Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo Essential Wired Video Doorbell dead after an hour

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AnnoyedElectric
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there, I just purchased the AVD wired and installed it. Worked and responded well for a few hours then went unresponsive. No lights, no sounds, no nothing. 16v 30va measured at doorbell and tried a factory reset. Still nothing. Any ideas on how to fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AnnoyedElectric
Aspirant
Aspirant

After close inspection it seems I have connected the power kit to Transformer and Rear instead of Transformer and Front. Switched it and got the Ring Doorbell and it worked amazingly. Even the setup process was way better and Ring had way better user U.I. The Ring has been working great.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the voltage is still good at the doorbell, remove it from your account and reset the doorbell as per the link below. Note that the internal battery must be reasonably charged for this to work. It's possible that the transformer has an issue and isn't charging the battery so replacing it may be needed.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062346/How-do-I-reset-my-Arlo-Essential-Video-Doorbell

AnnoyedElectric
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah it seems like the internal battery is discharged. It is currently connected to my doorbell system that has the chime and it is equipped with a power kit with the switch on “O”. Could switching it to bypass mode possibly allow more energy to pass through and charge the device? Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That I can't say since I don't have a similar setup. @StephenB ?

AnnoyedElectric
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just switched the power kit to “X” so chime is bypassed. Checked with multimeter at doorbell and now receiving 18 volts. Still no lights…how long do you say it should take for the internal battery to charge?

AnnoyedElectric
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s been about 2 hours since bypassing it. Still no lights. Should I leave it overnight? If this doesn't work I’ll just get a Ring doorbell.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AnnoyedElectric wrote:

It’s been about 2 hours since bypassing it. Still no lights. Should I leave it overnight? If this doesn't work I’ll just get a Ring doorbell.

I suggest exchanging the doorbell with the seller (personally I'd replace it with another Arlo doorbell, but of course that is up to you).

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The internal battery should charge reasonably quickly - certainly enough to allow the doorbell to work after maybe 15-30 minutes. You may just have a faulty doorbell - swap at the store or use Settings, Support (Center) to choose the doorbell and start talking to official support.

AnnoyedElectric
Aspirant
Aspirant

After close inspection it seems I have connected the power kit to Transformer and Rear instead of Transformer and Front. Switched it and got the Ring Doorbell and it worked amazingly. Even the setup process was way better and Ring had way better user U.I. The Ring has been working great.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation