Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
PeterD27
Aspirant
Aspirant

I made the mistake of buying this video doorbell before reading about all the problems with the speaker volume.

The setup was a breeze - one of the best apps around walks you through the process & explains everything on the way through. - I was in business within 10 minutes !

Then I discovered the audio problems - seconds of delay, & the speaker volume of the doorbell unit is pathetic (totally not fit for purpose).  And yes, I checked that the volume was set to 100%, etc, etc.

The real joke was the siren - it might scare off a fly sitting on the doorbell (providing he had a hearing aid) !!

The video was crisp & clear, but the delay was around 3-5 seconds - probably almost acceptable ??

So how does such a product get released on the market - good camera, brilliant app, tons of esoteric stuff like geo-fencing, person/parcel detection, etc......  BUT, just does not do the basics (its fundamental reason for existing) !!

Perhaps Arlo should educate their young wizz-bang app developers in the art of implementing QoS (Quality of Service) protocols - just imagine where Zoom would be now if they offered Arlo's levels of delay & audio volume !!

Sadly, I suspect that this post will get no response from Arlo (just as so many other posts regarding speaker volume issues have managed).  So another one will be returned for a refund on the basis of "not fit for purpose".

41 REPLIES 41
Joanie123
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just set up my doorbell, and I am so frustrated. This doesn't seem to be a physical speaker issue because the automated voice responses are super loud. When I try to talk, though, nobody can hear me. Any eta on the fix? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @Joanie123

Are you performing a manually initiated live stream or trying to two way talk after answering a phone call? If this is over a call make sure to unmute via the on screen Mic option. Does the same occur over the web portal as well (If this is a manual live stream only)?

MichaelCone
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased four of the Pro 4 cameras recently about a month ago.

I use the Samsung S21 FE phone.

My Arlo app version is 3.7.1_28485

I have never been able to speak through the camera speakers.

I also use Blink and Nest cameras.  Both Blink and Nest allow me to speak from my phone through the camera - but not the Arlo cameras.

New-Ocram
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue here. Works fine on PC, not working on 2 Samsungs. S9+ and S20FE. 

JonPim
Initiate
Initiate

Same problem as all others here with Arlo Pro 4 Camera.

Wish I had done google search before purchase, because internet is full of similar reports.

Speaker does not work properly with Samsung phones, but works fine with Desktop.

I have returned my Arlo cameras and bought Ring instead - already tested and Ring camera speakers do work with my S20.

Further, i have reported this issue to Consumer Association (Which).

They have Pro 3 and Pro 4 as Best Buys - this is clearly wrong.

NGADMR01
Initiate
Initiate

I just got an Arlo Essential and got the same issue. The camera speaker only works from my PC browser. But not from my Samsung S21.

My Arlo app version is 4.0.2.1_28506 Released 12/9/22

peterknookala
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am experiencing same low volume two way communication issues with my newly purchased Arlo Pro 4. Two way communication works fine from the computer and my wife's Iphone11, while my own Samsung S10e and Galaxy A52s both running Android12 are completely inaudible. Seems like this issue only appears on Android phones..

Br, 

Peter

shizam_76
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, I just installed 3 Arlo Pro 4 cams outside. Through the app on our Samsung phones, you can barely hear anything on the cams. Log in to the website on our chromebook, loud good audio on the cams.

In fact, one cam keeps turning the mic back on automatically after I end the talk. Now I'm seeing these threads. 

Is anything fixed by Arlo yet? Did I make a mistake buying them??

Agent64442
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is a geek squad installer. Also having issue with the customers house installing Arlo pro fours with the same issue on android phone. Is there any resolution to this problem?

AD100
Initiate
Initiate

The pro4 xl speaker level is very low when used from the app with a Samsung s21.  I can see this has been a problem going back for a few years.  Did it ever get resolved?

CLG24
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has there been an update?  I'm having the same problem.  I can hear through the camera but I can't use the speaker as it doesn't work with my Samsung S21 phone.  Microphone works on my laptop.

shizam76
Star
Star

There's no update. The CEO should be fired. Nobody should be buying these things. 

BepM
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ShayneS can you please provide update on this issue. I have just purchased 4 X Arlo Pro 5's and have the same issue.

My firmware is up to date, speaker volume is at 100%.

I have a Samsung Note 10 and can not hear any communication out of the arlo speaker.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BepM wrote:

I have a Samsung Note 10 and can not hear any communication out of the arlo speaker.

One troubleshooting suggestion is to use a headset if you have one.  Then see if the audio works correctly in both directions with the headset.

If you don't have a headset, you could alternatively test with a PC (my.arlo.com) and see if works correctly when using your PC audio.

BepM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your comment.

I have read extensively on the issue and am aware of all of the suggested work arounds.

I'm however not looking for a workaround, I'm seeking update on a permanent solution.

I rarely have headphones or earbuds setup unless I'm working. So it really isn't practical to rely on this as a solution, particularly as I anticipate I'd most likely need to use this function spontaneously and when out of the house.

Thanks!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BepM wrote:

I rarely have headphones or earbuds setup unless I'm working. So it really isn't practical to rely on this as a solution, particularly as I anticipate I'd most likely need to use this function spontaneously and when out of the house.

I get that. Which is why I suggested it for troubleshooting, and not as a workaround.

It would let you figure out if the issue is with the phone audio/app, or with the doorbell hardware itself.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There has been some adjustments made to help with this audio issue. Can you test your devices again and provide any feedback with the speaker volume. 

Thank you 

Discussion stats