Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connecting to T-Mobile Home Internet with Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired Model: AVD1001-100NAS

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Lowflyinggoose
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible to connect the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired Model: AVD1001-100NAS using T-Mobile Home Internet? I've setup a dedicated 2.4 GHz network using WPA2 security. I have a full Wi-Fi connection on my phone by the doorbell, but I can't get the doorbell connected to my network.

Using the reset button method, the doorbell will not read the QR code. Setting the doorbell up from scratch and holding the ring button, the QR code will scan but the doorbell cannot be found.

I think I've tried everything I could find in the troubleshooting tips, including enlarging the QR code, disabling VPN, and turning off cell service.

Lastly, all my other Arlo cameras have connected without issue.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lowflyinggoose
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to get connected. I’ll share what I did in case it helps someone in the future.

The T-Mobile Internet router has the following settings:

Frequency band – 1) Automatic, 2) 2.4 GHz, 3) 5 GHz

WPA Version: 1) WPA/WPA2, 2) WPA2, 3) WPA2/WPA3

WPA Encryption mode: 1) TKIP & AES, 2) AES

The only configuration that works is 2.4 GHz frequency, WPA/WPA2 security, and TKIP & AES encryption.

When connected to that network on my phone, it is flagged as “weak security”. I’m not thrilled that the doorbell has weak security, but none of the other options worked.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lowflyinggoose wrote:

Is it possible to connect the Arlo Essential Video Doorbell Wired Model: AVD1001-100NAS using T-Mobile Home Internet? I've setup a dedicated 2.4 GHz network using WPA2 security. I have a full Wi-Fi connection on my phone by the doorbell, but I can't get the doorbell connected to my network.

I did try this a while back (with success), but my doorbell is connected to a VMB5000 base.

If the doorbell doesn't chime when you present the QR code, then the issue is that it isn't able to scan it.  Fiddling with the angle can help with that.  You can also generate a code using https://qifi.org/ and print it.

If the network name or password has punctuation in it, then try removing that.  There are some characters that don't work, and unfortunately Arlo has never said which ones.  Also, they haven't said if these characters are the same for all cameras or not.

Lowflyinggoose
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply and great suggestion about punctuation in the network name and password. I renamed the network name and password to letters only (removing a dash and some periods). Unfortunately, I still cannot connect the doorbell to the network. I was able to read the QR code (heard the chime), but after a few minutes of "looking for Arlo video doorbell", no doorbells could be found.

I have been able to connect my other cameras, which are the Arlo Pro 4 spotlight cameras and Arlo-Q indoor cameras.

Is it possible that the doorbell can't connect to the T-Mobile Home Internet network without using a base?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lowflyinggoose wrote:

Is it possible that the doorbell can't connect to the T-Mobile Home Internet network without using a base?

I didn't test that, but it should be able to connect to the wifi ok. 

Did you disable cellular data on the phone, and make sure it was connected to the correct wifi network? 

Lowflyinggoose
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was able to get connected. I’ll share what I did in case it helps someone in the future.

The T-Mobile Internet router has the following settings:

Frequency band – 1) Automatic, 2) 2.4 GHz, 3) 5 GHz

WPA Version: 1) WPA/WPA2, 2) WPA2, 3) WPA2/WPA3

WPA Encryption mode: 1) TKIP & AES, 2) AES

The only configuration that works is 2.4 GHz frequency, WPA/WPA2 security, and TKIP & AES encryption.

When connected to that network on my phone, it is flagged as “weak security”. I’m not thrilled that the doorbell has weak security, but none of the other options worked.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Lowflyinggoose wrote:

It definitely uses 2.4 gHZ and WPA2.  But it doesn't need TKIP - just AES.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation