Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 88 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
hevaK
Star
Star

I recently reset this doorbell and re-activated it through my VMB5000r5 base station to enable homekit features.  I turned off the call setting in the Arlo app (so I could try using Homekit instead) and about half the time when I try ringing the doorbell and answering from the Home app prompt, the Arlo doorbell prompts to press the button again to leave a voice message.  How do I disable this completely?

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

If you are still experiencing the issue, there has a been a recent update that should have resolved this issue, can you reboot your video doorbell/make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app and test again. 

Thanks 

88 REPLIES 88
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@jdonnell

Please check you PM's

hevaK
Star
Star

@ShayneS what about me?  I'm wondering what to do next.  I tried everything you'd suggested, and even with the latest software we still run into this issue.

phlyphish
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, if I silence the phone call, the doorbell plays the "leave a message" message, even though the 'Leave your message' slider is off.

This has been complained about several times in several online Arlo forums. Are you seriously not aware of this issue?

And what, you're following up to see if it just magically got fixed somehow? 

The software control for 'Leave your message' doesn't work when you silence the phone call in the Silent Mode settings.
phlyphish
Tutor
Tutor

Response to question from @ShayneS (Are you still experiencing this issue without using your workaround? )

Yes, if I silence the phone call, the doorbell plays the "leave a message" message, even though the 'Leave your message' slider is off.

This has been complained about several times in several online Arlo forums. Are you seriously not aware of this issue?

And what, you're following up to see if it just magically got fixed somehow? 

The software control for 'Leave your message' doesn't work when you silence the phone call in the Silent Mode settings.
KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS 

For what it's worth the doorbell mechanical chime has quit again (it worked on Saturday) so the only way I know if someone is at the door is about 15 seconds later when I get a push notification that someone has left a non-existent voice message.
Of course, if it's like in the past the chime will start working again (although there will still be a push notification of the non-existent message)...it's just a matter of when 🤔

Paul

phlyphish
Tutor
Tutor

@KachinaShadow 

Just a thought... have you verified that your doorbell transformer is correctly sized for the Arlo Doorbell? My 37 year old house had 10V, 5VA transformer, which was not powerful enough to power the mechanical chime and the new Arlo doorbell (Arlo requires a 16-24 volt, 10va transformer). When I first installed the Arlo doorbell, the chime worked if I disconnected the power adapter at the chime, but only for a day or so. Sort of what it sounds like you're experiencing. I figured out that the mechanical chime would work until the battery inside the doorbell went dead. Then it wouldn't work until I let the doorbell battery recharge again. There's no indication from Arlo that there's a battery in the doorbell but there is. 

This may be a long shot, but just wondering if maybe your issue is related and that your transformer isn't powerful enough to keep the battery charged and that's why it quits working every day or two.

Since Arlo requires a 16-24 volt, 10va transformer. I bought one from Amazon for about $12, replaced mine, and the mechanical chime has worked fine ever since.

Even after all my questions in this forum and hours online with a support rep, never once was it mentioned that I maybe needed a more powerful doorbell transformer.

BTW, the doorbell transformer is a separate component for the mechanical chime. Sometimes it's in the wall in an electrical box behind the chime, sometimes not. My chime is on the main floor, but the transformer was inside my breaker box in the basement (I had to remove the breaker box cover to find it).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@phlyphish wrote:

BTW, the doorbell transformer is a separate component for the mechanical chime. Sometimes it's in the wall in an electrical box behind the chime, sometimes not. My chime is on the main floor, but the transformer was inside my breaker box in the basement (I had to remove the breaker box cover to find it).

Note there are some chimes that have an integrated transformer.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@phlyphish 

Good thought and I have checked it numerous times (just checked it again) and it's a steady 17.98 volts.

I would have hoped that it was a low voltage issue since that would be an easy fix to make the mechanical chime to work but then there would still be the "voice message" issue which, even when the chime is working, causes the video to stop as soon as someone presses the doorbell button along with sending the push notification about a message that doesn't exist.

This is all very frustrating as it worked without issues for well over a year and this just started out of the blue.

Probably won't make a difference but today I'm going to reinstall directly to Wi-Fi instead of going through the base...probably won't help but it's worth a try.

I'll post an update after doing so.

Paul

phlyphish
Tutor
Tutor

@KachinaShadow 

Yeah, on my original install, I checked the voltage at the doorbell itself and it was 16.3 volts (which should have been enough), but the transformer also has a separate VA (VoltAmp) rating, which I think translates to wattage (i'm no expert). My original transformer had enough voltage but not enough VA. The voltage and VA rating are both stamped on the transformer itself, thus the reason I went looking for my transformer and ended up replacing it. 

As @StephenB mentioned, some newer model chimes have an integrated transformer. And if you do some research on YouTube, people have found their transformer in some rather unusual places in the house.

Good luck.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@phlyphish 

Another good thought...although I forgot to mention that I can jump across the wires (at the Arlo Video Doorbell) and the mechanical chime rings every time.

Fortunately if I ever need to replace the transformer it's mounted right on an electrical outlet box inside of the garage...easy to get at.

But thanks again...keep those thoughts coming...can't have too many ideas to throw at this.

You still having the voice message issues?

Paul

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS 

FYI...

I just uninstalled the video doorbell from the base and reinstalled it via Wi-Fi and here's the results...

Mechanical chime still does not work...although in the past it has come and gone for no more than a day and now this is day two and I'm hoping it comes back (don't know if you saw earlier that the mechanical chime works fine by jumping across the wires).

Still have the leave message/push notifications issue but here's the interesting thing...with the doorbell connected through the base the video recording stops AS SOON as the doorbell button is pressed but when connected through the Wi-Fi there is a 3-4 SECOND lag time until it stops recording.

The doorbell camera has always been set to record until activity stops and the above results were with that setting so I went ahead and set it to record for 40 seconds, which it will unless sometime in that 40 seconds the button is pressed, at which time it stops recording within 3-4 seconds.

I was able to live with the leave message/push notifications issue when the doorbell chime at least worked but now that the chime has failed,  the only way to know if someone is at the door is when the voice message push notification comes through (with an up to 15 second delay) so I usually catch the person walking away.

Someone's got to fix this soon and by the way were you ever able to retrieve my log files for the developers? I can send them again if that would help.

Paul

phlyphish
Tutor
Tutor

@KachinaShadow 

Yes, I'm still having the voice message issue. Basically, if the doorbell is set to silent, the Leave your message button is ignored by the software.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@phlyphish 

"Basically, if the doorbell is set to silent, the Leave your message button is ignored by the software"

With mine set to silent (or not) and the "Leave your message" slider off, I still have the leave your message issue which I have at least been able to silence at the doorbell by going to "Audio Settings" turning the speaker on (even with it off the doorbell still plays the "press button to leave message") then setting the Speaker Volume to zero and turning the speaker off...of course I still get the push notification about a non-existent message even though the "Leave your message" slider is off and the button was never pressed a second time.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS 

In the previous post about connecting the doorbell directly to Wi-Fi, I had mentioned to you that the mechanical chime still wasn't working...that was my fault as when setting it up I had forgot to set the chime slider to on in the "Silent Mode". That said...when it was previously connected through the base, and the chime slider on, the chime would just quit working at random so, for now, it looks like the chime issue is fixed.

Now the only issue I have is what I mentioned in the post just before this one...

"With mine set to silent (or not) and the "Leave your message" slider off, I still have the leave your message issue which I have at least been able to silence at the doorbell by going to "Audio Settings" turning the speaker on (even with it off the doorbell still plays the "press button to leave message") then setting the Speaker Volume to zero and turning the speaker off...of course I still get the push notification about a non-existent message even though the "Leave your message" slider is off and the button was never pressed a second time."

Paul

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There has been an update that should resolve this issue with the leave a message feature. Can you test this issue again.

EricThi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where has this update been deployed? In my android app the "Leave a message " under call settings is enabled and grayed out so I can't turn it off anymore at all
hevaK
Star
Star

It's still not working.  Instead of a half-cut-off "leave a message" message, it now plays the full "to leave a message please press the doorbell again" message at full volume.  I've confirmed the "leave a message" option is off in the doorbell's call settings.  How it is to difficult to just turn this off?

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS 
Everything seems to be OK now but I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if anything changes
Thanks,

Paul

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

If you are still experiencing the issue, there has a been a recent update that should have resolved this issue, can you reboot your video doorbell/make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app and test again. 

Thanks 

EricThi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the update. I have no firmware updates waiting on any devices and the Google play store app version is still from March. Same issue, the Leave your Message option is grayed out, so I cannot change it.
hevaK
Star
Star

I tried restarting both the doorbell and the smart hub it's connected to, same exact behavior either way.  There are no updates pending for either too.  9 months later and it seems like absolutely no progress has been made on this issue.  What's it going to take for Arlo to escalate this?  Most of us here are *paying subscribers*, at least I am, and I feel like Arlo hasn't really given this issue enough attention.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@EricThi @hevaK

Thanks for the update, this release was made on the backend, you will not see a firmware update for your doorbell listed. I will provide your info to the Development team and get back to you ASAP. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue with the doorbell announcing to leave a message when this setting is toggled OFF?

Thanks 

EricThi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello, My issue is that the option is grayed out and I can not disable it. The entire "Leave your message" option is grayed out and I cannot toggle the option
hevaK
Star
Star

I just tried it twice and didn't hear the prompt anymore.  So far, it looks like this is finally working.  I'll keep an eye on it for the next week and report back if it fails again.

Discussion stats
  • 88 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation