Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

"This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view." error for VMB5000rs

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
Highlighted
Follower
Follower

I am using a VMB5000rs with two cameras both of them outdoors. One is connected with a power cable and the other one is on its own battery.  The system was working great in the beginning  but now it seen is getting worse. NOW when i try to watch the video clips recorded on my browser i'm getting this alert (This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view.) ALSO i'm a premium paying customer for one of the cameras to see the timeline with i can't see at ALL... What is going on?

Model: VMB5000 | Arlo Ultra SmartHub
Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@cguz321 wrote:

NOW when i try to watch the video clips recorded on my browser i'm getting this alert (This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view.) 

That began when you switched to 2K or 4K recording.

The only Windows browser I know of that will play 2K or 4K HEVC recordings from Arlo is Edge - so try that.

Though this also requires a graphics card that supports HEVC, so even Edge won't play the videos on all PCs.

Highlighted
Master Master
Master

Yep. Same here. I'm so used to viewing my recordings in my browser but now that I have 4K and 2K recordings, I have to remember to view those on my phone unless I want to download to my PC (which I don't really). Not Arlo's fault that most browsers won't let us play 4K or 2K content. I'm using Chrome on a Windows 10 Pro computer and not really keen to use Edge just for this

Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are similar posts in other camera forums.  JamesC has provided this link: Which devices are supported for HEVC 4K or 2K playback?

However, I'm having this problem in Safari on Mac as well, which that site is telling me should be supported.

Model: VMC5040 | Arlo Ultra Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

Before Arlo switch from flash   I could see 2k on desktop but not Tablet on edge. then after that  I could see them on tablet. Now about a week or so ago I get the must download on tablet. Not sure what happed there. 

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Master Master
Master

I caved. Now I'm using the Edge browser just for Arlo stuff

Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Can't swear to it but Iv'e been seeing some talk about the new Chromium Edge not supporting HEVC, this keeps me from upgrading it because you have to go into reg edit to get rid of it.  It seems they want to force people to use HTML5 instead of HEVC, much the same way Microsoft and Google make you click on flash all the time to push the transition away flash.

Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

I've been seeing some talk about the new Chromium Edge not supporting HEVC, 

It is working for me, but it might not work on PCs that don't have hardware acceleration for HEVC at 2K or 4K.

On the main problem - I have seen cases reported here where the video will play for a second or so, and then stop with the "download to view" error.  That's a different problem - the browser definitely supports the codec, since it is playing for a bit. 

Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

One would think that if the current Edge is working fine hardware acceleration would not be the problem.  The only reported issues I've seen (and that is not Arlo specific) were with people who could no longer play them after the update to the new improved and faster as they say Chromium Edge.  I have family that have had issues with a number of things since the update and so will be staying with the current Edge.  However, Microsoft has a way of eventually forcing it on you and forcing others to adapt

Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

Like my earlier post it didn't  play  2K on my tablet but it did play after the arlo update that got rid of flash then stopped again several weeks later so not hardware here. Not sure what happened. 

Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

One would think that if the current Edge is working fine hardware acceleration would not be the problem.  

Microsoft has an HEVC add-on that used to be freely available, but now costs $.99.  That was supposed to provide software support for HEVC if the hardware didn't include it.  I am guessing here, but there is a reasonable chance that the add-on doesn't work with Chromium edge.

It does work on my PCs, but they all have hardware acceleration for HEVC.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation