Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
maddly2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

Finally got customer service after multiple cases to admit that the video doorbell HAS to be factory reset every time there is a loss of power to get it to reconnect to your network. Which to many of us means removing it, going through set up, adding routines back in for SmartThings, Alexa, Google and other smart home devices. If it has to have constant power that's ok but have it reset to initial setup on loss of power so I don't have to unmount it, reset it and so on. 

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's not true about needing to reset after a power outage. Mine is on a wall plug transformer which I unplug at times for various reasons and have never had to reset the doorbell. That said, mine is connected to a hub rather then direct to my WiFi but I think I have also tried D2AP early on to test without issue (it's been a while and I haven't thought about it since).

maddly2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am posting what Arlo support told me and there are many, many posters with the exact same issue. Before buying do a search and you will see this is a very common issue. Or as the previous poster stated be prepared to shell out extra for additional components that you shouldn't need per the advertising. 

Gabe1390
Initiate
Initiate
So a severe cold ice storm hit Texas. Power out for a week. Everything except my wired doorbell came back. I’ve tried resetting multiple times and even deleted it and reinstalled. Nothing!!!
I have power after checking with voltage meter. It’s going on week #2 with no doorbell/camera. Getting frustrated with my entire Arlo set up.
5 cameras, 2 spot lights, 1 solar charger, hub and battery charger. This should all work together easily but I’m beginning to lose my confidence after 5+ years. And I’ve recommended Arlo to many of my friends and coworkers who are single ladies living on their own. Someone needs to get me back up and running and fast!
That’s my rant and I’m sticking to it.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Other Texans have noted that removing power from the doorbell (circuitbreaker or remove a wire from the back of the doorbell, maybe for up to a minute) has regained control.

Gabe1390
Initiate
Initiate

I will try with removing the wires from the back of the doorbell. I’ve already tried resetting w/ the circuit breaker. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The idea is to remove power - how you do it is immaterial. Try leaving the power off for a minute. You may need to remove and reconnect the doorbell after this.

alibj
Initiate
Initiate

Any update on this? I lost power last night and my doorbell is now offline even though power has been restored for hours. Doorbell has power, but no lights.  

maddly2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

Because Arlo was too cheap to install a $1 eprom to allow storing the configuration data, anytime you lose power the doorbell is "stuck" with no programming. You have to do a factory reset on the doorbell every time and re-add it. Which has been awesome for us since we live in an area under construction and it's happened several times. 

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Didn’t help here. Still trying to figure it out.
mariospk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. I can confirm that I also need to reset doorbell and reconnect with my phone everytime there is a power shortage-very frustrating!!!

My indoor Arlo camera works fine.

joshuapinter
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any luck with this?

I'm having a similar issue. Power was out for a day. Everything came back but the Arlo Doorbell. Now, no lights are showing up and it's not "connected" in the app. 

I've tried taking it off the wall and using the supplied pin to press the reset button at the back of it for 15+ seconds, but no lights or anything.

I'll try disconnecting from power and also confirm power to the cables next...

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Loss of power for an extended time drains the internal battery. The doorbell won't respond until the wiring recharges that battery to at least some extent. Assuming you haven't actually reset the doorbell it should be working now.

joshuapinter
Aspirant
Aspirant

To follow-up, I:

1.  Disconnected both wires from the back of the doorbell.

2. Tested the wires with a voltmeter to ensure they were indeed providing power - they were. 

3. Waited about 5 minutes.

4. Re-connected both wires. 

5. Waited about 30 seconds and the front lights started to flash.

I kinda assumed that I would have to go through setup again since I originally was trying to factory reset it, but nope, it just connected back up to my Arlo and we're back in business. 

Thanks for the help all! And I hope this helps somebody else. 

Cheers!

Joshua

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation