Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Doorbell not recording or sending notifications any more

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Tedly
Tutor
Tutor

I installed a new wired doorbell this past weekend, and started the free trial. For a day all of the motions and interactions were recorded and showed up in my Feed, and we managed the filters to reduce the total number of notifications we were getting on our phones. Everything seemed fine and I was happy with the new toy. On Sunday night i got one last recording in my feed of a bat flying around our front porch, but since then nothing has been recorded, and I get no notifications at all. Nothing was changed in the app or on our phones, but recording just stopped. The live feed does work, and I do get a phone call if someone rings the doorbell, so I know the device is connected to our Wifi and working. Even the doorbell rings are not recorded. Now it is Wednesday, and even the recordings from a couple days ago have disappeared from my feed. I've looked through all of the Arlo device settings, iOs notification settings, and this forum but haven't found a solution. Why has recording and notification stopped working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tedly
Tutor
Tutor

I have managed to resume recording and notifications, so I thought I should post a reply to close this thread. I did finally manage to get to the "Modes" setup section of the app and activate recordings. I have no clue how or why it was ever turned off in the first place, especially since that is the default setting for the Home and Away modes. Recordings worked fine when I first installed the doorbell, and suddenly stopped in the middle of the night. The last video recorded with the initial settings was at 2 AM, when everyone was asleep and not fiddling with doorbell settings.

Much of the root cause of my problems have been navigating the app, especially when following the Troubleshooting guides and online help. The guidance seems to have been written for a previous version of the app and none of the settings have been found where they are described. I don't think I am getting so old that I start to struggle with technology, but when the guide tells me to open the Dashboard and select Modes, I expect to see something like that on my screen. However, on my version of the app, the Modes setup is found a couple taps deep in the Routines menu (specifically not the Dashboard), which was not mentioned in any of the literature or chatbot help. The device settings are also not right on the front page of the app as I was led to believe, but instead I have to go to Devices, tap the three little dots icon, then tap the little gear icon in the corner of the banner shaking back and forth. The amount of tapping is not the problem, it's the mismatch between the help documentation and what I actually see on my screen. If the app interface has been changed, then the documentation telling you how to navigate it should be up to date with the latest version. It would have saved me a lot of confusion. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tedly
Tutor
Tutor

In my Settings it does say that I have "No Plan" subscribed, but when I click on that the free trial does appear to be active. Are there limitations on recording and notifications with the free trial?

Tedly_1-1688577651795.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tedly wrote:

Are there limitations on recording and notifications with the free trial?

No.  You might want to try phone support (using the support area in the app).

Tedly
Tutor
Tutor

I have managed to resume recording and notifications, so I thought I should post a reply to close this thread. I did finally manage to get to the "Modes" setup section of the app and activate recordings. I have no clue how or why it was ever turned off in the first place, especially since that is the default setting for the Home and Away modes. Recordings worked fine when I first installed the doorbell, and suddenly stopped in the middle of the night. The last video recorded with the initial settings was at 2 AM, when everyone was asleep and not fiddling with doorbell settings.

Much of the root cause of my problems have been navigating the app, especially when following the Troubleshooting guides and online help. The guidance seems to have been written for a previous version of the app and none of the settings have been found where they are described. I don't think I am getting so old that I start to struggle with technology, but when the guide tells me to open the Dashboard and select Modes, I expect to see something like that on my screen. However, on my version of the app, the Modes setup is found a couple taps deep in the Routines menu (specifically not the Dashboard), which was not mentioned in any of the literature or chatbot help. The device settings are also not right on the front page of the app as I was led to believe, but instead I have to go to Devices, tap the three little dots icon, then tap the little gear icon in the corner of the banner shaking back and forth. The amount of tapping is not the problem, it's the mismatch between the help documentation and what I actually see on my screen. If the app interface has been changed, then the documentation telling you how to navigate it should be up to date with the latest version. It would have saved me a lot of confusion. 

GKCamp
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you, I was experiencing the same problem.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation