Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No chime, wired install

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Giacco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought an Essential Wired Video Doorbell and the plug in Chime 2 but I can’t seem to get anywhere on the doorbell install directions since I don’t have an existing hardwired chime box. Is it not possible to operate the doorbell without an existing hardwired chime? Do I need to have a hardwired chime box installed as opposed to the plug in chime 2?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Giacco wrote:

I bought an Essential Wired Video Doorbell and the plug in Chime 2 but I can’t seem to get anywhere on the doorbell install directions since I don’t have an existing hardwired chime box.

You don't need a traditional chime, but you do need to get 16-24 volts (AC) to the doorbell.  With that setup, you don't need the powerkit - but you should save it, in case you add a chime later.

Options for power include using a hard-wired transformer or a plug-in adapter.  For example,

If that's a problem for you, then consider exchanging the AVD1001 for an AVD2001.

Giacco
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, I should have mentioned that the doorbell has been installed with low voltage already running to it. It blinks when the button is depressed so it’s definitely live and I got so far as to connect my Chime 2 to our home network.

I didn’t install a traditional chime because I thought I’d be able to pair it with the plug in Chime 2, but the instructional process on the app won’t let me get past the traditional chime instructions. Maybe that sheds more light, maybe not…

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Giacco wrote:

I didn’t install a traditional chime because I thought I’d be able to pair it with the plug in Chime 2, but the instructional process on the app won’t let me get past the traditional chime instructions.

Go into the doorbell settings - at the bottom there is a section titled "Paired Devices".  "Add Chime" should be right below that.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation