Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Essential Video Doorbell Wire Free AVD2001B Speaker Volume

Discussion stats
PeterD27
Aspirant
Aspirant

I made the mistake of buying this video doorbell before reading about all the problems with the speaker volume.

The setup was a breeze - one of the best apps around walks you through the process & explains everything on the way through. - I was in business within 10 minutes !

Then I discovered the audio problems - seconds of delay, & the speaker volume of the doorbell unit is pathetic (totally not fit for purpose).  And yes, I checked that the volume was set to 100%, etc, etc.

The real joke was the siren - it might scare off a fly sitting on the doorbell (providing he had a hearing aid) !!

The video was crisp & clear, but the delay was around 3-5 seconds - probably almost acceptable ??

So how does such a product get released on the market - good camera, brilliant app, tons of esoteric stuff like geo-fencing, person/parcel detection, etc......  BUT, just does not do the basics (its fundamental reason for existing) !!

Perhaps Arlo should educate their young wizz-bang app developers in the art of implementing QoS (Quality of Service) protocols - just imagine where Zoom would be now if they offered Arlo's levels of delay & audio volume !!

Sadly, I suspect that this post will get no response from Arlo (just as so many other posts regarding speaker volume issues have managed).  So another one will be returned for a refund on the basis of "not fit for purpose".

41 REPLIES 41
Azeemmarecan
Tutor
Tutor
The camera speaker does not work with newer Samsung devices. Tested on S10plus and Galaxy Note 20. You unmute mic via the app to speak, but no sound from camera speaker. Works fine with browser on pc as well as my older Android LG G6.
Support couldn't help either.
Anyone else with Samsung on Android 12 facing this issue?
Appears like a known issue which they've not fixed. And we're in 2022!!

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Bought-an-Galaxy-S10-and-trying-to-talk-through-app-but-quiet...

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Baby/Samsung-s10-s10-microphone-volume-too-low/m-p/1695414#M4383
Feralkatz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue here: When using Samsung Galaxy S10+, the Arlo Pro4 camera speakers can barely be heard. The sound coming out of the camera speakers when using push to talk is inaudible. 

Arlo - time to correct this issue. If push to talk does not work for Samsung users, the risk to your sales is substantial  

Azeemmarecan
Tutor
Tutor
Been in contact with their support teams for over a month now and tried everything troubleshooting they recommended. This is now escalated to their Engineers. Hope they deploy a firmware fix for this.
Pls let their support team know of this. The more customers escalate, the sooner they'll prioritize the fix release.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Feralkatz

Have you tried adjusting the speaker volume from the device settings > Speaker volume? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue with Arlo app version 3.6.6? 

Azeemmarecan
Tutor
Tutor
Yes. I have the latest version installed 3.6.6_28456.
Based on the most recent update from your support team - "our team is diligently working on this issue and will surely get back to you for more updates."
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Does this issue still occur with Arlo app version 3.6.8?

Feralkatz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still not working. No sound at the Arlo speaker when using Galaxy S10+.

Azeemmarecan
Tutor
Tutor

It works for me now on 3.6.8_28460. However there is no sound heard on my phone's speaker. It reversed the issue that I had before. When I use a headset, I'm able to hear sound on my phone via Arlo camera's mic, and its audible on Arlo speaker when I speak through mic.

I'm going to speak with one of the support team member this week about this.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Azeemmarecan

Are you still experiencing this issue with your device? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @PeterD27

Are you still experiencing this issue with your speaker volume? 

PeterD27
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shayne  -  Wow, am I embarrassed or what !!!!  After a couple of days of frustration & looking for solutions on the web, I was getting ready to pack it back up for a return when I noticed the protective film around the edges of the unit, peeled it off (revealing the speaker grill), and "lo & behold" - perfectly acceptable speaker volume !!!  So, my abject apologies for prematurely stirring the pot 😞   I wonder if some of the others having speaker volume issues have fallen for the same trap - surely I can't be the only member of the Arlo Community who is that dumb !!!  And Shayne, thank you for your very prompt follow-up - most impressed !  Kind Regards, Peter.

rmart911
Aspirant
Aspirant

My speaker volume is terrible. Set to 100% and yes, the plastic over the speaker has been removed. I'm here looking for something I missed. If I can't find a solution it's going back and I guess I'll get the Ring.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@PeterD27

Yikes, I'm glad you spotted that and everything is working now : )

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be here to help. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @rmart911

Does the outgoing audio change at all when using push to talk on the web browser vs the Arlo App? 

Also does the volume change at all if using any other devices, Phone, Tablet, Android/iOS etc? 

rmart911
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I go to the web browser on my laptop I can hear the doorbell fine. When I use the phone it's barely noticeable that I'm talking. Same when using my wife's phone.

So, it has to be a setting in the app or on my phone?

Now what?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@rmart911

Thanks for that additional info, Was this occurring on iPhones or Android devices? Do you have the Name/Model of the phones affected and the operating system version iOS 15/Android 13 etc.?

I will notify my team to look in to this for you ASAP.

rmart911
Aspirant
Aspirant

We're an Android family. Tried it on two phones, both Galaxy S10s running Android v12.

The updater doesn't offer an update to Android v13, don't know if the phone is too old for that or not.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you, I have added that info to my investigation, I'll provide another update ASAP. 

rmart911
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.

I just purchased the setup on Monday, haven't installed it at the door yet because of this issue.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@rmart911

Understood, I will definitely have this looked in to, I already have acknowledgment of your info being received. I'll keep updating you as soon as I hear more. 

rmart911
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great call with Jeffrey today, issue is identified and has been sent to their dev team for follow-up. Looking forward to the fix. Like the camera so far in all other respects.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@rmart911

Awesome! That's great news.He just informed me and we have the dev team working on this one. I'll be sure to keep you and this thread updated as soon as I receive more info. Have a great weekend : )

Discussion stats