Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 88 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
hevaK
Star
Star

I recently reset this doorbell and re-activated it through my VMB5000r5 base station to enable homekit features.  I turned off the call setting in the Arlo app (so I could try using Homekit instead) and about half the time when I try ringing the doorbell and answering from the Home app prompt, the Arlo doorbell prompts to press the button again to leave a voice message.  How do I disable this completely?

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

If you are still experiencing the issue, there has a been a recent update that should have resolved this issue, can you reboot your video doorbell/make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app and test again. 

Thanks 

88 REPLIES 88
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @hevaK

Thank you for reporting this, I would like to look in to this for you. I sent you a private message with further information. 

Thank you 

hevaK
Star
Star

Sent

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Thank you

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Received, I will provide an update on this issue as soon as possible. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you have your Doorbell in silent mode when you experience this issue? 

hevaK
Star
Star

Yes, the doorbell is in silent mode as, AFAIK, that's the only way to mute the Arlo apps "incoming call" thing and instead just let homekit notify you that the doorbell rang.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you have your doorbell in silent mode when this occurs?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @hevaK

This issue should be resolved now. Can you try and reboot your Doorbell or initiate a live stream a few times for the device to implement the fix. 

Thanks

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You can also try rebooting your base station then test again.

hevaK
Star
Star

Will do.  Can you share the firmware versions I should expect to see on both devices once they update?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I believe this was a backend fix. If I find out otherwise, I will provide the updated build number

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @hevaK

Was this issue resolved?

Thanks

hevaK
Star
Star

Unfortunately no.  It's still playing the "leave a message" message, however it seeming randomly starts a little past the start of this message, so it's not even clear what the message is.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the update! I have notified the Development team and they are still investigating it. I will provide an update soon.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

I have a request form the development team in regards to the issue you are experiencing. Can you perform the following? Go into settings for Leave a Message, toggle it on, wait 15 seconds, toggle it off. Toggle it on and off twice more, waiting 15 seconds between each. On the last toggle off, leave it off, then re-test. 

There may be an issue with the switch being delayed or not working properly the first couple time. We will continue to investigate pending your results. 

Thank you!

hevaK
Star
Star
Nope, toggling it on and off in the way you described did not resolve it.
hevaK
Star
Star

@ShayneS Is this still being looked at?  I continue to see notifications for “user left a message” through the arlo app, and the prompts continue.  All I want to do is disable the Arlo calling functionality and simply use HomeKit instead.  The options are there, it shouldn’t be this hard, right?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @hevaK 

Can you make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo app v3.5.4?

If you are currently running this version can you try logging out and back in to the app and test again.

Thank you!

hevaK
Star
Star

I have the latest version of the app.  I tried testing again with the same result.  I ring the doorbell once, I hear the upward tone, then ~20s later I hear the downward tone (as if I didn't answer from the Arlo App, which I didn't).  I ring again, hear the upward tone, then the second half of the "press the button to leave a message" message.

This is such a simple thing.  I just want to turn off the Arlo call and message feature and simply use Homekit.  Why can't I do that?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI,

Are you still experiencing this issue?

hevaK
Star
Star

Yes.  I just tested it and it's still happening.  I rang the doorbell once, hear the upward rising chime, then after some number of seconds hear the descending chime.  I rang the doorbell again and hear the upward rising chime again, then a halfway cut-off "leave a message" message.  I thought this was supposed to be fixed?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @hevaK

There has been a firmware update for the VMB5000: FW 1.17 yesterday that should help with this issue. Are you still experiencing this after the update was complete?

hevaK
Star
Star

Yes, still experience the issue even though my base station is on the firmware version you mentioned.  On the second press of the doorbell button (after the first press timed out) I still get a cut-off version of the "please press the button again to leave a message" message.

KachinaShadow
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS 

Up until today my Video Doorbell Mechanical Chime worked fine. Within the last hour it quit working so I restarted the base and it began to work but now has the "leave a message" voice...note that I changed none of the settings (the "leave message" was still set to off).

So I reset the base again and it is now back to not ringing the mechanical chime and it still has the "leave a message" enabled (although the setting is still set to off).

I have tried everything that you had @hevaK do, in this post, and the firmware and app are all up to date (with what's shown in this post). Note that I wasn't even on the app at the time the chime failed but was logged in on the PC and when I logged out the PC and tried to log into the app, it was now asking for a password instead of a fingerprint...I have logged into the app at least a dozen times today, using my fingerprint, with no problem.

I just tried resetting the base once again (I've even cold booted it by disconnecting the power) and now the chime isn't working, the "leave a message" is no longer there but I am still getting a push message that "A voice message was left"...this is getting worse by the minute! 

Just went out and tried it again...first time no chime but still has the "leave message" prompt still sends push notification about voice message. Waited a few minutes and tried again...still no chime but now has the upward tone and NO "leave message" prompt but still sends a push notification that there's a voice message.

Paul

Discussion stats
  • 88 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation