Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Diana6515
Guide
Guide

I have a free subscription, but already have 5 cameras (which I understand is the max for the free service). If I got the video doorbell would that count?

38 REPLIES 38
TXArloUser
Tutor
Tutor

There is a difference between a new Arlo customer and someone who already owns an Alro system. The new people will be more likely to read a lot of reviews to help them come to a decision. A current owner, like myself, made the decision to go with Arlo months ago. And being fairly happy with that decision decided to expand that system with the video doorbell that was NOT AVAILABLE at the time of the original purchase. It is reasonable to assume that adding another camera to the system would be the same experience as adding the previous cameras. Therefore, there needs to be a clear statement that the doorbell falls under different rules and requires a mandatory subscription to store video clips.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TXArloUser wrote:

Therefore, there needs to be a clear statement that the doorbell falls under different rules and requires a mandatory subscription to store video clips.

Where would you expect to see that? 

FWIW, the need for a paid subscription for cloud recording is printed on two sides of the box - one of those messages also notes that the needed subscription isn't available in all countries.  That text likely should be larger - but it is there.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

This is just a lesson in that we should never assume and always do proper research when we get it. I have had the Video Doorbell from early January. From day one I knew a subscription was needed. Ofcourse I knew about the changes with the plans related to the Pro 3 and Ultra so i looked it up. Assumptions often get us in trouble

Rosa99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you please provide an update if any headway has been made in regards to the compatibility between the Arlo Video Doorbell and select Arlo Smart Hubs and base-stations (especially legacy clients that currently have the free 7 day cloud recording). Thanks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rosa99,

Arlo Video Doorbell can now be synced to a Base Station or SmartHub, for more information, see here: How do I connect my Arlo Video Doorbell to an Arlo SmartHub or base station?

It is important to note however that by syncing an Arlo Video Doorbell to a Base Station or SmartHub, this does not enable cloud recording. Arlo Video Doorbell requires an Arlo Smart subscription to save recordings to the cloud. When synced to a Base Station or SmartHub, local storage can be enabled, allowing recordings to be saved locally to a storage device, but cloud recordings will still require a subscription.

JamesC

Jlasley
Initiate
Initiate
Y'all are scam artist. What's the point of it not being able to record.
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
You may be surprised to find this is actually common practice with video doorbell devices. Arlo's 7 day cloud recording is an exception to most cameras that are cloud dependent. That is largely why arlo cameras are so popular. You can still record and get notifications though if you link it to a smarthub. You just won't get package notifications or any other jind of AI based smart notifications that reduce false positives
Jlasley
Initiate
Initiate
I am linked to a smart hub. It doesn't record anymore after their trial of the subscription service expired
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
Do you have local recording turned on on the hub and a usb stick or drive attached to it.
Jeff_L
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree with very disappointing.   I expected the same 7 day storage.  The box says nothing about a subscription required.  I only found this out now after having it installed.  Great device but we will take it back next week.

I also tried to connect it to my Arlo hub and that feature would not work.  When I went to wifi it hooked right up.

Lowprofile110
Tutor
Tutor

I have local storage enabled and two usb sticks inserted.  Rules are set for it to record on motion.  No recordings.  I get the alerts but no recordings.  Please help!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lowprofile110,

Check the following article to be sure you have local storage correctly set up: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

JamesC

JMS11
Tutor
Tutor

Just to be clear, does the Arlo doorbell count as a camera device? I have 5 cameras hooked up to me base station and am fine with the 7 day recording. I would love to add the Arlo doorbell as well, but do not want to mess up the good setup I have. Is the Arlo doorbell a bonus that will also record for the7 days, or will it eliminate one of my other cameras?

Thanks

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JMS11,

Yes. Arlo Video Doorbell counts as a camera for the purposes of device limits on your account or Arlo Smart subscription.

Arlo Video Doorbell comes with a 3 month trail plan for Alro Smart, allowing cloud storage. After the trial expiration, you will need to purchase an Arlo Smart plan to continue enjoying the benefits of Arlo Smart and cloud storage for the doorbell.

JamesC