Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell Corrupted videos

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
supplyguy70
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having problems with the videos on the Arlo doorbell.  If I said that 1/2 of 1/2 of the videos were corrupted, I would be being very generous.  I am wondering if this might be the wiring being old and in need of replacement, Or maybe something else that someone might know of? I'm sharing an example, this is literally just the first one I clicked on.

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd guess it's a connection issue between your doorbell and whatever it's connected to (WiFi or a base). Try lowering the resolution in the doorbell settings to see if that helps.

supplyguy70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Lowered my resolution, Which btw makes no sense, the reason i got this over the competition (that i didn't have to lower the resolution) was so that I could have everything linked into one package and have the resolution that I was looking for.  If I didn't need it in my neighborhood I wouldn't have gotten it in the first place.  Now instead of half of my videos being corrupted Its probably 1/5th of the videos.  I mean, thats better. but still not promising.  That just means that I have a 4/5th's chance of catching the thats stealing things off of my front porch.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHat's you upload speeds from your ISP as measured by speedtest.net? The fact that you lowered resolution which helped but didn't solve the issue really points to some network issue, whether it's between the doorbell and you hub or router or further on in the whole network chain.

supplyguy70
Aspirant
Aspirant

While speedtest is ok, it doesn't take many things into account as fast.com does. 

speedtest shows 920 down / 34.84 up

Fast shows 360 down / 36 up

supplyguy70
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've even gone so far as considering having the copper wiring from the doorbell replaced. but that has nothing to do with the wireless abilities of the doorbell itself.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How is the doorbell connected - WiFi or base/hub? Have you tried the other?

supplyguy70
Aspirant
Aspirant

You have me stumped.  apparently I didn't read the manual well enough.  It is hard wired to the copper wires that supply the power but it is transmitting to the base station via wireless.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The copper wiring is solely for power as well as to trigger an existing chime. The doorbell itself uses WiFi to connect to either your home WiFi or an existing base or hub.  When you set up the doorbell, it appears you connected it to your existing base. You can remove the doorbell from Settings, My Devices and set it up again but this time ignore the detection of your base and choose to use WiFi. This is just for troubleshooting and doesn't have to remain this way unless it's the only way to get it to work as you need.

supplyguy70
Aspirant
Aspirant

As I stated, it is connected to the wires for power, BUT, I will follow through with the rest of it and see what happens.  I'll let you know what turns out from it.  I'm kind of a night owl so I'll do it when everyone else is awake.  Thanks

supplyguy70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems its cleared up for the most part.  I'm not sure whats happened in the past months, but I get a few corrupted videos but nothing like what it was.  However I have to start a new topic...  Lucky me.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation