Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Essential Doorbell Times Out

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
trentrockport
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just added an Essential (Video) Doorbell to my system that has four Ultra 2 cameras and a VMB5000 base station. When I try to connect to it through the application, either in Windows or on my iPhone, I get a message "The request timed out" with an Okay button. The four cameras still work fine. The doorbell reports that it's connected to the base station same as the cameras. When I do get a picture from the doorbell's camera, it's either 100% gray or I just see the first few rows of pixels with the rest distorted.

How to correct this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I see a high RSSi value for your doorbell. This is caused by a few factors, but being further away from your base station and multiple walls etc this can affect the range and streaming capabilities. If you can move your base station a little bit closer you should hopefully see an improvement. 

You can also try connecting directly you your wifi (https://kb.arlo.com/000062514/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-device-directly-to-a-WiFi-router) router to see if that helps.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
trentrockport
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE (apparently we can't edit our posts...)

If I reduce video quality to 720x720 it works. I'd much rather use this at the resolution I paid for.

trentrockport
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE to UPDATE (apparently we can't delete posts either)

If I reduce the video quality to 720x720 it works SOMETIMES.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Does the same occur on wifi and mobile data? Do you experience the same issue over the web portal on a pc? 

trentrockport
Aspirant
Aspirant

The same thing happens WiFi/Mobile and on the Web portal. Worth mentioning: this is a fairly large house with a 42' x 58' footprint.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I see a high RSSi value for your doorbell. This is caused by a few factors, but being further away from your base station and multiple walls etc this can affect the range and streaming capabilities. If you can move your base station a little bit closer you should hopefully see an improvement. 

You can also try connecting directly you your wifi (https://kb.arlo.com/000062514/How-do-I-connect-my-Arlo-device-directly-to-a-WiFi-router) router to see if that helps.  

trentrockport
Aspirant
Aspirant

Moving the doorbell from the Base Station to my WiFi appears to have fixed that problem. Thank you

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Perfect, let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks for the update

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation