initiate
Initiate
JamesC,

Unfortunately change in the video quality it’s not the solution to this issue. All I succeeded in doing was lowering the video quality.

Gary
G_Frog
Guide
Guide

I bought and installed my Video Doorbell about 1 week ago and have the same issue.  My phone rings as if I was receiving a regular phone call; there is no video when I answer.  I use a Samsung Galaxy 10+. 

Fertigulator
Star
Star
Same issue here. Just got it setup and running. Not receiving video with the call, just a grey screen. Also, when armed the doorbell is not recording video when I receive notifications when armed. I can only use the doorbell via a live view. It does record video when the button is pressed but that is the only thing that is working right now. Do I have a setting wrong?
Jorro
Star
Star
The door bell does not work as it should. I hope the company is working on the problem, but I already described my very similar problem with my Audio Door bell and paired Arlo pro 2 camera, which has not been resolved for a year now.
So, I don’t know what to think.
vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just purchased one of these video doorbells because of grey feed issues with previous audio doorbell model has been going on for over a year (support case still in works, on third replacement); Installed today and same issue - grey or green screen, but can hear everything, and live feed works fine. Checked app and all is fine, updates done, all items active. Checked arlo app settings on ios phone and same - all on and working. Dont think Arlo should have released this so quickly.
Meconium
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  

Jorro
Star
Star
I have an open ticket with Arlo technical support. They should be working on resolving the issue. But I have not heard anything from them since probably mid-December. Also the very same issue with the paired to their Audio doorbell Pro 2 camera have not been resolved for over a year now. So, I don’t know. Seems like not totally finished product with some issues.
vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jarro,  Funny thing is that last year when I purchased the previous version "audio doorbell" just before Christmas, I too had the same issue (grey screen feed) that to this day still has not been resolved and they are currently sending me out another replacement.  Way past the time line that I can return the product back to the store.  I would be careful about the purchase timelines from the retail store.  May be worth returning product until they get this resolved with the video doorbell.  Any indication from the audio doorbell issue timelines could be used to give you an idea as to how long it is taking to resolve the issue just for the audio doorbell.  With the video doorbell doing the same thing for me now too; I'm hesitant to keep this thing, and likely best to return to retailer for full refund and wait till Arlo finally resolves this, or go with another brand.    

Jamesdean1974
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have the same issue.
When I answer the call, I get connection right away only no screen ( grey ) . Can you please solve this? Is there a workaround at the moment ?
Jamesdean1974
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just extra info: I have iPhone 11 Pro Max.
ARLO_ROCKS
Star
Star

Added Video Doorbell to my existing 4 camera setup.  All seemed to work fine, except for the grey square that blocks the person!  I bought the doorbell when it was released about a week before Black Friday.  I called tech support immediately and they said they "were aware of the issue!"  Why release a product that is not working?  I did lower the resolution and it does help, however, the video quality of the view is also compromised.  I will likely be returning the device since it's been over a month now and they have not fixed the issue.  Additionally, if you are using an older IOS device (my IPAD will not update past 10.3) you cannot view the doorbell in the library as it gives an error "Cannot Decode."   Even as you're scrolling through you library, the error comes up whenever it passes doorbell's recordings....so basically your library is contaminated with time-consuming closings of this error.  Sigh....I really wanted to integrate this into my system, but ARLO fails on resolving issues.  They fix one, and then another breaks.  I tried my doorbell remotely even with resolution reduced to 1080 and it still shows grey box or fails to connect in time to actually converse.  The only time it works somewhat is when I'm home, which is only part of the reason I purchased it.

vancouver
Apprentice
Apprentice

So.....Same thing happening here as well.

History - Purchased an audio doorbell just before Christmas last year and have been dealing with the same issue w that item (grey screen).  Just received another (third replacement) unit to deal with that but have not tried the audio doorbell.  Moving forward to December 2019; purchased the video doorbell, and.....same thing (grey screen feed when doorbell answered).  They just shipped a replacement out and I installed it today.  And......grey screen only.  Same as before:  I can hear sound, but only a grey screen feed is visible.  

So you know:  firmware was updated during process;

Bell test works;

Doorbell rings and phone can answer.  

As my process with the "audio doorbell" still continues, I thought that I would just give up with that thing and take my losses (ain't cheap for that doorbell) on a "poor quality-does-not-function as intended released-way-too-early product"; and, try the video doorbell to see if they actually improved on the main issue that Arlo has with the audio doorbell (grey screen feed).  Here we are w a grey screen feed on my replacement video doorbell.  Time to return Arlo product.  Sad that they can sell this stuff with what is claimed, and does not function as claimed.  Would not recommend this to anyone.  Save your money and look for alternative manufacturer.