Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell versus security cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
theonedannelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a video doorbell, a Pro 3 Floodlight, and a Pro 3 camera, all running off of a smart hub. I also have a subscription to the Arlo Smart service. 

I am trying to set up my system so that the doorbell is on all the time and the other two cameras are on from 9pm until 7am. I would think this should be a simple thing to set up but it has proven to be very challenging.

Any advice is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

theonedannelson,

It might help to take a look a this KB article: How do I create custom modes when my cameras are connected to a SmartHub or base station?

In the scenario you described in your original post, you need a custom mode and the schedule.

Create your custom mode so that it contains rules only for your doorbell to detect motion.

Now use the schedule to set up the default "Armed" mode for 9pm-7am each day, this will allow all cameras (including the doorbell) to be Armed at that time.

Now for every other time slot, use the custom mode, this will allow the doorbell to be Armed 24/7 and the other devices to be disarmed outside the 9pm-7am slots.

JamesC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

First you create a custom mode that arms the 2 cameras (but not the doorbell).  Call it Cameras (for example).

Then you edit the "Schedule" mode.  You need to create two entries for "Armed" - one from 9 pm to 11:59 pm, and another from 12:00 am to 7 am.  Then add a third entry for "Cameras" between 7 am and 9 pm.

Then just set the base station to use the schedule mode.

theonedannelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen - this makes sense for the camera but how does this keep the doorbell on all of the time? It seems like this would completely exclude the doorbell?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@theonedannelson wrote:

Thanks Stephen - this makes sense for the camera but how does this keep the doorbell on all of the time? It seems like this would completely exclude the doorbell?

Sorry, I got the use case backwards.

So instead, create a custom mode called "Doorbell" that only includes the doorbell.

theonedannelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

I appreciate the feedback. I still don't see how this works for my situation. I want one set of rules (doorbell) on all the time and another set (floodlight and camera) on only at night. I don't see a way to have two different types of rules.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

theonedannelson,

It might help to take a look a this KB article: How do I create custom modes when my cameras are connected to a SmartHub or base station?

In the scenario you described in your original post, you need a custom mode and the schedule.

Create your custom mode so that it contains rules only for your doorbell to detect motion.

Now use the schedule to set up the default "Armed" mode for 9pm-7am each day, this will allow all cameras (including the doorbell) to be Armed at that time.

Now for every other time slot, use the custom mode, this will allow the doorbell to be Armed 24/7 and the other devices to be disarmed outside the 9pm-7am slots.

JamesC

theonedannelson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks James -  this worked perfect.

I created a custom mode - "Doorbell" 

Then I set the system to "Scheduled" and set everything as active for the night time and only the "Doorbell" as active during the rest of the times. 

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback

Dan   

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation