Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Pro-666
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'd like more clarification on Direct Storage Access when using an Arlo Video Doorbell.

1)  When recording locally, what's the performance difference in the app regarding alerts and notifications when compared to recording to the "cloud"? Is there any delay or lag of video to the app while initially communicating to someone via video & audio while recording in the "cloud" vs local storage?

2) When viewing live video in the app, does the "cloud" and/or local recording transcode the video down in resolution to the app? If so, does local recording transcode happen at the base station/smart hub?

3)  This page states you can port forward in your router to access the local storage. So you can use the app to access previously missed motion or button press recordings that were stored on direct storage? Everything will show in the app Library?

4)  When recording locally, I've read all recordings only go to the base station/smart hub and never wander outside to Arlo's servers for protection of privacy. Is this true for a button activated live video feed recording from the Doorbell while communicating to someone at the front door? So my app would be directly connected to the base station/smart hub for audio/video communications? Is router port forwarding required for this?

5)  Are you now able to delete and cleanup local recordings through the app without physically removing the storage device to delete elsewhere?

6)  How long are locally recorded videos stored? Forever? 30 days? Until space is needed? Can a time frame be set to cleanup and remove old recordings?

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pro-666 wrote:

I'd like more clarification on Direct Storage Access when using an Arlo Video Doorbell.

1)  When recording locally, what's the performance difference in the app regarding alerts and notifications when compared to recording to the "cloud"? Is there any delay or lag of video to the app while initially communicating to someone via video & audio while recording in the "cloud" vs local storage?

I would say that there's little difference, assuming a decent upload speed from the ISP. The video has to be completed before viewing so I wouldn't expect a huge difference - the videos generally aren't that large. Push notifications would be the same since those are based on server access.

2) When viewing live video in the app, does the "cloud" and/or local recording transcode the video down in resolution to the app? If so, does local recording transcode happen at the base station/smart hub?

Live view has nothing to do with local recording. No real idea about any transcoding - I'd suspect it would be in the app but can't prove that.

3)  This page states you can port forward in your router to access the local storage. So you can use the app to access previously missed motion or button press recordings that were stored on direct storage? Everything will show in the app Library?

The local storage is the same as cloud with the exception of manual recordings while live viewing which aren't locally recorded. Remember that local recording is 1) a backup for cloud recordings, especially if Internet access has dropped for any reason and 2) it's useful if you don't have a subscription (every camera newer than a Pro 2 requires a sub for cloud recording).

4)  When recording locally, I've read all recordings only go to the base station/smart hub and never wander outside to Arlo's servers for protection of privacy. Is this true for a button activated live video feed recording from the Doorbell while communicating to someone at the front door? So my app would be directly connected to the base station/smart hub for audio/video communications? Is router port forwarding required for this?

Port forwarding isn't required for anything other than viewing local storage when away from home. That means the servers have to be accessed. That's how you get access/calls when away from home since it's not using the local network.

5)  Are you now able to delete and cleanup local recordings through the app without physically removing the storage device to delete elsewhere?

Not at this time.

6)  How long are locally recorded videos stored? Forever? 30 days? Until space is needed? Can a time frame be set to cleanup and remove old recordings?

Forever depending on your settings for local storage. That would either fill the drive and no more could be stored or, if set to remove the oldest videos as storage depletes, there would essentially be a rotating off of the oldest videos. Time/date has no bearing.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:
No real idea about any transcoding - I'd suspect it would be in the app but can't prove that.

The app doesn't transcode (what would be the point?).   It would rescale the decoded image to fit the screen.

Pro-666
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for the answers. Regarding #1) answer, what happens when someone rings the doorbell and you eventually answer the call 10 seconds later. I'd assume the video would be recorded to the local storage which you can't view until it's done recording, but where's the video coming from that's going to the app which is allowing you to communicate to the other person? Is it coming directly from the camera and/or smart hub to the app, or is it bouncing to the Arlo web server first then to the app?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't know the answer to this. I would suspect it's direct connection but someone else will have to verify that.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:
No real idea about any transcoding - I'd suspect it would be in the app but can't prove that.

The app doesn't transcode (what would be the point?).   It would rescale the decoded image to fit the screen.

Yeah, that's what I meant. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pro-666 wrote:

Thank you for the answers. Regarding #1) answer, what happens when someone rings the doorbell and you eventually answer the call 10 seconds later. I'd assume the video would be recorded to the local storage which you can't view until it's done recording

Recordings are triggered in the mode/rule for the doorbell.  Someone pressing the doorbell should of course trigger the motion detection (unless the camera is disarmed or the activity zones+motion sensitivity is mis-set). 

Real time communication when someone presses the doorbell is a different feature.

@Pro-666 wrote:

Is it coming directly from the camera and/or smart hub to the app, or is it bouncing to the Arlo web server first then to the app?

I suspect it isn't direct.  It's coming in as a video call, not as a stream.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation