Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Pritammazumder
Guide
Guide

Constantly gives false movements when i have activity zone set up.

44 REPLIES 44
Jay20
Initiate
Initiate
I continue to get motion notifications outside of my activity zone settings. I live on a fairly busy street so I’m getting notifications every minute. I have called tech support and reset my Video. Nothing has help. Please help.
RichWest
Tutor
Tutor

Yes - same problem here.  Constant alerts for cars driving past on the street on my video door bell.  I've deleted the Activity Zone and then recreated it.  I've removed and restarted the bell, same problem.

This is driving me nuts.  The Activity Zone is a simple basic feature of a system like this - it just has to work.

Is this being fixed????

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RichWest wrote:

Yes - same problem here.  Constant alerts for cars driving past on the street on my video door bell.  I've deleted the Activity Zone and then recreated it.  I've removed and restarted the bell, same problem.

This is driving me nuts.  The Activity Zone is a simple basic feature of a system like this - it just has to work.

Is this being fixed????

I'm seeing this too, and agree it needs to be fixed.

Kellyjo66
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here. I even swapped the activity zone to the part I didn’t want to detect thinking maybe I’m the problem. I even put my sensitivity to as low as I can. Please fix this issue!

OttoVonSteele
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here. I've tried everything but have caught quite a few people chasing the ice cream truck.

I just wish it'd stop suggesting activity zones when they don't currently work.

Great camera and all but I just get bombarded with notifications even when I turn "Vehicle" off as then it just notifies there was "Motion" instead.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo recently deployed a cloud update enhancing Activity Zone accuracy. This should improve the experience for users reporting symptoms of motion detection alerts and recordings occurring outside of their defined Activity Zones. We are continuing to monitor Activity Zone behavior and will provide additional enhancements in the coming weeks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo recently deployed a cloud update enhancing Activity Zone accuracy. This should improve the experience for users reporting symptoms of motion detection alerts and recordings occurring outside of their defined Activity Zones. We are continuing to monitor Activity Zone behavior and will provide additional enhancements in the coming weeks.

Pritammazumder
Guide
Guide
With the recent “cloud fix”, i have seen an improvement in activity zone. Will keep this thread posted when i am sure
MBB61
Tutor
Tutor
No surprise here, Arlo has the worse customer service Ever!!! I set my activity zone as small as I can get it and constantly get alerts from it. In fact I just got another one while typing this. It appears they pushed out a product to compete with Ring and failed to make sure it worked properly first. Some I already had an Arlo I bought that POS and now can’t get any help. Arlo obviously doesn’t have the competency to fix it or just doesn’t care. Either way their customers are screwed!!! I’ll gladly take a refund Arlo!!
Pritammazumder
Guide
Guide
After couple days of monitoring, it appears that activity zone is not working anymore.
Frednadeau
Aspirant
Aspirant
Bought 2 arlo video doorbells, activity zones also not working. They never ever worked for me and I’ve been with arlo for about a year and a half. Buyers beware, if you want to use activity zones, don’t count on it. They’ve been saying they’re fixing it since they got that feature out. It never got fixed for any arlo camera. I have 3 different models and I end up turning off the cameras to save batteries while I’m not there for a week or else they run out of batteries since they’re constantly recording... really ironic considering I’m supposer to get peace of mind and it’s driving me nuts instead...
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent update was deployed to the Arlo cloud that should address the accuracy of Activity Zones. This should improve accuracy by more reliably sending notifications only when motion occurs within defined zones. More work is being done to improve the behavior of Arlo Smart notifications and to fix the Activity Zones error that some users are seeing when not using an AC adapter (battery only). Stay tuned for future updates.

JamesC

yacko2000
Tutor
Tutor
Still having the same problem after all these "updates". EVERYTHING records outside of the activity zones. I've reset the zoom, deleted, re-added zones, nothing works Arlo!!!!! Why even have an activity zone of it doesn't work! I get a recording every 20-30 seconds from cars passing by waaaay outside the defined activity zone. Arlo, you need to keep pushing real updates til this works as *falsely* advertised.
Pro-666
Apprentice
Apprentice

@yacko2000 wrote:
Still having the same problem after all these "updates". EVERYTHING records outside of the activity zones. I've reset the zoom, deleted, re-added zones, nothing works Arlo!!!!! Why even have an activity zone of it doesn't work! I get a recording every 20-30 seconds from cars passing by waaaay outside the defined activity zone. Arlo, you need to keep pushing real updates til this works as *falsely* advertised.

Oh no. I have a Ring video doorbell and I'm experiencing a lot of problems. So I'm researching other brands I could jump to after canceling. If I get this problem with a brand new purchase, I'd go postal. Why can't any company just make a stable video doorbell?

yacko2000
Tutor
Tutor

Do you have doorbell 2/3 or doorbell pro?. The ring pro has custom definable zones that the other ring doorbell models  donot. I'm about to order a doorbell pro to test it

Pritammazumder
Guide
Guide

my device is AVD1001Ar1.2. Bought it from Amazon and description says Arlo Video Doorbell.

Pritammazumder
Guide
Guide

Updates seem to work for 2-3 days. after that, things get back to non-normal (constant alerts outside defined zone).

Pritammazumder
Guide
Guide

Seem to work for 2 days and things get back to non-normal (constant alerts outside the activity zone)

Barry0123
Aspirant
Aspirant
I turned the sensitivity to the minimum and it works fine now. Only records motion in the activity areas.
marcostgs
Tutor
Tutor

Same problem with my Video Doorbell. Every time a car drives by, it notifies me even though the street is outside of the activity zone, which is basically defined as the floor in front of the camera.

My $30 Wyze cameras do a better job with Activity Zones, and also detects Person, etc for free (no subscription).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those still experiencing issues with Activity Zones, please take a look at the following KB articles for best performance and troubleshooting tips:

How do I troubleshoot problems with Arlo activity zones?

What are activity zones and how do I create them?

JamesC

yacko2000
Tutor
Tutor

Did Arlo get bought by Apple?!?.. the way to troubleshoot motion zones not working is for the User to adjust your camera positions and field of view?!?!  Really Arlo, this is a terrible response for a feature that just isn't working! One reason I PAY for motion zones is to be able to get the full field of view and only record in specific spots.. maybe is should just point my doorbell at the floor so it doesn't see the street behind it..  

Pro-666
Apprentice
Apprentice

@yacko2000 wrote:

Do you have doorbell 2/3 or doorbell pro?. The ring pro has custom definable zones that the other ring doorbell models  donot. I'm about to order a doorbell pro to test it

I have a Ring Pro purchased 2017. I got my custom zones set how I require, due to environment factors, like light ring false positive due to off zone car headlight. I get alerts from birds, shadow cloud covering, bees, spiders and cats. But sometimes not when I get a package and definitely not when I actually go out to get that package. But I digress. This is the Arlo community, not the ring community.

meganerd
Aspirant
Aspirant
I attempted to provide feedback on the (hacks) articles posted but got this error when I submitted. Seems the Arlo website doesnt work either. 
An Unexpected Error has occurred.
  • Your request failed. Please contact your system administrator and provide the date and time you received the error and this Exception ID: 3BC50E35.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

Discussion stats